Clutch won’t build pressure

Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Clutch won’t build pressure

Postby Seattle300rr » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:40 pm

The fluid in my clutch master cylinder was looking pretty gross so I decided to bleed it. I have a motion pro brake bleeder so I used that to get the old fluid through. Now it won’t build pressure with the new fluid. Any ideas? 2017 Beta 300rr.
Seattle300rr

Re: Clutch won’t build pressure

Postby robw122 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:19 pm

even a couple of bubbles in there can cause this. fill it up, pull some fluid through until you see it come out the hose to the bleeder. close the bleeder.
start tapping the lever on the master (this can take some time) until you see bubbles start to come out, keep this up until you don't get anymore bubbles. you may have a bubble stuck in the line at the high spot, sometimes it's helpful to remove the master and hold it up high so the air can come up the line and get out the master.
robw122

Postby Seattle300rr » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:14 pm

I got it after some problem solving. I have one of those Midwest shorty levers and it wasn’t pushing far enough in. I adjusted it so the plunger would push farther and after awhile a couple big bubbles came up.
Seattle300rr

Postby little_wing » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:59 pm

I want you to think about what you are doing... by the sounds of it you are pumping the lever then opening the bleeder on the slave????
if so then you are trying to push air down....
air wants to go up.... so lets work with the air instead of working against it.....
that's where reverse bleed comes in
check out this video...
you don't need the ""kit"" he sells but you do need a syringe and a bit of hose that will fit your bleeder.
doing it the way he does it in the video works with the natural way that air wants to go. its a much much better method.

with the very small amount of fluid that the clutch system holds. when you use the lever to pump the fluid and the air down it will take for ever as each time you pump your only moving the air bubble millimeters at a time....

the way he does it in the video you can push a lot more fluid
2015 beta 250RR
little_wing

Postby Seattle300rr » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:21 pm

Well, I followed the instructions in the manual and this is how I’ve done brakes for years with no issues. I understand why the reverse bleed would work better but I couldn’t get it to seal properly at the bleeder. Link?
Seattle300rr

Postby NW_250RR » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:23 pm

Seattle300rr wrote:Well, I followed the instructions in the manual and this is how I’ve done brakes for years with no issues. I understand why the reverse bleed would work better but I couldn’t get it to seal properly at the bleeder. Link?

Moved from Fremont last year to Everett with my 250rr. Cool to see another Beta in Seattle, where do you usually ride? Also rocking the MW lever, be careful to check that your MW lever is allowing the clutch to fully engage. It can go undetected with this lever since it calls for no free play.
NW_250RR

Postby Seattle300rr » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:47 am

NW_250RR wrote:
Seattle300rr wrote:Well, I followed the instructions in the manual and this is how I’ve done brakes for years with no issues. I understand why the reverse bleed would work better but I couldn’t get it to seal properly at the bleeder. Link?

Moved from Fremont last year to Everett with my 250rr. Cool to see another Beta in Seattle, where do you usually ride? Also rocking the MW lever, be careful to check that your MW lever is allowing the clutch to fully engage. It can go undetected with this lever since it calls for no free play.

There’s a bunch of Betas up here now. I ride Walker, Tahuya, Reiter and Mattawa mostly.
Seattle300rr

Postby NW_250RR » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:27 am

Seattle300rr wrote:
NW_250RR wrote:

There’s a bunch of Betas up here now. I ride Walker, Tahuya, Reiter and Mattawa mostly.

Sick dude. I ride Walker or Monroe almost every weekend. We should link up sometime. Have a couple other 300rr’s in the group as well.
NW_250RR

Postby Seattle300rr » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:18 am

NW_250RR wrote:Sick dude. I ride Walker or Monroe almost every weekend. We should link up sometime. Have a couple other 300rr’s in the group as well.

yeah, I am out of town this weekend but i usually ride every weekend. what area do you live in?
Seattle300rr

Return to Chassis & Body