Replacement Pads - Rear Brake

Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Re: Replacement Pads - Rear Brake

Postby GMP » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:24 pm

So I guess I should put my OEM pads back in so my rotor gets its wearing out over with. :D
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby ryanmac » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:31 pm

GMP wrote:In south jersey with a lot of short straights and tight turns anything with metallic pads will get hot, grabby, and squeak. I roasted the stock Nissins(sintered) on the '12 GG kicking the tail out to counter the lack of steering lock. I've since gone to the EBC Reds even using the wave rotors. Sure they wear a bit faster but the feel is good, no noise or overheating, and easy on the rotors.

What did you guys do for rotors? Beta warranty/upgrade?

Anyone tried the '14 rotor, that's apparently supposed to be made a bit better?
'13 300RR
ryanmac

Postby twowheels » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:43 am

ryanmac wrote:
GMP wrote:In south jersey with a lot of short straights and tight turns anything with metallic pads will get hot, grabby, and squeak. I roasted the stock Nissins(sintered) on the '12 GG kicking the tail out to counter the lack of steering lock. I've since gone to the EBC Reds even using the wave rotors. Sure they wear a bit faster but the feel is good, no noise or overheating, and easy on the rotors.

What did you guys do for rotors? Beta warranty/upgrade?

Anyone tried the '14 rotor, that's apparently supposed to be made a bit better?

My evaluation was with the 14 rotor - replaced under warranty as was Armin's - and new (but bedded) EBC pads. We run lots of tight, slow woods that are hard on brakes - lots of application to help with turns but slow wheel speeds that tend to exaggerate grabbiness and little time to cool once heated.

One benefit of the EBC pads is that they seem to be slightly taller (not having measured) and so they sweep the entire disk, unlike the stockers that miss the outermost diameter. I'm going to look at a brake caliper/fluid cooler and some of the Permatex lube for this weekend's race.

Depending on the outcome of that trial I'll develop a plan to test different rotors/pads/fluids.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby ryanmac » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:42 am

My bad. Thanks for the clarifying.
'13 300RR
ryanmac

Postby flybars » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:56 am

Please let us know if the side cover fix worked for the kickstart lever? My '14 doesn't return either.
'14 300rr
flybars

Postby GMP » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:29 am

I would try loosening the cover bolts and retorquing to 6Nm.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby celler » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:43 pm

I actually use both the EBC MXS and the Reds. The Reds are the best I have found when it is dry and hot. I use the MXS when it is wet for longer life. I actually hhad the best results when I used a solid rotor. Both in the wet and dry. Pad life was at least double. Does anyone make a solid rotor for the Beta?
celler

Postby twowheels » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:59 pm

celler wrote:I actually use both the EBC MXS and the Reds. The Reds are the best I have found when it is dry and hot. I use the MXS when it is wet for longer life. I actually hhad the best results when I used a solid rotor. Both in the wet and dry. Pad life was at least double. Does anyone make a solid rotor for the Beta?

AmBeta offers a DirtTricks solid rotor for $115. PM me if you're interested.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby flybars » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:19 pm

GMP wrote:I would try loosening the cover bolts and retorquing to 6Nm.

Thanks, I will give that a try.
'14 300rr
flybars

Postby GMP » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:38 am

I've used solids for years on my GGs before the wave rotor craze, you can go a long time on a set of EBC Red organic pads even in the mud, and the combo does not overheat. When I finally get a spare wheel it will have a solid rotor for sure.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

PreviousNext

Return to Chassis & Body