foot stand bolt worn by chain!

Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

foot stand bolt worn by chain!

Postby dibbs » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:45 pm

I've noticed that my chain has been wearing away at the bolt end and sub frame of my 300rr, its on the inside of the sub frame where the top of the stand spring end passes through the frame, anyone else had this issue?
dibbs

Re: foot stand bolt worn by chain!

Postby farmerpaul » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:01 pm

Hi,

Before I bought my '16 300RR I looked at, what appeared to be in the pictures, a very tidy secondhand one. However upon closer inspection I decided to not purchase it. One of the things I noticed was what you described - badly worn lower sub-frame bolt/boss.

I think it was due to running with a very loose chain. Certainly that is what it looked like.

Cheers

Paul
farmerpaul

Postby dibbs » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:10 am

Cheers Paul. I think you are right as the chain does seem a bit loose. I will try to get a picture of it to post on here, it would be good if there was a roller on an extended bolt for this I reckon, as it would stop the chain wearing this bit of frame.
dibbs

Postby farmerpaul » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:16 am

Yes could work. We have that setup on the CR250 red rockets.

However, I think a correctly tensioned chain is the only answer (along with a chain that is not beyond its serviceable life, as a worn chain will allow more side to side movement) because it is the sideways movement that is wearing the subframe away not excessive vertical movement.
farmerpaul

Postby Marty Moose » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:33 am

Mine has a bit of damage here from a loose chain. Few muddy enduro's this year and no time to tension.

MM
Marty Moose

Postby farmerpaul » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:19 am

Hmmm, have been out in the workshop this morning and had a look at mine.

I expected it to be fine because I like to keep on top of maintenance and try to keep the chain correctly tensioned. However, mine is showing signs of wear at only 23 hours!!!

I will investigate making either a roller or just a hard nylon insert that can be fitted onto a longer subframe mounting bolt. This would prevent the chain from moving that high.

Will have to make sure though, that at maximium shock compression it does not tighten the chain.

I will report back guys and gals.
farmerpaul

Postby dibbs » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:23 am

good man, thanks
dibbs

Postby dibbs » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:08 am

We here is a picture of what I mean, some sort of roller on the worn bolt would be good possibly!
dibbs

Postby farmerpaul » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:14 am

Yep. that is exactly how mine is looking.

Have turned up a aluminium spacer and hard nylon roller as a prototype. Need to get a longer bolt to mount it. Hope to get this during the week and offer it up. will take some photos as well. Wathc this space.
farmerpaul

Postby dibbs » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:04 pm

Will do. Hope your idea works paul, if it does i reckon you'll get a few orders lol.... let us know how it goes
dibbs

Next

Return to Chassis & Body