Sach forks topping out? E.g. Clunking when fully extended?

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

Re: Sach forks topping out? E.g. Clunking when fully extende

Postby miltonyz » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:36 am

Anyone have this issue and not have the top out spring be the culprit? For the last 3-4 rides I have been noticed a clunk after returning from harder hits. I don't notice a clunk when hitting roots, or rocks but I can feel and hear it while going through a whooped out section at higher speeds. I can hold the front brake and when rocking it I do not feel any movement of clicking in my front end. I put it on a stand and yanked up on the tire, once again no movement. Took the tire off and the bearings are not wobbly and spin freely. To be sure I dropped the front end and checked the steering bearings and they seem ok. Took the forks apart and both the top-out springs and spacers appear to be in good condition. When I pulled the bleed screws there was some air pressure but not a ton. I'm kind of at a loss now.

Possible ideas?

1. I know I have recently lost the fender bolt that holds the fender to the brace, but this is the second one that I have lost and last time it fell off it did not do this. I feel like the plastic parts are too light to make the clunk I feel and hear.

2. My fender brace is missing one of the post the headlight assembly sits on, but both straps are in working order and the headlight fit feels tight.

3. Pulling the forks apart I saw missing anondizing in both tubes, and my bushings should be replaced. I would assume though if that was the problem that I would have felt the looseness of the fit in all aspects of travel, not just clunking on high speed hits.

4. On one side of my forks the washer that sits behind the seals and lock ring is pretty cupped, due to my monkey with a screw driver mechanic technique. Shouldn't be the issue I think?
miltonyz

Re: Sach forks topping out? E.g. Clunking when fully extende

Postby twowheels » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:10 pm

I had an odd clunk on extension on my 350RE a month or so ago, but only twice. Turns out the magnet had walked out of the speed pickup and was getting intimate with the end of the speed pickup. Coasting into the next road crossing I noticed ground speed had dropped to zero ... Might not be your issue but worth a look.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Previous

Return to Suspension