Rear brake free play

Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Re: Rear brake free play

Postby foxbat » Tue May 10, 2016 10:23 pm

Johnno wrote:I like a bit of intial creep in the rear brake action so it doesn't just lock when I consider using the pedal.

However I don't understand how a hair trigger rear brake that locks solid at the mere thought of going near it while seated requires that pedal be rotated down to 6 o'clock to work even slightly when standing.

But yet it does.

I've noticed the same thing and it's driving me crazy. At first I though I was imagining it but it is quite true. I can't seem to diagnose just why there would be such wildly different braking power between the seated and standing position.
foxbat

Postby Johnno » Wed May 11, 2016 2:20 am

I am going with the slop at the clevis. I made my DRZ deliberately do this and the result was pretty much the same. But with a 4T its less of a problem on hills.

I'm going to get one of those new fanlged clevis's's's's that eliminates the slop and see where that takes me.
Loose...
Johnno

Postby Clearvu1 » Wed May 11, 2016 6:08 am

I think this is another Italian thing. It appears Beta already had the brake lever manufactured, then they purchased the Nissan components but nobody bothered to check the ID dimensions of the Nissan clevis. It's smaller than the brake engagement hole, but we already know that. I wonder if Brembo components would match up. Anyway, I was able to find a copper piece that I believe came from a compression coupler that just happened to have the same OD as the brake lever ID. I cut a piece just long enough to go through the brake lever and replaced the clevis on the brake. With just a little bit of filing and a dab of grease I was able to press the clevis pin through with a pair of Channel Locks. Now it's just right. There's a little play in the brake lever bearing but almost none at the clevis now. Measure the ID of the brake and go to a good plumbing supply store and you can remedy this problem for about .79 cents.
Clearvu1

Postby farmerpaul » Tue May 17, 2016 4:35 am

The new bush has certainly made a big improvement. I think it is now just a matter of adjusting it to my liking.

In terms of making adjustments sitting on the bike and pretending to be going down hill and applying the brake obviously is not the same as the actual thing :lol: .
farmerpaul

Postby Johnno » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:04 pm

I wondered that my DRZ clevis pin was larger.. it isn't.

I did though, make a sleeve out of a strip of aluminium sourced from a Coke Zero can.

Works pretty darn okay..
Loose...
Johnno

Postby katoom400 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:59 am

I just installed the Fasstco clevis and it does it's job and completely eliminates the pedal "slop". my only problem is that I can't get it adjusted so that the pedal is @ ~ 4 o'clock position when the brakes engage...I'm a brake drager and like the pedal on the low side and I can't get it there now...maybe my pedal is bent up a bit?? but with the oem clevis I had plenty of adjustment (maybe because of the slop?)
katoom400

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:33 am

I went the cheap option :) Cut up some brass shim bent it round and round the pin fitted this to the brake pedal and its fixed :) Will see how long it lasts.
Marty Moose

Postby GMP » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:58 am

IMO it's supposed to be that way to avoid dragging and roasting the brakes. Just like a Jap bike or GG with a slotted clevis, by design. KTMs have no play but squeak and squalk all day through the woods. I have no issues racing with mine and I'm a tail dragger as well. At least they use a nice steel bushing in the pedal so it doesn't wear too fast.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby katoom400 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:00 pm

GMP wrote:IMO it's supposed to be that way to avoid dragging and roasting the brakes. Just like a Jap bike or GG with a slotted clevis, by design. KTMs have no play but squeak and squalk all day through the woods. I have no issues racing with mine and I'm a tail dragger as well. At least they use a nice steel bushing in the pedal so it doesn't wear too fast.

I'm actually ok, with the lack of slop...I just need to get the pedal down further for my liking. anyone sell a brake pedal tip that is not as tall?
katoom400

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:08 pm

GMP wrote:IMO it's supposed to be that way to avoid dragging and roasting the brakes. Just like a Jap bike or GG with a slotted clevis, by design. KTMs have no play but squeak and squalk all day through the woods. I have no issues racing with mine and I'm a tail dragger as well. At least they use a nice steel bushing in the pedal so it doesn't wear too fast.

I agree and disagree I've found if the brake is more positive I use it with more finesse and lock it less :) A mate picked this up in my riding style when it had heaps of play I was locking the brake too much and was riding a bit slower. Maybe it was weight transfer causing me to pull it on more.

MM
Marty Moose

PreviousNext

Return to Chassis & Body