Fox Podium 3 shock

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

Fox Podium 3 shock

Postby redrider » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:29 pm

Anyone running the Fox shock that can give a review? Debating revalve of the Sachs, buying the Fox or modding an Ohlins ttx.
redrider

Re: Fox Podium 3 shock

Postby Enmerdeur » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:11 pm

I would be interested as well. Thinking of getting a desert setup for my 300 using KYB SSS forks and Fox shock. Save the Stillwell modified Sachs for mountain work
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Postby Arctra » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:01 pm

I know I am not specifically answering your question, but by the same token I am not trying to question your idea.

If you watch the video on Cody Webb's bike here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-feAR_x5A4A

At around the 4 minute mark they mention they use the Fox shock specifically for the "Bottom Out Control" so that they can run the shock really plush for over the rocks and rough terrain, but when he then does big jumps with flat landings they can control the bottom-out. Sounds a little like a "high tech rubber bumper", but I'm possibly just ignorant.

Looking at the website (http://www.ridefox.com/product.php?m=mo ... cks&p=3341) the other "feature" it has is that is worth talking about is the "Anti Wallow Control", which "ensures that your rebound adjustments have no effect on compression" - you can replicate this "feature" on your Sachs with a Racetech Rebound Separation Valve which is a lot cheaper and from my own first hand experience it is very effective.

If the main advantage is the bottom-out control then it sounds like it has very specific applications that give it an advantage over the Sachs. I cannot see how it is going to give you much of an advantage for general riding unless you find yourself struggling with bottom-out control a lot.

After having the shim stack changed up in my Sachs to suit my riding I have to say it performs very well. Yesterday I was riding up snotty rocky hills with square edged planks of wood making stairs and helping prevent erosion, and the rear end handled everything beautifully - I could feel it was keeping the rear wheel in contact with the ground as it powered me up.
Arctra

Postby redrider » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:28 pm

I really have no complaints with the SACHS shock on my 2011 GG 250 after revalve. It's not as good as the TTX on my Nambotin but it's good. I'm setting up my new Beta for next season with Ohlins cartridge forks and was contemplating a TTX shock to match or the Fox.
redrider

Postby webmaster » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:32 am

The Sachs is an *excellent* shock once it is tuned properly - unless there is something specific that you are willing to pay alot of money for - no need to change - just my opinion. The quality of the components (the materials used, machining, build quality) are very high.

The sachs, like the "pre TTX" top shelf ohlins shocks, has an alloy steel body. Less expansion during extended abuse so less fade in long races. Also, less oil contamination compared to an aluminum hardcoated body - so longer intervals between service are a plus.

I have ohlins on both ends of one bike I own and marzocchi forks/sachs shock on another. The ohlins is an older alloy steel bodied shock - not TTX. Once properly set up - both perform extremely well and one doesn't stand out in performance in any way over the other.

jeff
Webmaster
Beta Riders Club
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby Enmerdeur » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:04 pm

I am very happy with my Stillwell tuned Sachs suspension for its intended purposes. It does very well on mountain single track. That is what I had it setup for. It does not do as well in faster desert whoops. I have a KTM 450 that has been my desert sled but there are some things about the Beta 300 that I prefer over the KTM and am thinking of just having one bike with two different suspension setups to fit the different environments. I hate compromise.

I have obtained a set of brand new KYB SSS forks that I want to setup for desert on the Beta. At the same time I would like a shock setup to match. The Fox seems like it might be a reasonable fit unless I can get another Sachs setup for less.
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Postby GMP » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:09 am

Jeff,

The new Beta Sachs is an alloy body shock, and from all accounts a high quality unit as the was the steel body. I think its MUCH better than the latest Ohlins on the GGs that seemed like a price point version.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby thumperrider1 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:52 am

Not alot out there on it Walt.

Here was a post.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=411
2014 250RR Racing - Sold
thumperrider1

Postby thumperrider1 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:55 am

I have the stillwell revalve on my sachs and after some recent adjustments it's working quite well. I find when standing I don't feel too much. Stock for me it was way too soft and lacked some rebound. Getting the correct spring and preload is probably key.
2014 250RR Racing - Sold
thumperrider1

Postby GMP » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:12 am

Thats exactly what I had corrected on mine, and its pretty good now. I have to say though that my second go at the KYB SSS valving had me thinking less about the fork and noticing the shock more. Its due for an oil change though.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Next

Return to Suspension