shorter shifter??

Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

shorter shifter??

Postby little_wing » Sun May 01, 2016 10:51 am

I had my new bike out for a good romp yesterday. love this bike....
but I am used to how Hondas have there shifter a lot closer to the foot peg.
any one know of a shifter that would be shorter.... move the shifter tip closer to the foot peg

my bike is the 2015 250rr
2015 beta 250RR
little_wing

Re: shorter shifter??

Postby Survivor » Sun May 01, 2016 12:32 pm

little_wing wrote:I had my new bike out for a good romp yesterday. love this bike....
any one know of a shifter that would be shorter.... move the shifter tip closer to the foot peg

For my X Trainer 2016, I used the Honda CRF 250R shifter as suggested by Betajuice. I think it was the one for the years 2004 to 2008 shifter.
Check Betajuice "check list" for Beta's list of defects.
I have short feet size 8.5 US and it works so much better!
Survivor

Postby ks9mm » Sun May 01, 2016 5:05 pm

Pls share the link if you find good deal on one
2014 Beta 300RR
2015 Husky TE125 (sold)
Husky WR300 (sold)
Husky TE510 supermoto sold
ks9mm

Postby little_wing » Sun May 01, 2016 5:39 pm

Survivor wrote:
little_wing wrote:I had my new bike out for a good romp yesterday. love this bike....

For my X Trainer 2016, I used the Honda CRF 250R shifter as suggested by Betajuice. I think it was the one for the years 2004 to 2008 shifter.

can you please post a link to this I cant seem to find it using the search button
2015 beta 250RR
little_wing

Postby Marty Moose » Sun May 01, 2016 5:59 pm

If and when your done can you post up some pics and the exact lever type used. I have two 2008 (supposedly) CRF250r gear levers both fit and are the same length as my 350's.
Marty Moose

Postby Survivor » Sun May 01, 2016 6:22 pm

little_wing wrote:
Survivor wrote:

can you please post a link to this I cant seem to find it using the search button

The shorter version "lever" for my Beta X Trainer 2016 was the lever for the CRF250R 2004-2008 as shown in the list below. I had to pay $89 Canadian.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=792&hilit=Beta%27s+known+issues or here it is:
VIDEO VERSION OF THESE TIPS & MODS HERE: https://youtu.be/4YZ1nJxPY6M

A brief summary for new Beta 2T owners, anyone got more I can add to the list? All bikes have known issues, and if you list enough of them it can start to make the bike look like a lemon! The Beta two strokes ain't lemons... personally I think the RR300 is an incredible bike, and the pick of the two strokes for us everyday dirt riders. It at least matches the KTM in most respects, and is better in terms of a smoother engine, more tucked away exhaust, much cheaper parts, lower seat height, and coming standard with bling items. All the known issues are minor details and easily fixed.

KNOWN ISSUES
- For most the carby is set up too rich, consult Beta's excellent jetting chart to lean it out if needed after a run in ride.
- Float level is a tad too high at 6.5mm (measured from body to floats, with the tang just resting) - extend it out to 7.5-8mm.
- The seat base can rub on the positive lead to the battery, zip tie a bit of rubber or plastic for protection.
- Frame protectors don't extend high enough, boots can rub paint off the frame - cut some rubber or plastic & zip tie.
- Bigger-sized boots tend to rub the decals off the side panels.
- A few report the two engine breather hoses can come off, just zip tie them tight.
- Wiring behind headlight can rub on the head stem - just zip tie out of the way.
- Side stand end is too small and sinks in soft ground, screw on a bit of plastic or weld an alloy plate on.
- A few models had the wrong sized rubber join between the pipe and muffler - just zip tie it tight, or get the right sized one.
- Swingarm/mudflap edges rub on swingarm, epoxy small rub blocks to areas, or trim the flap.

SUSPENSION
From 2015 the standard Sachs suspension is working well for everyday riders although some still criticize it - there is an excellent setup guide here that is likely to fix any "problems" you think you have: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=616
The Marzocchis on the race versions are great if you are a fast experienced rider or racing. I had my Sachs set up for my weight by a suspension tuner, they put the rear shock on a dyno and said it's one of the best stock shocks they've seen and could only make minor improvements on the valving. They said the forks were good but did get more of a plush feel on the initial stroke with a revalve.

COMMON MODS ETC
- Shorten & reroute radiator overflow tube to stop short of the skidplate (can then see if bike's overheating).
- Like KTMs, the outer fork guard bolts can be hit by rocks, replace with dome head allen type bolts if a concern.
- Seal up steering lock, or don't get water near it (can dribble down & rust lower steering bearing).
- Some with smaller boots report hitting false neutrals with the long gear shift (use a shorter CRF250R 2004 to 2008 lever).
- If your leg moves the fuel tap lever when riding then hacksaw the extended part off.
- Trim the fuel petcock lever if your leg moves it, or reverse fuel tap (e.g. lever pointing inwards) & use a longer hose.
- Rear suspension increased by 7mm using wish bone from 2012 450RR Cross Country model (part no. 020-331300-000).
- Remove inner teeth of brake pedal, might punch a hole through the clutch cover in a stack.
- You can add a mapping switch for more tuning options if you didn't buy the Racing version.
- Better full lock turns - remove lock nuts an screw bolts in further, trim radiator guards so they don't hit the forks.
- The Beta engine is already superb but some feel modding the power valve spring can improve it even further.
- Clutch is just a tad heavier than the KTMs, consider Midwest Clever Levers or the superb Clake One Light clutch if you are cashed up.
- Some dislike the stock kill switch and get the KTM-style one.
- Consider a radiator fan &/or bigger radiators if doing slow technical terrain in warmer climates.
- The Beta is bit smaller and lower than the KTM, if you are tall consider risers and Fastway pegs which are further back and down.
- For slower technical riding many find an extra tooth or three on the rear sprocket works wonders.
- Into wheelies? Unlike the KTM rear fender the Beta one will snap if you flip it so consider two small cuts either side to allow flexing.
- One rider reported kickstarter touching underside of fuel tank, trim the tip if this is happening.
- Reroute top carburetor breather tubes in to the airbox.

MAINTENANCE
- Remove seat for washing, or keep water away, the stitching allows water through easily.
- Like all two strokes, bolts vibrate loose - check and loctite (engine mounts, side stand & rear brake pedal especially).
- Apply waterproof grease to lower steering bearing regularly.

PROTECTION
You can really go to town on this gear. Unlike KTM, Beta have excellent prices on most of their parts so check out all their bling and performance mods etc. This starts with the essentials and then on to stuff for more extreme riding...

- Get some handguards or barkbusters on there as soon as possible!
- The pipe needs a carbon fiber guard at the very least, for gnarly riding consider a Force Accessories skid plate/pipe guard or similar.
- If doing a lot of big rocks and logs consider a linkage guard (Fastway guard is cool as it allows adjusting the linkage length too).
- Case saver.
- Stock lower chain guard may not be strong enough for extreme riding.
- Radiator guards if you anticipate dropping the bike a fair bit (and who doesn't?)
- Rear disc guard
- Billet rear brake pedal (check out Boano).

For an excellent set of tips for racing on the Betas visit this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=797
Survivor

Return to Chassis & Body