Fast Flex Bars?

Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Re: Fast Flex Bars?

Postby flybars » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:00 pm

I just ordered the TE premere package and went with the Windham bend. The stock bars were too straight and killed my wrists. I've been reading a lot of reviews this past year and found few negatives. TT and ktmtalk have some good reading.
'14 300rr
flybars

Postby GMP » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:50 am

Not that its a widespread problem but there have been a few broken TE bars. I hear Faast now has a lower Flexxbar bend designed for submount dampers. I think I would like that with my topmount if it would fit and then just tweak height with risers if needed. My enduro lows are fine though, have taken a beating on two bikes, and I don't notice the weight. They look heavier than they are.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby gartchen » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:28 am

I have had very good luck with the flexx bars. I just move them from bike to bike.

I rode my new 14 without them for about 2 hours. Installed and road again - very big diffenece for me personally now. I can't go without them. I don't get to ride a ton of hours - so the extra damping makes a big difference on my wrists.

I have the CYCRA handguards - have both setup- the BRP bar mount and the Cycra just for Flexx bars. Both leave plenty of room on the bars for other items.

I have the 31" 12 degree enduro. Very close to the stock KTM bend and almost exactly the same as a stock WR yamaha etc.

Jeff Slavins always has these in stock! Great to deal with.
gartchen

Postby GMP » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:51 am

Carbon Fiber is not a magic bullet, in some ways very strong but with an Achilles Heel. An unmolested set of CF bars may be fine but hits from rocks, deep scratches, etc. can change everything. I suppose thats what the outer layer thing they have is for, but there was one report of it separating. Aluminum bars fatigue and crack as well, and should be checked. I had a favorite set of KTM SX bars I ran for a long time(too long), and during a winter teardown found a 1" crack on the bottom at the first bend. :o Flexxbars might be the most reliable of all as the flex is focused to the elastomers.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Hubert Carpet » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:19 pm

I would really like to try some of these bars but the Flex ones retail at $600 !! in the UK and there is only one source. That's a lot of tyres and 2T oil.
2020 200RR.
2014 300RR. Gone but not forgotten.
Hubert Carpet

Postby twowheels » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:01 pm

Hubert Carpet wrote:I would really like to try some of these bars but the Flex ones retail at $600 !! in the UK and there is only one source. That's a lot of tyres and 2T oil.

That's a lot of lira ( :o ) or L's or whatever ... I kid, I kid!

Send me a PM and we can talk about how to get you a set for US prices plus shipping. I'll even thread the ends for bar mounts if you like.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby rrbeta » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:45 pm

does anyone on here race with the TE bars, thinking about getting a set
13 300
rrbeta

Postby Hyde » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:37 am

I ran the Flex bars for years and have switched over to TE bars on both my 250rr and 450rr, I race Sr. A hare scrambles and enduros almost every weekend, and also ride all winter.

I didn't like the height options, the up high weight, or the maintenance of the Flex bars, but at 52 and having numerous wrist breaks (not related to dirtbikes) they were the best at the time, the TE bars have a cool handle bar setup that doesn't make your bike wider and they flex in all directions force is applied, not just vertical.

Getting older I tend to buy less blingy junk and look for things that make it easyer to ride faster while conserving energy, and exerting less impact on the joints I've already beat the krap out of, once you get over the fear that they'll break you'll be a carbon bar lifer.
Last edited by Hyde on Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
23' 430RE
23' 250RE
21' 350RE
20', 200rr, gone
20', 250rr, Ye-haw !
18', 250rr,gone
18' 125rr, KYB forks, gone
16' 250rr, KYB forks-sold
15' 250rr RE-sold
14' 450rr, gone
14' 250rr-sold
14' 450rr KYB forks.
Hyde

Postby Enmerdeur » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:06 am

Hyde wrote:Getting older I tend to buy less blingy junk and look for things that make it easyer to ride faster while conserve energy, and exerting less impact on the joints I've already beat the krap out of, once you get over the fear that they'll break you'll be a carbon bar lifer.

I hear that.
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Postby GMP » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:53 am

Just turned 56 and hear that too. Everything on my bike has a purpose, mostly protection, no bling. I run the FlexxBars but I found I did not like the feel of movement with the softer elastomers so I went with the stiffer ones. Also I always evaluate suspension with a stiff elastomer as not to mask problems. I guess its a matter of opinion or preference whether or not a bar should flex in all directions or just in the vector of the forks. FlexxBars are taller but now there is a new lower bend. Never tried the TE bars, can you feel them flex? One thing is you can't change that.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

PreviousNext

Return to Chassis & Body