special screw??? (front wheel 300rr inside axle?)

Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

special screw??? (front wheel 300rr inside axle?)

Postby rdbandkab » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:48 am

Interesting part here. Listed as part #020411100 000

I buggered up the threads on the threaded plug (or the inner threads on the axle), so I'm looking for a way to clean the threads on both currently. I did notice that there was a "special screw" listed in the parts breakdown. What is that for? I imagine it just gets screwed into the inner axle threads to provide a way to hold the axle (hex wrench).
I think the threaded plug is a 22mm thread. Not sure of the pitch though. Any suggestions for a known bolt size to use as a temporary replacement would be appreciated!
If I could find a bolt the correct size, I could use it to "clean" the inner threads, or just use it instead of the aluminum threaded plug.
Thanks in advance!

richy
rdbandkab

Re: special screw??? (front wheel 300rr inside axle?)

Postby ricoyam » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:04 pm

Are you saying you stripped the screw that holds the axle into the fork?
I'll bet if you have a round wire brush you can run with a die grinder you can clean the threads in the axle with that. The steel axle shouldn't have been damaged by the aluminum screw.
If the aluminum has galled into the axle, if you measure the thread pitch and you have a tap of the same pitch you can use it as a scraper to clean out the aluminum. I'm thinking that buying a tap or even a thread chaser that size will be expensive.

That part in question is what I believe an internal plug to keep rocks and dirt clods from going into the axle when servicing the front wheel in the field. I put an axle pull on my bike but don't recall what I did about that plug. I think I might have had to remove it to drive out the plug on the pull side.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby rdbandkab » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:59 pm

Yep... I think I buggered up the threads on the threaded aluminum plug.. I searched for a die, screw, or anything else I could find in that size.. I believe it's a 22mm. Unfortunately, I'm not sure of thread pitch.

No biggie.. I'll just order another.

My original issue was that my non-brake side wheel spacer galled to the axle. After trying to tap the axle out a bit, I stupidly threaded the aluminum plug into the axle so I could tap on that a bit...

Thanks for the info!
rdbandkab

Postby ricoyam » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:35 pm

You can buy a thread file pretty inexpensively. They're handy for cleaning up external threads. I think there are two for metric pitches, one for fractional inch.
I would still replace that screw but for a ride or two cleaning up the old one should be okay.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Return to Chassis & Body