Brake Pin Plug

Brake Pin Plug

Postby Superboar » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:17 pm

This plug on the rear brake caliper covers the pin that holds the brake pads in place, part number 31-96821-000. After goobering up the slot with a screw driver, I am about to take an impact screw driver to it (not the electric kind, instead, you beat this thing with a hammer which drives the bit into the slot while simultaneously twisting the bit). Before I start beating on my nice motorcycle, does anybody have any insight on how to remove this plug?
Superboar

Re: Brake Pin Plug

Postby pscook » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:58 pm

Your method is the one that I would do. However, I would add a little heat, either with a heat gun or with a propane torch set very low. Heat up the screw and the area around it, spray it with a little penetrating oil, and then go after it. The steel plug and the aluminum caliper corrode together, which is why you are having issues. I simply toss the plug and replace the pin with a Yamaha hex head pin that you can get from most off road parts houses.

Good luck!
pscook

Postby Superboar » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:57 am

The brake pad pin is threaded and removed with a 5mm Allen key wrench. EBC brakes come with a new pin. It's the threaded cover that is the problem. It is a redundant safety feature that is tempting to omit upon reassembly, especially because it is removed with a flat screwdriver so easy to goober up. It came out with a impact driver. This cover absolutely needs to be reinstalled but not wanting to repeat the impact driver removal, I took the old threaded brake pad pin, cut off the head, and use that as the redundant safety cover. It is removed with a 5mm Allen just like the brake pad pin itself - simple solution. The home made cover is much better which begs the question why wasn't it like this in the first place. The engineering genius on these Betas always astounds me only to discover some totally thoughtless detail. Go figure!
Superboar

Postby webmaster » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:52 pm

This is the nissin brake pin hanger design and all of them are the same (honda, yamaha, suzuki, etc.).

You can buy quick removal brake pins - used for isde setup if you anticipate needing to change brake pads during the event. e.g. you have a short work period each day to change tires & perform other maintenance, etc.

This give you a 8mm hex head vs an allen to remove the brake hanger pin. The disadvantage of this setup is that the 8mm hex protrudes out of the threaded area and can be damaged by impact with rock, etc. Which is why I bought a set long ago and never installed them.

https://www.chapmoto.com/drc-stainless- ... n-set.html

jeff
Webmaster
Beta Riders Club
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby ride2little » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:06 pm

Get that plug out and order some of these.

https://shop.betausa.com/p/hex-head-brake-pin-set?pp=12
~MK~
2018 Beta 300rr
2009 BMW F800GS
2019 Honda Monkey
ride2little

Return to Other..