500RS questions

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

Re: 500RS questions

Postby ballisticexchris » Thu May 07, 2015 4:31 pm

deleted
Last edited by ballisticexchris on Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ballisticexchris

Postby GMP » Thu May 07, 2015 8:16 pm

That's fine just unclear to me what that different view is. The link position? Spring selection? Throw that puppy into a flat turn with the rear lowered and sag over 100mm. I'm sure being a 4stroke helps but that's still the opposite direction to go to weight the front. I can set mine up with more rear sag when doing more tech riding and Imnever notice a problem, because there is no place smooth enough to turn aggressive and induce a push.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Johnny Depp » Thu May 07, 2015 9:39 pm

I got a 6.0 ordered from Dave, he had it in stock. He said he rode one before and it felt like it didn't move. I said send it and if I'm wrong it's on me not him. I did ask him if they have turns out there?

I'm glad your setup is working for you Chris, I mentioned your name to Dave.

It seems like shorter forks or a longer shock might also work to load the front. The suspension action has been really good with the 5.6. I also recall something about a different link for the XC? version. Not sure what that would do?

There is no doubt the hard pack or any less than perfect traction is the only time the front let's go when pushed. It doesn't do it gradually either most times. It makes me wonder what YZ450 owners with the backwards engine are doing because they have had the problem much worse.

I also ordered front brake pads since mine seem almost gone, perhaps a bit too soon but I think street riding may be hard on them.
Johnny Depp

Postby ballisticexchris » Thu May 07, 2015 10:06 pm

deleted
Last edited by ballisticexchris on Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ballisticexchris

Postby GMP » Fri May 08, 2015 6:35 am

Do the sag/preload numbers, they don't lie. You could probably get away with two different rates, but the one with less preload cranked on the spring will feel better in the small stuff for sure. When the going gets real crappy and technical a little more sag (105-110) is not bad because its initially plusher and its easier to get a foot down, but no good for racing or front traction in dirt on nicer trail. For this reason I was considering an Xtrig preload adjuster, easy to wind some off the spring for rock crawling.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Hammer » Fri May 08, 2015 7:47 am

289.56 mm of travel divided by 3 is 96.52. Just like magic you have the number you should shoot for. :lol:
Hammer

Postby ballisticexchris » Fri May 08, 2015 1:33 pm

deleted
Last edited by ballisticexchris on Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ballisticexchris

Postby Johnny Depp » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:06 am

I have done 2 practice days at the MX track now with time to sort out the new changes so here's some input:

The forks had gotten a little harsher after the oil change. Maybe the different Maxima 5w oil? 3 clicks less compression softened jump landings back up and 2 more clicks of rebound stopped them from hopping back off the ground on landings. I got rid of the bleeders since one had been damaged and was leaking. They never had pressure and it just takes a turn with a screwdriver anyways.

The shock had bottomed a few times in the whoops which was a surprise with a stiffer 6.0 spring, although I had the oil changed at the same time with Showa 2.5 shock oil. Gradually added 4 clicks more high speed and 2 more low speed and 3 more rebound and it got back to feeling "normal" again.

The moral of the story is the stock setup was really good and the oil changes really took me off course. It appears Sachs is a thicker stock oil on both ends. It took some attention to get it set up right again. The stock range on the shock high speed was fully open at 22 out so this has moved the adjustment range a little away from that.

So the above refers to suspension action. Now let's talk about chassis balance. The 6.0 with 96mm sag has substantially changed the cornering nature of the bike. Before you kind of "followed" what the front would allow. Now you dictate the line you want. The front will bite and throw a roost you can stuff it so hard. All of the corners I made my own lines using mostly outside in pivots. Turning before the normal rutted rails and getting inside where the ground is smooth from boot gliding became my preferred route. I was the only tire tracks there for the early part of the day and by the end of the day in 3 corners lots of people were onto it. It made for lots of inside passes all day. I'm not sure if saying it's like an RM450 does it justice since I have ridden one and wasn't that impressed. The front is sticking and not at the expense of sliding the rear. It has made it a lot more fun to not play 4 stroke follow the leader and be able to take "2-stroke" lines. It will still rail the ruts or the outside berm but to be honest doing long rut runs around corners without letting the power fall off and the front end drop in is a challenge for my current skill level (especially on left hand corners which this track has in abundance since you can't get at the shifter).

A related issue is the gearing changes I tried. My 1st time with the 13t front sprocket had me feeling herky jerky and having too much shifting in and out of corners (which keeps the chassis unsettled) and dropping the front in the whoops if not catching the upshift fast enough. Starts were far less predictable. Going to the 14t felt better immediately and smoothed out the straights a lot although the corners still could use a longer pull. Lap times dropped 6 seconds on a 2 minute lap. This 480 engine has tons of low end and having to rev it is counter productive and creates too much wheelspin and un-needed arm stretching. It got easier to carry the front in the whoops although still requiring a few shifts which allows it to drop. Increased my top speed in the whoops by 5 mph but still not where I had been by a few mph. I will go back to the 15t I have always used and try again to get back down to my previous lap times.
Attachments
2015-06-01 07.45.53.png
2015-06-01 07.45.53.png (62.66 KiB) Viewed 7345 times
2015-06-01 07.57.58.png
2015-06-01 07.57.58.png (50.37 KiB) Viewed 7345 times
Johnny Depp

Previous

Return to Suspension