Dirt Bike Channel 300RR Review

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Dirt Bike Channel 300RR Review

Postby aj_mariner » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:04 pm

Anybody watch his full review on YouTube?
For anybody who watched it and doesn't have a beta:
It is easy to change needles and jets, no gas tank removal required.
Map switch: put it on the steering lock
Front brake: I like that I can feather it with one finger. If you don't, change discs.
Gearing: There are a wide variety of sprockets out their to suit your terrain and comfort.
No hand guards: I removed the flag style and installed the Cycra ProBend. Saved my hands and levers in the gnar.
Mainly made for hobbits: uhhh, I'm 6' and think the cockpit/frame is easy to maneuver.

The main reason I got a Beta, because the 2017 KTM and Husky 300 bikes were called turds by those enthusiasts.
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Re: Dirt Bike Channel 300RR Review

Postby Enmerdeur » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:03 pm

Do not pay too much attention to Kyle. He has very limited dirt bike experience. He has only been riding for a few years. He was on quads before that. Some of his and guest's statements really plants my palm in my forehead sometimes. Probably one of the greatest of all times is when one of his "test riders" was reviewing an KTM 250 XCF. When asked about the bike he said the best thing about the bike was the ODI grips which of course can be fitted on to any bike. Really has nothing to do whether the bike is a KTM or whatever.

I have a real hard time watching him anymore. It just makes me cringe. That being said he has a big following. Must be all noobs.
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Postby twowheels » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:33 pm

Dirt Bike Channel is kind of like a seeing emergency lights flashing on the freeway - of course you slow down and look, but then accelerate away shaking your head when you realize its just a travel trailer that skipped out on the hitch and safety chains.
Last edited by twowheels on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby aj_mariner » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:03 am

:o
ODI grips :lol:
The one thing I like about his vids are that they don't just spit out shite you can read off the manufacturers website write-up. But yes, Cross Training Enduro Skills channel is the best for Beta.
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Postby moto367 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:24 am

twowheels wrote:Dirt Bike Channel is kind of like a seeing emergency lights flashing on the freeway - of course you slow down and look, but then accelerate away when you realize its just a travel trailer that skipped out on the hitch and safety chains.

LOL!
moto367

Postby Enmerdeur » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:14 am

Another good one is his in depth tutorial on air filter maintenance where apparently he skips the step of actually washing the air filter after the solvent bath, thus leaving about half the dirt in the filter
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Postby aj_mariner » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:39 pm

Dude, sometimes the dirt just needs and oil change. 8-)
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Postby Enmerdeur » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:24 pm

aj_mariner wrote:Dude, sometimes the dirt just needs and oil change. 8-)

Ah
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Postby Misko » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:43 pm

Dang guys, the guy spends a ton of his time and money to put together great free content, delivers basically a glowing review of the bike, but because he makes a mistake here and there or is not a race caliber rider he is dismissed?! :?
The Beta cool aid must be stronger than even the orange stuff. :shock:

The review was basically spot on in my opinion. My thoughts...
- Ergonomics are always personal, I am 6'3" and don't feel cramped on the Beta (with lower pegs, bar rises and tall seat).
- The front brake doesn't bother me, but almost every person that's ridden my bike comments on how strong/grabby it can be.
- The clutch is light, but not KTM light. The motor is smooth, but the counter balanced 2017+ KTMs are on a whole another level, they are smoother than some 4 strokes I've ridden.
2018 Beta 390 RR-S
Misko

Postby katoom400 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:15 am

Misko wrote:Dang guys, the guy spends a ton of his time and money to put together great free content, delivers basically a glowing review of the bike, but because he makes a mistake here and there or is not a race caliber rider he is dismissed?! :?
The Beta cool aid must be stronger than even the orange stuff. :shock:

The review was basically spot on in my opinion. My thoughts...
- Ergonomics are always personal, I am 6'3" and don't feel cramped on the Beta (with lower pegs, bar rises and tall seat).
- The front brake doesn't bother me, but almost every person that's ridden my bike comments on how strong/grabby it can be.
- The clutch is light, but not KTM light. The motor is smooth, but the counter balanced 2017+ KTMs are on a whole another level, they are smoother than some 4 strokes I've ridden.

I'll cut him some slack since he's a quad guy coming switching over to the dirt bike world, he has a steep learning curve. When I hear him bag on the bike for things like the where the kill switch is, or the forks deflect more than my other bike he just loses me. Every bike needs personal and terrain specific setup. As long as you don't have to spend a huge amount on personalizing it...who cares?
Nobody I know rides a stock bike in our woods regardless of brand. It also seems like most of his trails are fast and flowing with a few rocky sections here or there, so yeah a KTM XC might feel more at home in stock trim there.

I agree with you on the 2017 KTM two strokes...the lack of vibration is insane!

When I first got my 2014 300RE, people would ask me why it is better than a KTM. My answer was it wasn't necessarily better, just different.... it had a smoother trials like motor with electric start that worked every time...always! The seat height was also a big selling point for me since I ride extremely technical terrain. In 2017 KTM fixed two of my three major complaints on their 2 stroke lineup...the starter and the vibes. If they could bring that seat height back down to 2007 levels I would be happy with one. Not that I couldn't make some changes to deal with the seat height, it would just be nice for me if it didn't start out so high. I'm sure taller guys feel different.

I'll also say that every KTM I've owned needed a fan or Evans coolant to keep it from boiling over in the very tight trails I ride. The Beta never ever puked radiator fluid ever...I don't know why and I don't care...again, not that big of a deal to add a fan kit, but it's nice that the Beta never needed it.

As far as suspension, my 14 had the zoke forks which were some of the best rock forks I've ever ridden and I am very picky about suspension. Unfortunately they had some quality control issues and with Marzocchi out of the suspension business it was hard to find parts. KTM WP OC forks have evolved decently over the years, but they really screwed everyone with 4CS and the jury is still out on the AER forks. I know guys that love them, and some that spent big $$ converting them to spring forks. GasGas is on the right track with the 2018's having KYB. which have been long regarded as one of the best off road platforms.

I never really rode my 2015's OC Sachs units as I upgraded to KYB right away (found a great deal on ebay), but the few rides I had on them they never did anything crazy bad. The Sachs shock has been absolutely fine for me once valved and sprung right.
katoom400

Next

Return to General Discussions & Announcements