Beta RR250, RR300 or Xtrainer?

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Re: Beta RR250, RR300 or Xtrainer?

Postby Clearvu1 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:38 am

I have a 250RR, my buddy has a 300RR, both MY2016. I'm 175lbs. and he's 240lbs. I suspect his riding experience is similar to mine. My 250 has ample grunt to move my size in a fluid, quick pace. I can loft the front end over about any obstacle with very little effort. It would be harder for him to get the same response from the 250 simply due to his size difference. I suspect that the 300 moves him around with the same ease the 250 moves me. The 300 does vibrate more....14% more shake force to be exact. I've yet to find myself in a position where I thought a 300 would be better for me, but if I were 50-70lbs heavier I'm sure the 300 would be a better choice. My advise, FWIW (very little) is if you are of smaller, lighter stature you will be very happy, and possibly quicker, with the 250. For me it feels lighter, vibrates a little less and turns a little easier which allows me to ride a little longer with less fatigue. You can't go wrong either way but before you spend $8k it's worth thinking about.
Clearvu1

Re: Beta RR250, RR300 or Xtrainer?

Postby betajuice » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:39 pm

great to hear your feedback on the xtrainer power valve spacer GMP, i've just heard guys talking about it but not actually how much improvement they felt it provided.

Bandicoot wrote:I have always had the impression that the 300's are the more forgiving bike, allows for a lazier rider (If wanted), or you can blast & roost its way through the terrain like a mad man on a mission from God, and to my thinking the 250's have always been a riders bike, it needs more imput from a rider with clutch, throttle etc etc than what you would a 300 ????
Has this changed ???? Do we class the 250's as the easier lazy bike now to ride ??
Is the 300 now the bike that needs more of a rider imput and is less forgiving ???
Are my thoughts wrong Barry or have things changed ???

it's a very interesting question bandicoot, and it's one of the reasons i always feel a bit uncomfortable doing reviews because others can see things in a very different way. i usually try to cover for this by reading lots of other user and magazine reviews when possible and include those if they are quite different....

i figured the RR250 could be easier on the less experienced rider simply because there is less grunt so less chance of the bike getting away from them if they give it throttle in an awkward moment. generally i think the less experienced rider would be better off on a four stroke initially but if they want a smoker i figure the 250 could be a good starter bike.

but once a rider is fairly experienced then i'd agree the 300 can be more forgiving and lug around in a higher gear and need less clutch slipping. others may see that differently but it seems to be in line with what many say.
betajuice

Previous

Return to General Discussions & Announcements