Noob question - selecting a helmet

Noob question - selecting a helmet

Postby LarryMW » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:29 am

Hi everyone, I could't decided between this section 'Other' and 'General discussion', but I believe I am posting in the right place. If no, I'm sorry, I'm sure someone will move it to the right place. Anyways, I'm Larry, and I have bought my 1st dirt bike. I have had several sportsbikes, but this is the 1st dirt bike in my riding career haha
I wanted to check with you folks on the helmets and buy one for myself, as I've got a full-face helmet (Nexx) I use when I drive my CBR650F, but I wanted to buy one to use with the Beta.
I appreciate any comments, recommendations on what helmets are good and which one should be avoided.
LarryMW

Re: Noob question - selecting a helmet

Postby Dezzzmomike » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:36 am

Check out the Klim helmets. I use a Klim and have found that they fit similar to my other Arai's but are significantly lighter.
Ducati 955 Corse
Bimota DB8
MV Agusta F4 RR
BMW K1200S
BETA 430 RR-S
Dezzzmomike

Postby mtdirtbag » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:31 am

Larry; if you're fortunate enough to live where there are a lot of shops that carry various brands I would try on as many as possible. Every head is different and each helmet is different as far as fit goes. I have Arai, Shoei and 6D and each one fits me differently, comfort wise the Shoei is the best one for those days we are clearing and I have to take the helmet off and on alot; when I'm racing I use the 6D as it fits the tightest and my Arai is my dual sport helmet. I also have an Arai helmet that I used to use for off-road but it always rubbed my upper forehead in a way that was irritating and often would leave me with a headache, strangely the dual sport helmet is fine.

I buy what is considered high end helmets because I remember a comment from the sixties in a dirt bike mag "if you have a ten dollar brain buy a ten dollar helmet, if you have no brain don't wear one" .
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby LarryMW » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:49 am

Appreciate your suggestions, folks. Yea, I know, that the better the helmet fits the head, the more conveniet it will be to drive with one on.
I usually go and try as many helmets as I can, as you've mentioned, and then I go and buy one online, especially when there are Black Friday, Thanksgiving, Cyber Monday, etc. sales.
It's not about 10-cent brain haha. Just I realize that I can get a product I like from the other authorized dealer cheaper, so I do that.
But, I like the quote, and I do not buy helmets that cost $50 or something. I'm more into the brands that I've at least heared of.
Dezzzmomike wrote:Check out the Klim helmets. I use a Klim and have found that they fit similar to my other Arai's but are significantly lighter.

I haven't heared of the Kim's helmets, but I will definitely try them out. As I said, I understand the overall idea of selecting helmets, but dual sport helmets are new to me, as well as dirt bikes, so I decided that there's a lot of stuff I need to learn from you folks.
Now, I tried these 2 on, and both seem to fit the shape of my head right, so I cannot decide between the 2:
LS2 Subverter MX470 Helmet at Rocky Mountain shop;
Answer Racing AR-3 Align Dirt Bike Helmet at Motorcycle id.
Wanted to ask you folks about these 2 helmet manufacturers, anyone tried them on?
LarryMW

Postby Kaos » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:50 am

I’m a fan of the newer light helmets , had an airoh and now use Suomy . Price point is a little higher , but the reduction in fatigue is truly a game changer when riding hard with a light helmet .
Kaos

Postby typeone » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:02 am

Larry, welcome to dirt biking and Beta! You're in for some excellent times :D

here is what i look for in a dirt helmet:

- ECE/DOT rating (although i think ECE only is enough)
- proper fit with zero pressure points
- removable liner for washing
- soft, durable interior
- durable hardware for visor mount, D-rings, etc
- the more vents, the better
- weight, weight, weight!!!
- multiple shell sizes to help keep weight and overall dimensions down

both LS2 and Answer will offer a quality lid for the money so you don't have to worry with either one.

since you have a Rocky Mountain link in your current mix, maybe sort by your budget price range and customer ratings to narrow down the field. most riders choose the larger, well-known brands so that's probably where the top ratings will be. price doesn't always dictate quality or safety but it usually will reflect materials used (e.g. carbon vs composite vs poly, etc)
'13 250RR / '19 200RR / '22 200RE
typeone

Postby LarryMW » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:58 am

Thanks for your replies, folks. At the moment I was checking on the safety ratings of the helmets I liked (I have added 3 more to my list).
Still have some time till Black Friday sales to make a decision. I'm sure there will be good price offers...
LarryMW

Return to Other..