Jarvis running Rekluse??

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Jarvis running Rekluse??

Postby aj_mariner » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:38 pm

He just released his vid of the first bit of 2017 Sea to Sky mountain race. In the last 15 min he take a fall and breaks his clutch bracket. He keeps going at different speeds but the bike sounds good even tho he slowed down a lot in one spot. I’ve always wondered how he was able to tractor at such low rpm a couple times but the clutch being unusable till he taped it up made me think he’s running Rekluse? Thoughts?
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Re: Jarvis running Rekluse??

Postby jacob429 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:04 pm

Not a chance. I think I remember seeing an interview where he was asked about the recluse. But the problem with the recluse is it takes away so much feedback it makes a lot of the trials type maneuvers that Jarvis performs regularly nearly impossible to do consistently. I couldn't stand the recluse for this reason but it's pretty nice in some situations. Hill climb recoveries are a lot more difficult with the recluse, and believe it or not you can still stall it on a hill climb, at least with the one I rode which I don't think was the full kit with basket and all. It also seems to rob power, maybe because the clutch is slipping all the time.

Plus if you watch some of Jarvis helmet can footage you'll see him stall the bike sometimes. I have no doubt he and some of the pros have tried them and maybe even some use them for certain races. I've also heard Jarvis just picks up a Husky from a local dealer when he goes to an event and does some basics like tires and mousse, jetting tweak, hand guards, and calls it good. For bigger events like Erzberg his bike is a bit more built than that.
jacob429

Postby aj_mariner » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:03 pm

Yup...he did stall it a couple times in the vid. But if the Rekluse can still stall then I don’t know.
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:17 am

No pros use an auto clutch for extreme... Well the smallest amount from what I’ve seen yet.They do use the manual clutch from rekluse and the cover. You lose too much control going up and down with auto. Even some times going down hill for ex. In steep technical in gear dead engine gives more control and less effort than having to hold a left hand brake more constantly. Watch lots of extreme enduro racing and see what comes up. This has come up for years nowOn different threads on different sites. If you find some using auto list them up.. for extreme enduro it’s super rare for any pros using auto. The top extreme enduro riders are almost always top trials guys too. Top trials guys don’t use auto clutch.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby katoom400 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:49 am

I was with Jarvis this past weekend and we were discussing this. He DOES NOT run a auto clutch. He has exceptional control over the bike via clutch, brakes and throttle. An Auto Clutch would hinder him. Guys at his level don't need them!
katoom400

Postby gr4vitas » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:04 am

I think the only place rekluses are really used is motocross / endurocross. Those about the only types of racing where an auto clutch would be beneficial to a pro. And only to keep from stalling if you go down / get hung up for some reason.

Not to say some don't use them in extreme enduro etc but I'd say its probably very rare for a pro to use them in enduro / extreme enduro. Way less clutch control and subsequently bike control with an auto clutch.

I've seen some fools claiming that he stalls all the time and that everyone in extreme enduro does / should use a rekluse and such. I've seen Jarvis legitimately stall his bike maybe a couple times out of the last like 10 2 hour long race videos. Last one was sea to sky mountain race he legit stalls it at one point, seemed like an odd stall to me too, rev's were up and it just chops out, seemed weird. Anyway it was stalled for a matter of like .2 seconds before he hit the starter and kept going, didn't even really slow down lol.
gr4vitas

Postby Goatse » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:16 am

aj_mariner wrote:He just released his vid of the first bit of 2017 Sea to Sky mountain race. In the last 15 min he take a fall and breaks his clutch bracket. He keeps going at different speeds but the bike sounds good even tho he slowed down a lot in one spot. I’ve always wondered how he was able to tractor at such low rpm a couple times but the clutch being unusable till he taped it up made me think he’s running Rekluse? Thoughts?

It's because he has a perfectly jetted, perfectly setup engine. With top level professional mechanics those things will lug to the moon (if that saying even makes sense).
Goatse

Postby katoom400 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:18 am

gr4vitas wrote:I think the only place rekluses are really used is motocross / endurocross. Those about the only types of racing where an auto clutch would be beneficial to a pro. And only to keep from stalling if you go down / get hung up for some reason.

Not to say some don't use them in extreme enduro etc but I'd say its probably very rare for a pro to use them in enduro / extreme enduro. Way less clutch control and subsequently bike control with an auto clutch.

I've seen some fools claiming that he stalls all the time and that everyone in extreme enduro does / should use a rekluse and such. I've seen Jarvis legitimately stall his bike maybe a couple times out of the last like 10 2 hour long race videos. Last one was sea to sky mountain race he legit stalls it at one point, seemed like an odd stall to me too, rev's were up and it just chops out, seemed weird. Anyway it was stalled for a matter of like .2 seconds before he hit the starter and kept going, didn't even really slow down lol.

He kills the bike on purpose for steep downhills, so he can dab with his right foot. He feathers the clutch just enough so it doesn't light back up!
katoom400

Postby aj_mariner » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:24 pm

For sure, it is crazy how low his bike can go without stalling. And I had always thought he had crazy clutch skills to take it to that point to maintain traction without stalling. But when his clutch busted, and he had a spot where the rpms were really low, and the bike sounded the exact same (like he was feathering the clutch) it made me rethink.
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Postby jacob429 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:37 pm

You can really lug a 300 low with some clutch feathering too. I read somewhere that when Jarvis picks up a bike for a race he just riches the mid range (needle) a tad and doesn't do much else to the jetting. Who knows though. The richer mixture will make it feel more controllable to lug very low tho.
jacob429

Next

Return to General Discussions & Announcements