What engine size?

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

What engine size?

Postby dznnf7 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:01 pm

I've been looking at new enduro bikes for the last few months, and while the dealer network is thin, I really like the Beta offerings. I'm a veteran street rider but haven't been on dirt much for the last 20+ years. I'd like a dual sport, and it looks like in 2017 we'll be awash in them. A common thread is that the frame size and weight all seem to be the same and only the engine displacement changes. KTM/Husky and Beta both follow this pattern, and price differences as you go up in engine size are negligible. My default would be to go with the biggest engine to give me the broadest power spread, but there's four choices with Beta - and there must be a better reason than just insurance cost! What am I missing here? Am I going to get a 500 and realize a 350/390/430 was somehow a better choice? The steel valves in a 500 might have some benefits for longevity, but otherwise there's no changes but cc's and a few bucks.
dznnf7

Re: What engine size?

Postby bikesparky » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:58 pm

Can I tempt you with a 300 2 stroke?
I ditched the big 4 strokes and I really love this bike.
It's light, it handles and tracks like a dream, pretty close power wise to the big 4's also.
Minimum maintenance compared to the 4 strokes and if you talk about longevity they are easily refreshed with a new top end.

4 strokes have their place but I kept changing oil on them every 2 weeks, and when the inevitably rebuild looms the price will make your eyes water.
bikesparky

Postby Deck1 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:42 pm

in 2016, I had only 2 choices, 430 or 500. I went with the one that I perceived as working less hard to do the same work, the 500. I gear up pretty heavy, like to keep engine low in rev range most of the time, and was coming from a XR650R. At my age, most of the dirt is fire roads, and less single track. BUT, 500 is still very good single track bike, on the trails I have done. I also had a dual sport XR250 that I built. I ended up revving that bike a lot, and it was a blast. Honestly, I think I would have been happy on any of them, 350, 390, 430 or 500. One other thing to consider was fuel mileage. Betas are pretty thirsty. I figured the higher revving bike would likely be thirstier, and longevity might be shorter. I did ride a friends KTM 500EXC prior to buying Beta, and like it a lot, except for seat height, and engine noise. The Beta is better package for both of these, plus much cleaner wiring behind headlight, and doesn't need to be uncorked. I hope that helps.

I'm very happy with my 500!!
Dale in Colfax
2016 500RS
Deck1

Postby dznnf7 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:53 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm still trying to get a fix on availability and "real" pricing on the Betas, and the engine size is the point I'm stuck at.

As far as a 2-stroke, I really like the street-legal aspect of the new 4's, since I occasionally do local trails that I could jump on the bike and ride to. I could do the same on my current enduro [older WR250F], but risk police action here in New Yorkistan. That said, the smokers look like huge fun and the oil injection pretty much eliminates any issue with inconvenience. I understand the maintenance costs, but I do my own work and I'm at the point in life I can afford whatever it is; aka "old". :D

I'm 100% sure I'd love any of them, since they're motorcycles. But other's impressions are valuable to me.
dznnf7

Postby Vspec » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:56 am

I was shooting for 480 (500), looked at 430, ended up with a 390, could not be happier.

I humbly believe that intended terrain of use should dictate displacement.

Now 2t vs 4t, that's a whole different story, they have different engine characteristics.
Vspec

Postby dznnf7 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:00 pm

Thanks for the reply!
My terrain would probably be considered 80% flowing trails and some solid whoops and "dirt features", with 20% being rocky rutted trails that are much more "enduro" than "trials bike" stuff. The road stuff is incidental, unless the chosen bike had trouble maintaining a 55 mph speed. THAT would suck.

What usage made the 390 perfect for you?
dznnf7

Postby betajuice » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:18 am

the latest issue of traction erag has a good rundown on the all the beta models: http://tractionerag.ca/

i've finally got to ride all the beta models and would agree with their conclusions, for what it's worth.
betajuice

Postby dznnf7 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:13 am

Thanks, that was very helpful. I guess what often confuses me in the descriptions is the comments about the heavy feel of a bike like the 480/500 when Beta puts its weight at just a few pounds more than the 250, but I suppose a lot of it is just "feel".

The 390 does sound like a great middle-of-the-road choice.
dznnf7

Postby Vspec » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:05 am

dznnf7 wrote:What usage made the 390 perfect for you?

This:
dznnf7 wrote:The 390 does sound like a great middle-of-the-road choice.

My opinion is as dodgy as can be, but for me it represented the jack-of-all-trade bike, middle-of-the-road as you said. As good in the open as in the tight. I ride a fairly equal mix of flowing (I am not really fast, working on that) and tight trails. Since I only have few years of off-road riding too much power would probably be detrimental, hence why I did not take the 430.

Both the 390 and 430 will hold 55mph with no problems, I my top speed was 70+.

I have anecdotal evidence (from owners) that the 480 (in stock form) can be tiring to handle in the tighter stuff, betajuice might want to disagree on that one, I mean he makes it look easy.

I would tend to suggest the 430 to you but I don't think you'd find life boring aboard a 390.
Vspec

Postby betajuice » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:18 am

Vspec wrote:
dznnf7 wrote:What usage made the 390 perfect for you?

This:
dznnf7 wrote:The 390 does sound like a great middle-of-the-road choice.

....I have anecdotal evidence (from owners) that the 480 (in stock form) can be tiring to handle in the tighter stuff, betajuice might want to disagree on that one, I mean he makes it look easy....

admittedly i've been surprised at how well the 480 copes in tight terrain... things have to get quite gnarly before it really starts to feel significantly heavier and harder to manage than the smokers.

compared to the smaller thumpers? i'd really need to ride them back to back to confirm the 480 feels heavier (despite being the same weight) due to that rotational mass thing. but so many have said it makes a difference i'm sure i would find the same thing happening. :)
betajuice

Next

Return to General Discussions & Announcements