Engine pin bolts (measurements inside)

Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Engine pin bolts (measurements inside)

Postby beta250rrowner » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:55 am

I recently found a snapped off engine bolt when I pulled the skid plate for something else.

The bolt cost £16 from Beta UK so I decided to measure the thread pitch and length for next time so that I can buy a cheaper alternative.

For some reason, it is thin in the middle, but the thickest part is m10 in diameter.

Using a leaf thread pitch gauge, I measured the thread pitch, which is 1.25mm

I also measured the length at 12cm

ImageIMG_20211010_122827_914 by a a, on Flickr

I don't see why a generic bolt matching those measurements wouldn't fit and it would probably do a better job as it won't have a thin part in the middle.
beta250rrowner

Re: Engine pin bolts (measurements inside)

Postby mtdirtbag » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:48 pm

I believe the reason for the smaller diameter in the middle is due to dissimilar metals so the bolt does not seize to the aluminum of the engine.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby beta250rrowner » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:44 am

mtdirtbag wrote:I believe the reason for the smaller diameter in the middle is due to dissimilar metals so the bolt does not seize to the aluminum of the engine.

Wow, I never thought of that! Surely some copper grease would do the job just as well, though!? As long as grease provides a barrier between the two metals.
beta250rrowner

Postby Hurky » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:22 am

One issue is that those bolts normally are a high tensile strength, say 10.9 grade for example, and those are normally only available in pavonated black finish, that in a dirt bike starts to rust soon and is not pretty. I find it hard to impossible to find higher grade bolts in a good finish.

Another thing with most motorcycle bolts is that they have smaller hex heads than the industry standard, for example an motorcycle M8 bolt can be a 10mm hex head, but the industry standard available bolts are using 13mm hex heads...

Regards.
Hurky

Postby F5 Dave » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:57 am

How often are you expecting this to happen? Especially for only 16 squid for the proper bolt.

Make sure they are all tight and it is unlikely to happen again.
21 XTrainer
F5 Dave

Return to Chassis & Body