Stuff for setting up '17 crosstrainer

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Stuff for setting up '17 crosstrainer

Postby Crazy_Nate » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:47 am

Hey all,

I have a 300 XT on the way. Would like some input so I have the correct supplies on hand to ensure I can start breaking it in when it arrives.

• What's the stock sparkplug for the crosstrainer?
  • Any issues running Motul 800 (what I have on hand) instead of 710 for the break-in?
  • Any must do mods? I've seen that the mud flap rubs on the swing arm and that I might want to secure the OI hose a little better. I'll probably relocate the horn when I get a chance. I've also seen that some don't like the stock throttle cable (flimsy crimping?).
  • Is the jetting chart the same for the 300RR? I haven't seen anything specific for the XT. I'm at 7200'. I'm considering grabbing a JD kit, but there are lots of preferences for needles...

Thanks for the input.

-Nate
Beta 300 XT 2017 (soon!)
KTM 200 EXC 2003
Crazy_Nate

Re: Stuff for setting up '17 crosstrainer

Postby wwguy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:12 am

The stock NGK plug has a custom part number and is only available from the dealer at a premium price. The more common BPR7EIX plug appears to have identical specs and is available all over the web for around $8. I'm running it and it works great.

There are a lot of people, including me, that have had problems with water ingress around the bezel on the speedo display. I found out the hard way when I flooded mine while washing with a garden hose and had to replace it. Nowadays I just slip a plastic baggie and rubber band over it before washing.

You'll be surprised at the detritus that finds it's way into the airbox during the course of a ride or two. I find it's easiest to just rinse it out, which requires temporarily removing the air filter, removing the rubber drain plug, and installing one of those orange airbox intake plugs sold on Beta's parts site (or at the dealer.)

You may also experience problems with kill switch or other electrical function due to electrical connectors coming partly undone behind the headlight. A little dielectric grease and a zip tie helps with this.

You'll probably also get some spooge dripping from the rubber connector between the exhaust pipe and the silencer. Zip ties worked great for me. I've read where some other riders have used stainless steel hose clamps.

I bought a P3 carbon skid plate that works great, but I have to remove it to change to oil. Due to design this also means I have to remove the exhaust pipe too. SOme other skid plates may not have this limitation. I opted to remove the stock plastic skid plate after reading of riders who discovered dented frames beneath them after bashing into things.

I live at 3000' and ride between 2500' and 10,000'. I started noticing performance issues due to running overly rich at about 6000' to 7000'. For me the challenge was the elevation range variation that required constant tinkering with jetting. I recently gave up on that and switched to an aftermarket Lectron carb that handles the changes better.

I'm an Amsoil fanboy and have never run Motul in my Beta, but you may find this comparison interesting. If true it appears that Motul 710 is probably better suited to the typical riding characteristics of the Xtrainer.
http://www.bansheehq.com/forums/index.p ... idnt-know/
wwguy

Postby bikesparky » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:06 pm

Crazy_Nate wrote:Hey all,

Any issues running Motul 800 (what I have on hand) instead of 710 for the break-in?

I'm pretty sure Motul 800 is not suitable for oil injection. A lot of oil companies have 2 kinds of viscosity in synthetic 2 stroke oil. one is slightly diluted and works for oil injection systems and the other one is not and is strictly premix. This is why the recommended motul one is the 710.
bikesparky

Postby Crazy_Nate » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:05 pm

Thanks for the input.

I'm not sure I agree that some 2T oils aren't suitable for oil injection...it's still a 2T oil... It runs great in my KTM, but if I don't ride it hard, it is a bit messy (high flash point and all). I'm not sure why the Beta would be different, other than it's not mixed directly in the fuel. If the worst thing is that I just have to repack the exhaust earlier, that's not too bad. I just have 4L worth of Motul 800 that is ready to go.

Good to know there's a "generic" plug that works just as well. I'll grab a few :)

When all is said and done I'll have a skid plate (EE), pipe guard, linkage / guard (stillwell), hand guards (Cycra probends?) and some dual sport stuff on initially so I can plate it :)

Too bad the electrical bits are sensitive. I shrinkwrapped most of the connectors on my other bikes and haven't had issues with washing them.
Beta 300 XT 2017 (soon!)
KTM 200 EXC 2003
Crazy_Nate

Postby bikesparky » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:27 pm

Crazy_Nate wrote:Thanks for the input.

I'm not sure I agree that some 2T oils aren't suitable for oil injection...it's still a 2T oil... It runs great in my KTM, but if I don't ride it hard, it is a bit messy (high flash point and all). I'm not sure why the Beta would be different, other than it's not mixed directly in the fuel. If the worst thing is that I just have to repack the exhaust earlier, that's not too bad. I just have 4L worth of Motul 800 that is ready to go.

it's to do with viscosity, probably doesn't run trough the oil injection system that well specially in colder climates.
Have a read on the Elf moto tech 2 and the elf moto 2 race. The spec sheets are online. Clearly says about not for oil injection and compare the viscosity between the 2. I believe Motul 800 and 710 is similar.
bikesparky

Postby Crazy_Nate » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:31 pm

Ok, thanks for the persistence. Motul's website confirms. 800 2T oil is for premix only (even the tech sheet refers you to 710 2T for injection). I didn't think that the viscosity was that much different, but wow (I wonder if it gels in the winter?)! Flash point is substantially different too, but to be expected (252 C versus 88 C). Guess I need to find a supplier.

https://www.motul.com/system/product_de ... 1388420010

https://www.motul.com/system/product_de ... 1388421737
Beta 300 XT 2017 (soon!)
KTM 200 EXC 2003
Crazy_Nate

Postby canamfan » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:41 pm

I used tiny zipties on the oil line in the airbox and where it plugs into the intake manifold. I did notice wear on my swingarm from the mudflap. Gotta do something about that. Also cut the end of the airbox drain as it likes to plug.
canamfan

Return to General Discussions & Announcements