New member & what bike?

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Re: New member & what bike?

Postby wwguy » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:00 pm

I've got 60 hours on my 2016 Xtrainer on mountain single track here in Idaho. I love it for it's compact frame dimensions, low seat height, super-tight turning radius, light weight, and linear power curve. For a 300cc 2-stroke enduro-oriented machine this bike opened my eyes to the meaning of "flickable" and "agile".

But I think the stock suspension is cheap junk for the same reasons discussed over and over in these forums. Frankly I wouldn't still own the bike if there weren't alternatives for component replacement. (As far as I know there are no Olle upgrades worth mentioning. Only replacements.) And I certainly don't have the riding experience and credentials that you do.

If you buy an Xtrainer you should budget another $2000 or so to correct the suspension. Or you can spend about the same to buy a 300 RR and lower it to XT specs. IMHO the biggest differences between finished solutions for both is that no matter what the 300 RR solution will end up with the larger frame, larger rear shock, greater turning radius (still not bad at all), and different power curve associated with the RR pipe and PV etc.

I love my XT and have no regrets about my investments in suspension etc. But if I do it again I'll probably go with a 300 RR and shortened suspension just to experience the difference. My best guess is that my true nirvana lies somewhere in between both bikes. LOL.
wwguy

Postby singletracker » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:18 am

From what I've read thus far it looks like the nearly perfect bike for me is the Beta X-trainer with the RR suspension. I don't think that's an option so I guess I need to look at what suspension works on the X-trainer before I make any decisions.
singletracker

Postby Glenn » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:02 pm

I joined in July and have been reading with much interest the sage advice provided in this Forum. Thank you for such quality information.
I purchased a 2016 Beta 480 and think it is an amazingly flexible bike. I have come off a long line of Huskies the last being a TE449 which was both brilliant and flawed,( great traction and engine, lousy ecu ). I still have a couple of 310's for tight single trail stuff. I live in the Victorian High Country which has a proliferation of jeep tracks that are both very steep and endless. The big bore is ideal for this country. I have added Bark busters, rad guard, speed guard, G2 throttle tamer, wet/dry weather mapping switch- (we get snow here),clutch case save and a better rear brake pin.
I considered a Husky or KTM 500 rode my mates new six day 500 exc and found the following: massive roll on power/acceleration, spongy front brake, difficult to change direction in the tight and feels big. The Beta is much lighter in the front end, braking is superior (go figure Nissin c/w Brembo) and all together a more accommodating ride. Very impressed with the suspension out of the blocks ( I weigh 105 Kgs)
I also ride on road and have a current Ducati Multistrada 1200 Sport.

I am so pleaded I got on board with the 480, it suits my local geographics, weight and age (early 60's) in that I can be lazy and stay seated when tired and still punch hard through the bush.

Cheers and best regards to all.

Glenn
Glenn

Postby Jwhuls » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:31 am

I recently bought a 17 300RR. I love it. Also coming from the Husky TXC 449. Love that bike and cant get ride of it. gonna have a buddy rebuild it this winter and hopefully keep it as a second ride.

I come from the wooded hills of the Hoosier National Forest and wanted to drop some pounds for the tight gnarly single track we have. finishing up a 6 mile long hard endure course on my property and it tears up the husky's. the little Beta loves it.

I have blown though a bunch of corners but am starting to get it.
Jwhuls

Postby danketchpel » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:09 pm

I'm a new member here and have posted a few times.

I recently purchased a 2017 500 RR-S and so far really love the bike.

I'm looking at this as a long term ownership so I plan to be around for quite some time.
danketchpel

Postby 1enduro » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:55 am

Obviously this is just my opinion but it sounds like we are about the same speed. I won my class both 40+ B Harescramble and 40+ B Enduro and now race 40+ A. Even though you think you’ll be slowing down and probably will, your slow pace will be faster than most people can ride at their best. You will also feel better one day and may want to still “put it down” for a few miles here and there. IMO you will not be able to do this on an X-Trainer at your skill level even if you are riding at 60%, also IMO anyone that rides at a mid-pack B level or better will benefit from the Race Edition because the CC forks handle the speed way better especially if you have whoop’s or sand. I like the 250 better only because you can rev it out a little more and the throttle won’t get you into trouble as easy should you whiskey it.
1enduro

Postby Nicajohn » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:32 am

Just like everyone here I have my opinion, any beta seems to be a perfect fit. All are easy to ride but I found my fun factor on a 430rr. Coming off light 2ts I thought the weight difference would be a killer. And while it is really noticeable the bike is extremely "flickable" in tight stuff. I'm not racing but think I keep a pretty good pace and this bike will go from a crawl to wide open without hesitation. As far as suspension, I've only changed oil and adjusted clickers when needed and it's almost too much of a plush ride but never bottomed it out. My only problem is in the winter it's bard to get out after work with short days.
Nicajohn

Postby singletracker » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:54 pm

Thanks for all of the advice.

I'm pretty sure it's safe to rule out the X-trainer now. A four stroke is very tempting, but the one thing that makes me leery is the noise since I'll be riding around my house at times and I have neighbors. I'll make a final decision on what to get once I heal up and get back on my GasGas again.
singletracker

Previous

Return to General Discussions & Announcements