Bent frame or triple clamp

Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Bent frame or triple clamp

Postby allkidd » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:21 pm

Recently, my 2015 xtrainer took a hard fall. The bike hit two trees at a pretty high speed. Destroyed the front left radiator and plastic but otherwise seemed to be okay. That is until a friend was riding behind me on a road and said the wheels don't line up. We switched bikes and sure enough by several inches the wheels don't line up.

So, I figure that I have either a bent frame or bent triple clamp. Just by eyeballing each I can't see any noticeable problems. The bike has over 500 hours so I don't want to replace both but if I knew the frame or triples were definitely the problem, I would replace.

Anybody have any thoughts on how I can determine for sure where the problem is?
Beta Xtrainer 300
Beta 300 rr
kTM 1190 Adventure
allkidd

Re: Bent frame or triple clamp

Postby oldman » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:35 pm

May just be sissored forks. Loosen up your upper and lower fork clamps and your front axle pinch bolts slightly. Now place the front tire between you knees while you wiggle your handle bars to let every thing seek its home position. Tighten your fork bolts first then your axle bolts.
If you still have a alignment problem after doing this you may have something bent.
Current rides, 21 Beta 200RR, 19 Beta 500rrs, 01 Honda 200r, 99 GasGas TXT321, 82 Yamaha YZ490, 83 Yamaha YZ250, 59 Harley Davidson ST165,
Past rides to long to list.
oldman

Postby Lonesome Dave » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:08 pm

+1^
I think Oldman nailed it.
Older - Wiser - Faster !
Lonesome Dave

Postby allkidd » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:23 am

Thanks guys. This afternoon, I will give your suggestion a try. Would be great if that simple and cheap! I will report back.
Beta Xtrainer 300
Beta 300 rr
kTM 1190 Adventure
allkidd

Postby pscook » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:56 pm

The easiest way to check bent or misaligned triples is to remove the front axle. If the forks "spring" when you pull the axle, something is out of alignment. Then you just need to loosen the pinch bolts and rotate the upper fork tubes, and then see if the axle will align with both lower lugs. Don't tighten the pinch bolts until the wheel and axle are installed. If you can't install the axle without forcing something, then you need to dig into the triple trees for straightness. But this quick check will prove that it's good or bad.
pscook

Postby allkidd » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:27 pm

Thanks for the thoughts on what to try.

Yesterday, I attempted to align the front end but it didn't make any difference. I'm afraid that either the frame or triples are bent. When my son wrecked the bike it hit hard at the left radiator. This location seems like it could have bent either the frame or triples. Viewing from the naked eye I can't see anything obviously bent.
Beta Xtrainer 300
Beta 300 rr
kTM 1190 Adventure
allkidd

Postby pscook » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:14 am

An easy way to check if the triples are bent is to remove the fork tubes and then completely remove the pinch bolts. Any misalignment with the pinch bolt holes indicates bent triples. If I can find any of my examples in my scrap pile I'll post a picture, but it's fairly obvious once you remove the bolts as the gap springs out and the holes don't line up.

You should consider checking the fork tubes as well. If the triples are straight, install the forks and rotate the upper tubes 90 degrees, then install the wheel and axle. If it goes together, the front end is fine and then you need to find a frame shop.
pscook

Postby allkidd » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:43 am

Thanks pscook. Either this afternoon or tomorrow I will give your suggestion a try and report back.
Beta Xtrainer 300
Beta 300 rr
kTM 1190 Adventure
allkidd

Postby allkidd » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:28 pm

I tried taking off the forks and checking for pinch bolt misalignment but all seemed in line. Probably the frame and not worth replacing. This has been a great bike. I bought it new in 2015 and have put on 500 hard hours. Primarily, I ride in rock and so it has taken some hard falls.

When riding in technical areas I don't notice that it is out of alignment. We have a riding area near us called, "chadwick", that is almost all rock and technical. So, I think that I will designate this out of alignment bike as my chadwick bike.

Again, thanks for all the help!
Beta Xtrainer 300
Beta 300 rr
kTM 1190 Adventure
allkidd

Return to Chassis & Body