KYB forks into Beta

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

Re: KYB forks into Beta

Postby Silverfox » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:13 am

I used KTM spacers and machined them down to suit. Changed the Beta wheel bearings and seals to ktm ones. Think it was about 4mm on the disk side and about the same on the other
Silverfox

Postby Doofry » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:20 am

Silverfox wrote:I used KTM spacers and machined them down to suit. Changed the Beta wheel bearings and seals to ktm ones. Think it was about 4mm on the disk side and about the same on the other

Ah ok so it that the route most folks have went to accommodate the different axle diameters then? Hopefully you can gett suitable bearings with a 22mm internal diameter and the Beta wheels external diameter (whatever that is).
Doofry

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:49 am

Doofry wrote:
Marty Moose wrote:Can't help you with your issue Doofry but you helped me :) Ordered some Hyde racing spacers today. Pretty $$ by the time i get them to Western Australia but does save me hassle and time also they are anodised red win win :)

MM

Glad I could be of assistance :D

Which forks axle are you fitting? I assume your axle is the same diameter as the Beta then?

I assume so it says what you need to use the std Beta Wheel with the KYB SSS forks. I am going to get some KYB SSS forks from the earlier models with the 35mm offset. The ones I got are AOS forks which is a bit of a downer.

MM
Marty Moose

Postby Doofry » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:46 pm

For those that are able to use an axle with the original Beta diameter the SKF WSB-KIT-F021-BE kit may be of interest if you're looking for a new set of spacers to modify. The kit includes bearings, seals and spacer for £45 here in the UK. Could be a good option if you fancy fitting new bearings anyway.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKF-Wheel-Sea ... Sw--1Wspk9
Doofry

Postby Silverfox » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:43 am

Doofry wrote:
Silverfox wrote:I used KTM spacers and machined them down to suit. Changed the Beta wheel bearings and seals to ktm ones. Think it was about 4mm on the disk side and about the same on the other

Ah ok so it that the route most folks have went to accommodate the different axle diameters then? Hopefully you can gett suitable bearings with a 22mm internal diameter and the Beta wheels external diameter (whatever that is).

Cannot remember the part number but the bearings are an on the shelf part as are the seals. They are not 22mm internal. The KTM spacers are 22mm internal, so you need Beta external and KTM spacer internal sizes. Get a set of spacers of a ktm that run 22mm axel size, front or rears, then measure the outer size of the beta bearings, and measure theinternal size needed for the KTM spacers. They slide inside the bearing. Hope this makes sense. It will when you have the spacers in your hand
Silverfox

Postby GMP » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:25 am

The only problem with that is KTM spacers are butter soft. For a custom part its better to start with a more robust material or system. I used stainless steel, which is a little more pricey to get made but lasts almost forever in a front wheel app. Now with the SKF kits available, and seeing how long they last in my rear wheels, I'd be inclined to go that route as a starting point. With reusable sleeves made for the 22mm YZF axel, its a simple cut to the alloy SKF spacer, cheap.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Doofry » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:07 am

Silverfox, thanks that does make sense I just didn't think standard spacers fitted inside the bearings.

GMP, where would I pick up a sleeve for the 22mm axle?
Doofry

Postby GMP » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:41 am

You have to make them or draw up and have made. Same with the dimensions for the modified spacers or custom spacers if you go that route.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Doofry » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:20 pm

GMP wrote:You have to make them or draw up and have made. Same with the dimensions for the modified spacers or custom spacers if you go that route.

No problem thanks for confirming. I guess that's what I needed to know. I'm wondering if it'd be easier to machine a custom SS axle based on the YX one but with a Beta diameter? Need to check the YZ fork lugs I suppose to make sure theYZ shoulder isn't the same diameter or smaller than the actual Beta axle.

Anyway, triple clamps came from Boano today and slid straight on.
Doofry

Postby GMP » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:59 pm

Simple sleeves will be far cheaper and can be made from aluminum. You could probably start with a set of worn out YZ spacers and turn them down if they are long enough.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension