Sedona 907

Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Sedona 907

Postby celler » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:12 pm

What have others experienced with the Sedona 907. I have just finished with my 2nd one and overall I like it. The area I ride is high desert and the terrain is new to me so I'm not in a great position to make final judgment. As always the tire wear I get seems no where near what others talk about. I will say that Arizona is easier on tires than the dry months in Missouri. The picture is of a tire that has 200 miles on it. Way more wear than the Slaven's picture with 450 miles?? Now for me 200 miles is good. If you look, no chunking. I had an M16 that was doing some chunking at 100 miles. The Sedona just wears very even. At the end it was real loose in the crushed granite that I ride. It worked like a regular knobby in the rocks when worn. I'm curious if this will be a better Colorado tire than a trials tire. I have learned that the MT 43 trilas tire does not work well in the trails I ride in Arizona. So far I have used a Maxis SI, Sedona 907, and M 16 and all were better than the MT43

What have other experienced on different terrain?

Sorry picture will not load. I think it is too large
celler

Re: Sedona 907

Postby GMP » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:55 am

This is the next tire I want to try. I'm hoping it will be closer to what the MotoZ Hybrid hoped to be, that was a failure IMO. I need a good practice/trail ride tire for the rocks that sticks close to a TT but corners and brakes better. Now I either run my old MT16s that have a couple races on them or an MT43. The MT16s are very good but I have to keep the pressure over 6-7 PSI. I run the MT43 at 5 PSI and the ride is really nice for all day abuse, but I just can't make the same pace where there is good dirt on fresh trail. I was hoping to run that stiff wall Sedona at 2-4 PSI for a similar feel. I wouldn't imagine you found any wet/muddy rocks in AZ? Here there are a variety but most not as abrasive as the west and can be wet and covered with mud and even moss. Also logs and log bridges built over blow downs. Any mud has a hard bottom. Stuff the TTs rule at. Problem is these tires are sold out everywhere, supposed to be back in at Slavens next week. What size did you run? Tubliss I'm sure, I think it would be totally useless here at higher tube pressures.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby celler » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:05 pm

Been running 5 PSI. Yep your right that everything is dry and the rocks are grippy granite. The only thing making them slick at times is large amount of loose granite on top. This is where I found the MT 43 would just not get to where the traction is and spin on the loose stuff
celler

Postby Enmerdeur » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:27 pm

I have been running the 907 for about a year I guess. Usually run at 4 PSI. Works great on the mountain single track. It is just OK on fast desert stuff. Reaction in corners at speed is a little vague even with more pressure. Surprisingly does not do very well on slick rock. Wear is pretty good.

I run a Dunlop AT81 Desert RC on my dedicated desert bike. You can run it at 2 PSI with Tubliss.
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Postby celler » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:16 pm

Enmerdeur wrote:I have been running the 907 for about a year I guess. Usually run at 4 PSI. Works great on the mountain single track. It is just OK on fast desert stuff. Reaction in corners at speed is a little vague even with more pressure. Surprisingly does not do very well on slick rock. Wear is pretty good.

I run a Dunlop AT81 Desert RC on my dedicated desert bike. You can run it at 2 PSI with Tubliss.

When you say slick rock are you referring to the sandstone in Utah which is unbelievably tacky normally?
celler

Postby Enmerdeur » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:51 pm

celler wrote:When you say slick rock are you referring to the sandstone in Utah which is unbelievably tacky normally?

Correct.
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Postby celler » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:38 pm

Interesting. I could see the soft knobs flexing around making it feel different.
celler

Postby GMP » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:57 pm

If the compound is soft and you can run it at low PSI then it can't be too bad. I can get decent results with a half spent MT16 @ 7 PSI, but at that point the sidewall and tread are going fast and life is limited. If I could match that traction with a longer life I'd be happy. They are cheap enough to try. I sold my MotoZ so that experiment wasn't a total loss.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby katoom400 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:35 am

GMP wrote:If the compound is soft and you can run it at low PSI then it can't be too bad. I can get decent results with a half spent MT16 @ 7 PSI, but at that point the sidewall and tread are going fast and life is limited. If I could match that traction with a longer life I'd be happy. They are cheap enough to try. I sold my MotoZ so that experiment wasn't a total loss.

The Kenda equilibrium will be my next experiment if it ever gets here!

one of our guys has been running the Sedona with Tubliss @ 5psi and really likes it. He bought them on recommendation from Jeff Slavens a while ago.
katoom400

Postby GMP » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:50 am

Yeah thats on the radar for sure but the few dribbling in aren't cheap! Sounds like they work well but life is questionable, and for us that means even less than normal. I ran my MT43 for the first time in a long time Sunday and was blowing turns for half the ride till I got the braking feel back. Tire was half spent, but I re-siped it with a knobby knife and it stuck like a TT should.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Next

Return to Chassis & Body