Beta Dual Sport

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Re: Beta Dual Sport

Postby danketchpel » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:07 pm

danketchpel wrote:I just picked up a 2017 500 RR-S that I will be using for dual sport.

I think it will work out well for it. I really like the separate oil for the engine/trans and the service intervals are about 2x longer than the KTM. The oil filter on these engines is huge.

The primary mods I will be doing are;

4 gal IMS fuel tank
Seat Concepts low/wide seat
Squadron Pro LED head light w/dimmer from Motominded.com (the stock headlight SUCKS)
Steel oil pump gears
Upgraded hand guards, probably with integrated LED turnsignals
Clean up the rear with LED turnsignals, high mount plate, etc.
Mount the Scott's steering dampener I have
Rear tail rack from Nomadic
Change to more dual sport oriented tires

After that the rest will come along as needed, change final drive gearing, crash protection stuff, Garmin GPS hard wiring, etc.

Here's an update.

I have the 4 gal tank installed, the low/wide SC seat, the Squandron Pro mounted, the steel oil pump gears installed and the rear cleaned up with matching LED front turnsignals. I decided not to go with integrated signals in the hand guards to give me more options. I currently have D606 tires F&R installed. I wanted to start out with something I knew well and then progress from there.

I'm still waiting on the Nomadic tail rack to show up. I think I've narrowed the hand guards down to Cycras and will probably use the BRP sub mount for the Scott's dampener with BRP integrated hand guard mounts.

A couple pix

danketchpel

Postby HRRacing » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:42 am

That's pretty sweet. That's my dream DS set-up. Where you located?
HRRacing

Postby Glenn » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:57 am

That seat looks great. Actually the whole rig is a beauty. Please keep us in the loop on updates and how it goes as an adventure bike
Cheers
Glenn

Postby danketchpel » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:19 pm

Thanks guys.

I'm in the Ventura County area of SoCal.

I'm working on proper handguard choice next along with a Scott's stablizer mount and maybe a G2 throttle tamer. When I get that all decided I plan to install grip heaters under a pair of ProGrip DS gel grips.

I'm thinking to go with Cycra Beta branded guards but am unsure about under or over bar mount for the stablizer. The under bar mount is complicated and expensive. I already have the Scott's unit from my last bike. I want to use the top bar integrated mount for the inside guard mounts.

The seat is a big improvement. It's not "quite" as comfy as some of the taller SC seats I've sat on due to the limited amount of foam space available in the low model. But I'm willing to compromise to get that 1" lower seat height.
danketchpel

Postby HRRacing » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:58 pm

I've never used the under bar mount, but I personally like the above bar mount for my Scotts on my 250RR. Mounts easy.

Those Pro Grip gel DS grips are sweet. I have them on my current DS. Seat comfort is a big deal. I did a 200+ mile DS day trip last summer and my butt was killing me. I see why some riders spend big $ for custom seats.

Hoping to upgrade to a Beta DS this year. No hurry now. I'm surrounded by snow and ice. Probably won't be able to even think about riding until April or May. Even then could be a stretch.
HRRacing

Postby Glenn » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:08 pm

G2 throttle tamer is a good product. I find it is just right for the tighter stuff and steep descents.
Glenn

Postby Glenn » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:12 pm

I have also valued the after market clutch case protector.- IMHO the rear brake lever is too close and sharp-the dremel smoothed out the inner levers teeth. Another improvement is the aftermarket rear brake clevis. Much better action. Both adds were good value for money.

Cheers.
Glenn

Postby danketchpel » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:20 pm

Glenn,

Which cam did you use in the G2?

It looks like they only offer 1 cam (K400 I think) for the RS and I'd like to get the kit with all 3 cams so I can decide which is best for me. I'm also kicking around machining my own cam to fit their tube. When I look at the cam profile it does not seem very progressive, it's more like 2 stage.

This image shows the area I think I might want to make more progressive.

Also, what aftermarket brake clevis, I'm not aware of that. I agree the rear brake feel at the lever could be improved a bit. It's OK, but not top notch.
danketchpel

Postby danketchpel » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:31 pm

I got the rear tail rack from Nomadic (http://www.nomadic-racks.com/index.php?option=com_rokecwid&Itemid=62#!/2010-2017-BETA-RS-RR-S-DUAL-SPORT-RACK-KIT/p/12000059/category=21227040) installed today. It's a pretty nice rack, well made and fits pretty good. You do have to loosen the muffler and pull it away some to get clearance but you don't have to completely remove it. Be careful not to cross thread the threaded inserts in the plastic subframe, it seems pretty easy to do.

It seems the plastic subframe is the weak link in the system. Nomadic states a 20 lb limit and I'd probably hold back from that some, more like 15 lbs if you're riding rough terrain. I want to pull the fender and side panels off so I can study the subframe to see if it can be beefed up on that area.

Here's some pix of it. My Wolfman Peak Tailbag fits on quite nicely, I just don't have a good photo of it yet.

danketchpel

Postby mtnmanseth » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:12 pm

McQuervo wrote:Might have a solution for several of you as I own a home in Baja and have my 500RS plated via a South Dakota plate. Reach out to Click-On (Rosarita Beach) and ask about the Non-Resident South Dakota plate process. My bike was bought new- (I live primarily in Carlsbad, CA with a house in Bajamar, BC).

PM'ed you re: Baja trips...
2017 Beta 300RR Race
2014 Beta 498RR
2005 GasGas EC300
mtnmanseth

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions & Announcements