Alp throttle - white plastic guide

Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Alp throttle - white plastic guide

Postby MikeF » Tue May 08, 2018 6:14 am

Hi,

2007 Beta Alp 4 350cc

There is a white plastic guide inside the throttle twistgrip assembly. Where can I get one? (In Spain, or any EU country preferably.)

Despite much searching, can't find online. Or do I need to replace the cables & plastic guide together - which I think I saw for sale somewhere?

The cables themselves are fine, but - through neglect, over-tightness, or lack of lubrication by the previous owner - the pull side has worn the plastic guide through so it snapped.

Regards,
--
Mike
MikeF

Re: Alp throttle - white plastic guide

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Tue May 08, 2018 12:07 pm

You don’t have a dealer for Beta that you can call in your country?
hawaiidirtrider

Postby MikeF » Sat May 12, 2018 5:12 am

Yes, there is, though my ability in Spanish struggles to explain that I don't want the cables, or a set of cables, I just want the plastic part...

Contacting them, and various sources in the UK, got me nowhere beyond generic aftermarket cables, a quote for a new throttle assembly complete (though it was not clear that this contained the plastic part) - and 'contact the Distributor', who did not reply.

And I can't even find it in various manuals / exploded parts diagrams.

All of which strikes me as odd, since this plastic part must be a replaceable item. It snaps in and out of the housing, and I can't be the only mechanic who has found a worn one!

I'm nearly at the stage of gluing the original remains back in the housing, and running some molten plastic into it to re-make the profile....
MikeF

Postby mtdirtbag » Sat May 12, 2018 7:36 am

Mike, I would think the throttle tube would be an item produced by one of the major manufacturers like Brembo or others. Perhaps taking the tube to a large multi bike shop and matching it up would come up with something. I tried looking at the parts breakdown on the Beta USA site but for some reason they are hard to read (not high resolution) and in a language I do not read.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Sat May 12, 2018 11:44 am

MikeF wrote:Yes, there is, though my ability in Spanish struggles to explain that I don't want the cables, or a set of cables, I just want the plastic part...

Contacting them, and various sources in the UK, got me nowhere beyond generic aftermarket cables, a quote for a new throttle assembly complete (though it was not clear that this contained the plastic part) - and 'contact the Distributor', who did not reply.

And I can't even find it in various manuals / exploded parts diagrams.

All of which strikes me as odd, since this plastic part must be a replaceable item. It snaps in and out of the housing, and I can't be the only mechanic who has found a worn one!

I'm nearly at the stage of gluing the original remains back in the housing, and running some molten plastic into it to re-make the profile....

Well you might try making something like you say if you have to but I would think the ALP was popular enough to find parts where you are somewhere..and somewhere that spanish is spoken. I've never seen an ALP where I live. I'm not sure there are any in the USA but have seen many on youtube in euro countries.. I'd think that in italy or Spain or portugal or somewhere there ought to have your part.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby MikeF » Wed May 16, 2018 4:09 am

- I can report that the brake light switches also fit Yamaha mopeds.
- That the rear pads/caliper on mine are not as listed for an Alp4, but for a 'Beta Euro 350', quite a different bike.
- And of course the engine is DR350.

Maintaining this bike is becoming an exercise in - What did Beta use from other manufacturers' parts bins!

Spent another couple fruitless hours online, got nowhere. So, good idea mtdirtbag, next time I'm at my local supplier of parts, I''ll ride the Alp over and get the warehouse manager to take a look at it.

Gratuitous picture:
MikeF

Return to Chassis & Body