Connecticut Street Registration RR Race questions

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Connecticut Street Registration RR Race questions

Postby kirv » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:42 am

Hi all,
This is my 1st post here. i put a deposit on a 2016 250 RR race over the weekend from a dealer in MA. the CT DMV site says all i'd need for street reg is a VIN check (plus COO, bill of sale) if purchased out of state, but i'm hearing conflicting reports.
- Has anyone street plated an RR Race in CT?
- What was your experience, did you have to to through a DMV inspection, or just do a VIN check?
- need to add dual sport parts, etc...?
- does the COO say "off road only"?

Thanks
kirv

Re: Conntecticut Street Registration RR Race questions

Postby twowheels » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:33 am

The COO make no reference to "off-road only" unless the dealer requests that designation, giving the body style as "motorcycle.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby kirv » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:45 am

Thanks. I'll reply again with my experience so anyone with this question in the future will know what to expect in CT.
kirv

Postby bmrev01 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:39 pm

The dealer should have the answer for you. I know we tell our customers if you register in Ct you will need to bring it to the DMV to have it inspected. Beta is not a recognized brand in Ct as of 2016.
Dave
bmrev01

Postby kirv » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:45 am

yes, my expectation is to go through the DMV inspection, CT now has a rule that even if a manufacturer is on the licensed list, "anything resembling a dirt bike must go through the wethersfield DMV inspection". http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=804&q=527244
there is also a checklist for off-road bikes to make it through. http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/modified_checklist.pdf

after speaking to a dealer that has had customers bring their beta RR's to CT DMV for inspection, i'm told that i just have to add turn signals, a mirror, and the license plate extension / mudflap, and it will pass.

Now the question is, how touchy are they about having the motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license? i don't have one, and i've read that they require it for you to 'operate' the motorcycle for the inspection. will post my experience after i try, probably next week.
kirv

Postby kirv » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:12 pm

I successfully registered my 2016 250 RR Race Edition with a street registration and plate in CT.
It wasn't all that painful.
I ordered the sicass racing blinker kit and installed it. 2 things, on the Race edition, the flasher plug is tied to the frame near the battery under the right-side panel, i couldn't find it until i cut the zip tie and it fell down (wasted HOURS on this!). The supplied flasher from SMS doesn't fit, i cut out the connectors and soldered the wires together, then heat shrink wrapped the connection.

This is what you need to get through the DMV inspection:
horn (they didn't test it though)
headlight hi-low beam
blinkers (Front - at least 9" apart center to center. Rear - at least 4" from the tail light edge to edge, they didn't measure but this is in the requirements list).
white license plate light
Rear view mirror
DOT tires (cannot say "not for highway use" or "off-road only" on them)
License plate extension (mud flap), must be within 14" above rear axle
brake light that shines brighter when either brake is pressed
red reflectors on the sides at the rear of the bike (sides of license plate extension)
amber reflectors on the sides near the front of the bike (sides of forks)
Driver's license

I found all of the above on the CT DMV site for composite motorcycles. the only part missing was about the reflectors, but the DMV guys were helpful and directed me to the nearest hardware store, I returned to inspection, stuck on the reflectors and they passed the bike.

I purchased new from an out of state dealer, brought the following and successfully registered:
DMV application for title form
DMV Inspection form showing you passed
Cert of Origin
Bill of Sale
Proof of insurance
Driver's License

They didn't check or notice if i had a motorcycle endorsement on my license, YMMV, if you don't have the M endorsement you might get through anyway.

Hope this is helpful for anyone else looking to street register their dirt bike. I know if this write up existed before, it would have saved me about a day getting the bike ready.
kirv

Postby typeone » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:19 am

thanks for the follow up!

you wouldn't happen to be friends with John G. who rides a KTM 200, would you? met him at the J Day Sprint Enduro on Sat. he mentioned a friend that just bought a 250RR.
'13 250RR / '19 200RR / '22 200RE
typeone

Postby RMZ290 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:36 pm

typeone wrote:thanks for the follow up!

you wouldn't happen to be friends with John G. who rides a KTM 200, would you? met him at the J Day Sprint Enduro on Sat. he mentioned a friend that just bought a 250RR.

Nope, but I am. Funny I came across this thread.
2015 250 RR
RMZ290

Postby typeone » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:11 pm

RMZ290 wrote:

hah! small world :D tell John he needs to move up to B, he took 10th OVERALL (and won his class). good work!

i see you're in western MA ... just got back from riding Pittsfield SF area. man they deleted a lot of trail, haven't been out there in a long, long time. we extended it a bit and ran up to Jiminy Peak summit but didn't know the trails above Potter Mtn Rd. it's all double track but still had a good time. awesome weather.
'13 250RR / '19 200RR / '22 200RE
typeone

Postby RMZ290 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:43 am

typeone wrote:
RMZ290 wrote:

hah! small world :D tell John he needs to move up to B, he took 10th OVERALL (and won his class). good work!

i see you're in western MA ... just got back from riding Pittsfield SF area. man they deleted a lot of trail, haven't been out there in a long, long time. we extended it a bit and ran up to Jiminy Peak summit but didn't know the trails above Potter Mtn Rd. it's all double track but still had a good time. awesome weather.

Haven't been up that way in a while. We usually ride places in a 25 mile radius of Southwick. If your ever looking for someone to ride with let me know, your welcome to join us. I'd appreciate some Beta setup tips too! Only have two rides on my new '15 250 rr now. Feels pretty good out of the box. Maybe different tires and some slight fork adjustments and it'll be spot on.
2015 250 RR
RMZ290

Next

Return to General Discussions & Announcements