Can't remove front axle

Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Re: Can't remove front axle

Postby Sweepea » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:48 am

little_wing wrote:please post pics of what you are trying to so maybe then we can help you better.the torque spec on the 15/16 nut is low... some thing like 20ft pounds if i remember.,,,,, maybe did some one red locktight the nut???????

Success! It took a number 6 easy-out and a 2-foot cheater bar to break it loose. Whoever put in in last deserves a good thrashing. Will be putting in the new one with anti-seize. Not such a great idea to have an aluminum cap nut with fine threads screwed into a steel axle. Sure glad it didn't have to be done on the trail.
Attachments
axle nut removal.JPG
mangled axle nut
axle nut removal.JPG (77.04 KiB) Viewed 6259 times
Sweepea

Postby typeone » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:52 am

was this the axle bolt from the brake side or non-brake side?
'13 250RR / '19 200RR / '22 200RE
typeone

Postby Sweepea » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:09 am

typeone wrote:was this the axle bolt from the brake side or non-brake side?

The threaded plug (AKA axle nut) is on the brake disc side; the right side has just an unthreaded cap covering the other end of the axle.
Sweepea

Postby typeone » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:30 am

Sweepea wrote:
typeone wrote:was this the axle bolt from the brake side or non-brake side?

The threaded plug (AKA axle nut) is on the brake disc side; the right side has just an unthreaded cap covering the other end of the axle.

got it, thanks. on my '13 250RR the right side is also threaded, that's why i asked. last season or so i couldn't get the brake side bolt off and instead the right came unthreaded. surprised me because i didn't know that was possible.

anyway, glad you got it out! ;)
'13 250RR / '19 200RR / '22 200RE
typeone

Postby little_wing » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:21 pm

Sweepea wrote:
little_wing wrote:please post pics of what you are trying to so maybe then we can help you better.the torque spec on the 15/16 nut is low... some thing like 20ft pounds if i remember.,,,,, maybe did some one red locktight the nut???????

Success! It took a number 6 easy-out and a 2-foot cheater bar to break it loose. Whoever put in in last deserves a good thrashing. Will be putting in the new one with anti-seize. Not such a great idea to have an aluminum cap nut with fine threads screwed into a steel axle. Sure glad it didn't have to be done on the trail.

it does not look like there is any locktite or anything on that,,,,, I am stunned that it was that tight .... I would recommend a torque wrench to who ever put that nut on... they do not know their own strength..
glad you go it off.

i have yet to find an aftermarket red or any other color front axle nut for the betas.... i have seen them for KTM and others but not in the beta thread size and pitch. if you or any one does let me know i like fancy stuff like that.
2015 beta 250RR
little_wing

Postby dirtbird » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:08 pm

Disk side=nut
RH side=cap

Use an 8 side socket.
If you have rounded the nut, use a mallet to press the socket fully and even.
Fasten the RHS pinch bolts, loosen the disk side.
Heat a little the nut area with a heat gun.
Tap again the nut with the mallet.
Try again to loosen it but while doing so keep pressing the socket towards the axle (have a wall against the bike).

Or take it to a shop.
'10 RR450, '11 RR450, '12 RR498, '13 RR300, '13 RR300 Racing, '14 RR250/300 Racing - all gone
'17 RR300
dirtbird

Previous

Return to Chassis & Body