Beta Dual Sport

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Beta Dual Sport

Postby HRRacing » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:47 am

Maybe this has been previously discussed, but I'm interested in anyone's input including ride reports on any model of Beta factory street legal bikes including older ones with the KTM rfs engines. Here in Oregon, I cannot plate an offroad model so I have to purchase a factory plated bike. I can't afford new, but I'm still interested in reports on new bikes as well. I currently ride an older Honda and mostly ride gravel and dirt mountain and desert roads. Very little to no paved roads. I have a 250RR for my trail bike, so I'm not looking to do much trail riding with my dual sport. Just curious what everyone thinks of there dual sport bikes.

I probably should post in suggestions topic, but it would be nice to have a Dual Sport specific topic.
Thanks
HRRacing

Re: Beta Dual Sport

Postby ricoyam » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:22 pm

I have a 2015 430 RS. It is a great bike. A friend has, I think a 2012 450 with the KTM engine and he really likes it. No reason to think any RS wouldn't serve you well. As can be expected the bikes improve with each successive year so buy the newest thing you can afford.
It's pretty hard to find a bad bike anymore. The Beta, KTM or Husky will get you a top notch dual sportier.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby Nicajohn » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:42 am

I have a '15 430rr. Somehow in NJ the RR is street legal and self inspect, so I just added a mirror. Even though no signals they added wires to attach them. I just added the fan kit and it already had wire hook up. Just had to pull it out of cluster under tank.
Nicajohn

Postby HRRacing » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:32 pm

Won't work here in Oregon. Has to have US emissions certification. RR's don't have that. Being prewired for lights doesn't count. It sucks. Across the border in Washington, you can plate any bike.
HRRacing

Postby Nicajohn » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:23 pm

Yea that's sucks. I thought for sure that jersey would be one of the toughest to get plated. It used to be 20 yrs ago when I got my first dual sport, klr250. Compared to this bike the kilt was good for very little
Nicajohn

Postby Benriding » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:51 pm

Have a 15 500 RS, has been a solid bike! I do race a bit with it as well and it is very nimble for a big 4stroke. Perfect for dual sports, compares well against KTM/Husky in my opinion and feel it handles the tight stuff better while still remaining very stable. Just get your sag setting right and your good. Mine has a carb, which is what I wanted, will avoid FI for as long as I can as tried it before on a Husky and was stranded a few times and could do nothing to fix it in the field.
Benriding

Postby danketchpel » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:20 am

I just picked up a 2017 500 RR-S that I will be using for dual sport.

I think it will work out well for it. I really like the separate oil for the engine/trans and the service intervals are about 2x longer than the KTM. The oil filter on these engines is huge.

The primary mods I will be doing are;

4 gal IMS fuel tank
Seat Concepts low/wide seat
Squadron Pro LED head light w/dimmer from Motominded.com (the stock headlight SUCKS)
Steel oil pump gears
Upgraded hand guards, probably with integrated LED turnsignals
Clean up the rear with LED turnsignals, high mount plate, etc.
Mount the Scott's steering dampener I have
Rear tail rack from Nomadic
Change to more dual sport oriented tires

After that the rest will come along as needed, change final drive gearing, crash protection stuff, Garmin GPS hard wiring, etc.
danketchpel

Postby dslbrnr » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:37 pm

Very happy with my 500RS. No problems to speak of yet 900 miles.

We have the same problems if not worse in CA trying to plate a dirt bike unless you have a connection at DMV.
2016 500RS, Enduro Engineering Skid plate, Cycra Handguards, Cleaned Up Tail Section, 13T/50T Gearing, IMS 3.1 Gal Fuel Tank
dslbrnr

Postby McQuervo » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:17 pm

Might have a solution for several of you as I own a home in Baja and have my 500RS plated via a South Dakota plate. Reach out to Click-On (Rosarita Beach) and ask about the Non-Resident South Dakota plate process. My bike was bought new- (I live primarily in Carlsbad, CA with a house in Bajamar, BC). The sales tax was 4% and the registration roughly $35.00, no stinking Emission issues and no, I do NOT own a home in South Dakota.

Always wondered why so many Gringos were driving around Baja with a South Dakota plate, I now know why.

Reach out to Jackie at Click-On, she may be able to set it up via US Mail.

Good luck!
McQuervo

Postby ricoyam » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:24 pm

McQuervo wrote:Might have a solution for several of you as I own a home in Baja and have my 500RS plated via a South Dakota plate. Reach out to Click-On (Rosarita Beach) and ask about the Non-Resident South Dakota plate process. My bike was bought new- (I live primarily in Carlsbad, CA with a house in Bajamar, BC). The sales tax was 4% and the registration roughly $35.00, no stinking Emission issues and no, I do NOT own a home in South Dakota.

Always wondered why so many Gringos were driving around Baja with a South Dakota plate, I now know why.

Reach out to Jackie at Click-On, she may be able to set it up via US Mail.

Good luck!

The RS series is 50 state legal. No reason to jump hoops to license one.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Next

Return to General Discussions & Announcements