SP Suggestions for Tuning Your Beta Suspension

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

SP Suggestions for Tuning Your Beta Suspension

Postby stillwellperformance » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:11 pm

Dirt Rider Magazine called us for help recently when they were stuck trying to set up their 2015 300RR test bike, so we wanted to share some some general guidelines for setting up your Beta that might help you. Feel free to give us a call at the shop for more specifics:

In general, the Beta's are razor sharp turning bikes-when set up properly. There are some slight differences between tuning the open cartridge Sachs fork and the red Zokes. Mainly, the Zokes will tend to ride a bit higher due to the design. There is a whole book on tuning to be written but here are some general suggestions for getting started.

The basics:

*Make sure you have the correct springs on the bike. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to zero in your new bike than trying to adjust when the springs are out of spec. The Beta manual is generally accurate and a decent place to start. When we revalve bikes there are a number of factors that could slightly change the best rate for your specifics, so determine what your end goal will be.

Once you have the right springs, we recommend to start:

-Set the Sachs or Zoke forks to the first line (you can further adjust later, we are only looking for a general baseline right now)
-Set your race sag on the Sachs to 108-110mm to start (you will come back to this and fine tune later)
-Set clickers to the middle of the range

As Chris the Editor at Dirt Rider learned, the Beta bikes intercorrelate small changes from the front to the back, and the back to the front, so we suggest small steps when tuning (2-3 clicks at a time, 3-5mm sag changes).

We recommend the following sequence if you are just starting out tuning your bike, as doing things in the following order makes small changes easier to feel a difference on. Once you have determined a baseline, you can make individual changes where you feel the bike needs them but ONLY DO ONE CHANGE AT A TIME!!!

In general, the easiest way to tune is to focus on the fork compression first, then shock low speed compression. Once you find what feels best there, move to the fork rebound then shock rebound. (Compression is the easiest to feel a difference, and once set it is fairly straightforward to find a good rebound setting for your specifics). Lastly, adjust your HS shock compression. This adjustment also affects ride heigh somewhat, FYI.

Find a good middle of the road setting (your baseline), then go back and adjust your sag 3-5 mm each way. You will be surprised how much this will change the way the bike feels-each rider is different, but our typical Beta setup ends up around 108-110mm. Now you can begin the fine tuning process-but that's another whole different animal lol.

I suggest these steps because you can educate yourself better on how your suspension works without getting it too far off of a baseline. For you more advanced guys out there, try this sequence and see if gives you any more feedback at each step-you might be surprised ;-)...

Lastly, If you get stuck-go back to your original baseline and start over. And-you don't need to do a 30 mile loop to accomplish this initial tuning, find a 1/4-1/2 mile stretch of the typical terrain you are tuning for. Hope this helped!

Keep It Pinned!
Alan Stillwell
Tuner and Factory Mechanic for AMA #1 Cody Webb
@Tunerdude
@stillwellperformance
http://www.stillwellperformance.com
stillwellperformance

Re: SP Suggestions for Tuning Your Beta Suspension

Postby Rider793 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:02 pm

Good information. Is the target static sag 30 to 40mm?
Rider793

Postby stillwellperformance » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:45 pm

Yes, in some cases (Pro Rider/EX/Extreme events) it is OK to go over 40 a bit. But Beta's, like most bikes do not respond well to a too light spring (28mm or less)
Alan Stillwell
@Tunerdude
@stillwellperformance
stillwellperformance

Postby Knox Enduro » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:02 am

I am still amazed at how much you helped us at the TKO and Atlanta EX just by bouncing the bike up and down and turning some clickers. Ty is very happy now that you did the revalve.
Knox Enduro

Postby ricoyam » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:53 pm

I have a 430 RS, off the floor it felt harsh and the rear was kicking a bit. In the shop I backed off the compression on the fork two clicks and the low speed damping on the shock two clicks. I figured this would give me a good baseline to start actually making adhustments out on the trail. Well it feels near perfect right out of the truck. I don't have many hours on it yet and as been recommended will change the suspension fluids with some high quality stuff as I hit the 10 hour mark. It felt great all day long as it sits though. I let a friend try the bike and he outweighs me probably by 40 pounds and he thought the suspension was great too. Speaks pretty highly of the Sachs components if it can feel that good to riders in different weight zones.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:12 am

stillwellperformance wrote:Dirt Rider Magazine called us for help recently when they were stuck trying to set up their 2015 300RR test bike, so we wanted to share some some general guidelines for setting up your Beta that might help you. Feel free to give us a call at the shop for more specifics:

In general, the Beta's are razor sharp turning bikes-when set up properly. There are some slight differences between tuning the open cartridge Sachs fork and the red Zokes. Mainly, the Zokes will tend to ride a bit higher due to the design. There is a whole book on tuning to be written but here are some general suggestions for getting started.

The basics:

*Make sure you have the correct springs on the bike. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to zero in your new bike than trying to adjust when the springs are out of spec. The Beta manual is generally accurate and a decent place to start. When we revalve bikes there are a number of factors that could slightly change the best rate for your specifics, so determine what your end goal will be.

Once you have the right springs, we recommend to start:

-Set the Sachs or Zoke forks to the first line (you can further adjust later, we are only looking for a general baseline right now)
-Set your race sag on the Sachs to 108-110mm to start (you will come back to this and fine tune later)
-Set clickers to the middle of the range

As Chris the Editor at Dirt Rider learned, the Beta bikes intercorrelate small changes from the front to the back, and the back to the front, so we suggest small steps when tuning (2-3 clicks at a time, 3-5mm sag changes).

We recommend the following sequence if you are just starting out tuning your bike, as doing things in the following order makes small changes easier to feel a difference on. Once you have determined a baseline, you can make individual changes where you feel the bike needs them but ONLY DO ONE CHANGE AT A TIME!!!

In general, the easiest way to tune is to focus on the fork compression first, then shock low speed compression. Once you find what feels best there, move to the fork rebound then shock rebound. (Compression is the easiest to feel a difference, and once set it is fairly straightforward to find a good rebound setting for your specifics). Lastly, adjust your HS shock compression. This adjustment also affects ride heigh somewhat, FYI.

Find a good middle of the road setting (your baseline), then go back and adjust your sag 3-5 mm each way. You will be surprised how much this will change the way the bike feels-each rider is different, but our typical Beta setup ends up around 108-110mm. Now you can begin the fine tuning process-but that's another whole different animal lol.

I suggest these steps because you can educate yourself better on how your suspension works without getting it too far off of a baseline. For you more advanced guys out there, try this sequence and see if gives you any more feedback at each step-you might be surprised ;-)...

Lastly, If you get stuck-go back to your original baseline and start over. And-you don't need to do a 30 mile loop to accomplish this initial tuning, find a 1/4-1/2 mile stretch of the typical terrain you are tuning for. Hope this helped!

Keep It Pinned!

Thanks for the info!!! I appreciate the time shared!!!

As far as determining springs for your weight ..is it usually going by the weight listed on the Beta usa accessories site? I have a 15' 300 rr with sachs fork.. I'm a slowing ex expert many years ago riding technical and some open riding and 230 lb 6'1"...riding probably much more like a B rider these days.. I know it's kind of not fair laying this out here.. Maybe I should just call and talk to you later.. The main question is related to judging which springs to choose front and back.

http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg ... 882380.pdf

I actually rode a 250 rr with a .50 up front and a 6 in back for my Dealer that I think you did? for king of the motos last year . He's a big guy 260 more or less.. I rode some tighter trails with that bike since he bought it and brought it back to Hawaii.. and I didn't get to open it up but it sure felt great. .Sachs front and back..
hawaiidirtrider

Postby stillwellperformance » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:58 am

We built our SP spring charts dorectly from our testing and they do tend to be different from the published Beta rates in some cases. We take into account many more things when building a revalved solution and tend to take it on a case by case basis.
Alan Stillwell
@Tunerdude
@stillwellperformance
stillwellperformance

Postby Balkan boy » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:42 am

When doing an oil change on the Sachs forks,
is it necessary to separate the chamber and the spring and take them out?

http://youtu.be/N0hj84bZv8w
400RR
Balkan boy

Postby twowheels » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:24 pm

Balkan boy wrote:When doing an oil change on the Sachs forks,
is it necessary to separate the chamber and the spring and take them out?

http://youtu.be/N0hj84bZv8w

On open chamber forks you can simply remove the cap and tip the oil out. The next step would be to seperate the cap from the damper rod and remove the spring. Collapse the inner and outer leg, then hold upside down so that when you stroke the damper rod the remaining oil is pumped out. Hang the assembly upside down and let it drip out, invert, then fill to the proper level (stroking the damper rod and inner and outer legs of course to fill the gaps).

Install the springs, reattach the cap to the damper rod, then attach the cap to the outer leg. Next ...
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby stillwellperformance » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:40 pm

In addition to the above reply, if you have an earlier model Sachs for you will need to go through the cap "indexing" procedure to ensure you end up with the proper amount of rebound clicks.
Alan Stillwell
@Tunerdude
@stillwellperformance
stillwellperformance

Next

Return to Suspension