torque table

Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

torque table

Postby GMP » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:26 am

One thing lacking in the manual is a consolidated torque spec table. Most stuff is no big deal and easy to figure out from industry standards. My question is the poly subframe fasteners. If the load is through a basic metallic insert then again no big deal, but if it involves the subframe material itself then there may be more to it. I suspect the former but I have not loosened mine yet. I'll put together a quick reference sheet for the garage wall like I did for the GGs years ago.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Re: torque table

Postby Hawkeye » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:11 pm

From memory (now 6 months old so keep that in mind), the plastic subframe is secured with four bolts (2 each side) to two forged aluminum arms (struts) that then bolt to the frame. It's a really slick design I think in that the aluminum struts are probably stronger than square aluminum tubing, and yet in a crash, you may only need to replace a strut or the plastic subframe "top". Haven't priced one of those, but you can see where Beta tried to design a strong modular assembly.

I put anti seize on all the bolts going into the struts to keep them from corroding and stripping threads. Hand tightened them with my 8mm T-handle. A torque table would be handy.
"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."
Hawkeye

Postby twowheels » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:01 pm

I'll ask the American Beta guys if they have a consolidated table they use, and I'll did around for other info on the 'Beta Bible' they publish periodically. There's a bunch of good information on the 'Support' page http://www.americanbeta.com/node/708
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:38 am

American Beta just sent an email containing chassis torque tables for the RR's. I really recommend getting on American Beta's mailing list if you aren't already. Lots of good information and fun updates.
Hawkeye

Postby twowheels » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:48 am

Attachments
Torque+Values-RR+2+Stroke.pdf
2 Stroke Torque Table
(119.48 KiB) Downloaded 12825 times
Torque+Values-RR-RS+4+Stroke.pdf
4 Stroke Torque Table
(120.17 KiB) Downloaded 736 times
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby GMP » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:59 am

Thats great, I really like how these guys do things. I somehow forgot to sign up for the mailing list, thanks for reminding me.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby webmaster » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:35 pm

FYI -

I enabled attachment of documents on the board (pdf files) so that the documents will always reside with the post and not be lost if the link "dies" later on down the road. I then attached the torque tables directly to twowheel's post.

jeff
Webmaster
Beta Riders Club
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:04 am

Thanks Jeff, I had tried to attach the .pdf yesterday in my post to have it handy for everyone. Just a quick thanks here for all the work you do to improve this board. Did you get my PM about dealer advertising? I think I have one interested.
Hawkeye

Postby Dirt Clod » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:16 am

Hi everyone, new member,first Beta, first post,'14 300rr.
Yikes, some of these torque values are way high. 130 newts for the rear axle??? 125 for the swingarm bolt??? Are you guys cranking 'em down that hard???
Chris
Dirt Clod

Postby GMP » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:19 am

I agree, after getting this and taking a close look I don't refer to it! Some values are ridiculous as you pointed out. 130 Nm for an alloy axel nut is madness! I don't know why but every Itailian bike manual I have worked with was like this, from the Cagiva Huskys to my Ducati. The good news is that the bike did not apper to be assembled to those torque specs judging by wrench effort in disassembly. I just stick to the established norms, some from the machinest's handbook. Don't forget to reduce by approx 20% for antiseized fasteners.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Next

Return to Chassis & Body