New Beta Observations

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

New Beta Observations

Postby GMP » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:42 am

I just want to say, going through this bike front to rear and setting it up, its the best built, highest quality off road motorcycle that I have ever layed a wrench on. Everything fits perfect, lines up, no BS. The detailing is great, and its super easy to work on. Not much to complain about in the shop thats for sure. Only the spark plug access is a bit tough, thats it. Ergos are like it was custom made for my 5'9" frame. Can't wait to hit the woods this weekend!
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Re: New Beta Observations

Postby Boom Boom » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:48 am

I have owned many trials bikes over the years with most of them being Beta. IMHO the Beta was always a step ahead of the others with fit / finish / overall quality.
It does not surprise me at all that the Beta enduro bike would be well sorted out.
2012 Beta EVO 300ss
2011 Gas Gas 300ec
Boom Boom

Postby flybars » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:40 pm

That's great news. I just sent the down payment on a '14 300rr sight unseen. And at 5' 6" It probly has the lowest seat height out there. Frank at Franks Motor Bikes is sending the suspension out to Les to do his majic before I pick the bike up.
I can hardly wait to see how U like the 300 Glen?
'14 300rr
flybars

Postby GMP » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:06 am

Bob,

Its your best option in current new bikes. Sherco is supposed to be low too, but either a $9200 four stroke or wait for a BRAND NEW design two stroke with electronic PV. The Beta motor is nothing exotic, just very well implemented current tech. The bike is close to an old gen GG in height, but not weight! This is a BIG deal to a short guy, as your at a greater lean angle when that foot finally touches down on an off camber! Feels short too, just riding around the hood, I get the impression it going to turn on a dime. I already resprung the rear to a 5.2, but your '14 will come with a 5.2. I just greased up the seals and wipers on the Zoke 48s, but they have the SKF stuff that seems to move a lot easier initially than the seals on new GG Zoke 48s. After a few hours I'll have an idea what if any changes are needed and tear them down. I know I'll reduce the preload a little, stock .42 springs should be perfect as the bike is so much lighter. I'm almost ready to go, all I need is to add a set of Scorpion grills to Steve's rad braces. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

I have never really been a 300 guy, rode 250s since swithcing from a KTM300 years ago. Trust me I kicked this one around in my head a lot, and considering my currrent and future use, as well as recommendations from others, plus the fact that I wanted the Zoke forks, I went 300. This one feels a little different from my limited street ride, no real hit or big blast off idle, smooth. Between the PV adjustment, map select(added switch), G2 throttle, jetting, and gearing, I'm sure I can find an acceptable combination. Plus, time to try something different anyway. Anything more would just be speculation, time to ride!
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Calgarytrev » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:45 am

Hey Glenn trev here, I'm selling my Nambo and funny you went 300 because I just went back to the 250 and love it but I can't get the suspension I want on the 250 beta so was looking for feedback on the beta 300 compared to the gasser. I'm such a better climber with the 250 top end on the Nambo and don't want to go back to fighting the big 300 after 3 hours of riding but I also don't want the Sachs suspension. How do you compare the 12 gasser to the 300 beta? Does it feel like a handful??
Calgarytrev

Postby GMP » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:40 am

HaHa Trev you shed the nambo! Your logic is exactly like mine, had to have the Zoke 48s. I'll let you know this weekend as I have not had it in the woods yet. Spending this week getting it all set up. Can't do the A/B climb off the road without full armor. I did ride it on the street for a bit, and while strong its very linear and not obnoxious off idle. You have the PV and CDI map for tuning, and I added a G2 throttle. The other thing is the bike is small and a lot lighter than a GG, so the confidence factor is higher for me before I even hit the start button. Everyone with a Beta 300 has said its not like the GG or KTM, so I took the chance. We will soon see for sure. It can always be made into a 250 like a GG if you want.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Calgarytrev » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:53 am

Roger that Glenn I look forward to the details. I'm going beta for sure just have to sell the Nambo first and ya I thought better this time around for my forum name! This is what I go by on every other forum I'm on so ill go with it here. I better buy one in the next couple months though we gotta get the post counts on the rise to get the word out about the new forum!!
Calgarytrev

Postby flybars » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:56 pm

It'll be great to have U on here Trev. Arminhammer and Hawkeye said that the beta 300 is easier to ride than other 300's and has a 250ish feel to it. That sounds perfect to me.
'14 300rr
flybars

Postby GMP » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:19 pm

Like Hawkeye said over on GGRC awhile ago, its an easy bike to own. Maintenance is fast and easy. Filter, trans oil, carb access, very easy. More riding, less wrenching. That's a big plus for me as well.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby GMP » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:22 pm

Here is a link to pics of my bike. Rode it today first time, in my local nasty rocky trails. I'll post in ride reports, but I will say here I don't miss my GGs one bit!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7i1ymqco8cf3v1l/OYhZ1TQiur
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Next

Return to General Discussions & Announcements