KYB forks into Beta

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

KYB forks into Beta

Postby masta-BETA » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:25 pm

Hey there guys, I'm interested in swapping out my sachs forks as I just don't feel confident in them, I've been reading your guys threads on this conversion could someone point me to the right thread or let me know which Yamaha forks will fit into the beta clamps and what I need to do for this conversion I may have access to either 06 wr450f or 07 yz250f forks are either of these any good for this conversion do I need the Yamaha axle, what do I need in the way of spacer, caliper using the Beta front wheel. All information very much appreciated as I'm not very technically minded. Cheers Richard
masta-BETA

Re: KYB forks into Beta

Postby redrider » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:59 pm

From what I've gathered recently....

2008 and earlier KYB SSS have a larger diameter upper tube at the top triple so you'll need an upper triple clamp made (contact 'twowheels' in this forum).

2009-2014 yz450f & yz250f KYB SSS forks will mount directly into the Beta triple clamps. (2014 has a different axle diameter though)

yz250f/yz125 KYBs are 5mm shorter than the SACHS and the yz450f/yz250 KYBs are 5mm longer.

Yes you need the Yamaha axle as the modified spacers will make up the difference in axle diameter to the Beta wheel bearings(or you could just run a yamaha wheel and trim the left side spacer to center the wheel).

You'll need a different Caliper mounting bracket (hanger) from "Braking" , POW106 is the part number. I think the Beta front wheel disc is 260mm and the yamaha is 250mm.

WR KYBs are probably all open chamber forks like the SACHS I think.

This is just what I've gathered after asking the same questions as you in recent weeks though I have not completed the project. For the best info, pm 'twowheels' and/or 'GMP' as they've actually done this conversion.
redrider

Postby twowheels » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:07 pm

Very different forks that you have mentioned - the WR has open-chamber forks (favored heavily by Dave Johnson at Smart Performance) and the YZF closed-chamber ... which pretty much everyone else likes :D In either case your access to parts will be much better than with the Sachs, although I will say we've had very good success re-valving those as well.

Once you decide on your forks, measure the upper clamping land on the fork leg. The Beta triple clamp is a 54mm hole - the KYBs are either 54 or 56mm, in which case I'd be happy to get you set up with an upper triple.

Depending on which fork you use you'll need either a POW13 or a POW106 (iirc) but check with the Braking website. If you end up with the WRs you'll likely want to get a set of fork guards as well.

Once you get your forks I could bundle up the bits and bobs and ship them to you.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby masta-BETA » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:44 pm

[quote="twowheels"]Very different forks that you have mentioned - the WR has open-chamber forks (favored heavily by Dave Johnson at Smart Performance) and the YZF closed-chamber ... which pretty much everyone else likes :D In either case your access to parts will be much better than with the Sachs, although I will say we've had very good success re-valving those as well. quote]

Hey there, thanks for the very quick reply, I've had my forks revalved twice but they still give me the shits I feel very uneasy when I'm hitting rocks, square edges and ruts at speed , if your having good success at revalving the sachs forks and getting them to work better then maybe I'd be better off spending a few more dollars on them, as that may save me some money and the hassle of changing the forks to the kyb's, can I get the guy that revalved my forks to give you a call to have a chat about what your doing in reguards to revalving and where he is at with my forks. Cheers Richard
masta-BETA

Postby twowheels » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:33 pm

masta-BETA wrote:
twowheels wrote:Very different forks that you have mentioned - the WR has open-chamber forks (favored heavily by Dave Johnson at Smart Performance) and the YZF closed-chamber ... which pretty much everyone else likes :D In either case your access to parts will be much better than with the Sachs, although I will say we've had very good success re-valving those as well. quote]

Hey there, thanks for the very quick reply, I've had my forks revalved twice but they still give me the shits I feel very uneasy when I'm hitting rocks, square edges and ruts at speed , if your having good success at revalving the sachs forks and getting them to work better then maybe I'd be better off spending a few more dollars on them, as that may save me some money and the hassle of changing the forks to the kyb's, can I get the guy that revalved my forks to give you a call to have a chat about what your doing in reguards to revalving and where he is at with my forks. Cheers Richard

The Sachs can be made to work as well as almost any open-chamber fork out there, but you won't be able to touch the KYB SSS dual-chambers. For a host of reasons the initial grief in fitting the KYBs is well worth it.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
twowheels

Postby Hubert Carpet » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:50 pm

You can also go for the KYBs from 2009 to 2012 Husqvarnas. OC from the TEs or CC from the TXs. Simple straightforward and well understood forks but not as sophisticated as the SSS fork. Still make the Sachs look like 2 broom handles.

A straight fit into the yokes and they take the Beta spindle and wheel. You can either use a Brembo front caliper as these were OEM on the Huskys or use a GasGas hanger and keep the Nissin.

You will need to shave about 1.5mm from each spacer and swap the disc bolts to low profile heads. You need to do a bit of filing here and there as there is reduced space between the end lugs but it's worth it.
2020 200RR.
2014 300RR. Gone but not forgotten.
Hubert Carpet

Postby GMP » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:18 am

If your going to make the effort of a swap, why make what is essentially a lateral move to a set of OC forks, unless you have them on hand and $$ is an issue? Not only are the SSS forks better, but they are more common. For the guys who like the action of an OC fork, it's easy to tune the SSS to feel similar or even softer. I know, I just UNDID one like that. The Husky KYB SSS version is more of a direct fit, but less common as well. More internal plastic parts than the Yamaha versions too. I always think about support and parts down the road when doing stuff like this, as well as performance.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Montesa » Sun May 03, 2015 10:32 am

Montesa

Postby ks9mm » Sun May 03, 2015 5:30 pm

To add to the thread...

Based on my research
2010 and later Yamaha WR are SSS forks
2014 Beta 300RR
2015 Husky TE125 (sold)
Husky WR300 (sold)
Husky TE510 supermoto sold
ks9mm

Postby twowheels » Sun May 03, 2015 10:56 pm

ks9mm wrote:To add to the thread...

Based on my research
2010 and later Yamaha WR are SSS forks

2012 WR450 ...
twowheels

Next

Return to Suspension