Best “Adventure” dirt bike potential; 430,480 or 500 rrs?

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Best “Adventure” dirt bike potential; 430,480 or 500 rrs?

Postby cthurston » Sun May 31, 2020 5:29 am

I moved up to North Central NH and decided to sell my 300 rr because of the lack of local riding. But we do have really good Dual Sport Adventure camping riding potential throughout NE. Im curious about the bigger bore four strokes and the potential to do a 2-4 day adventure ride with light camping gear and than be able to change the wheel sets or just gearing out, for those days when I do turkey runs or general dirt riding and I want a more dirt orientated set up.
I understand it doesn't have a cush drive and its not a CRF450l, but I like the fact that its lighter and more dirt nimble when desired.
Has anyone set their big bore Beta up for this type of “Unicorn” type riding and what displacement offers the best all around potential?
Interstate riding at around 70 mph is all that would be needed on that spectrum.
Also what rack systems have you used and is their any subframe support mods out there?
Thanks!
cthurston

Re: Best “Adventure” dirt bike potential; 430,480 or 500 rrs

Postby NZMarkb » Sun May 31, 2020 1:55 pm

I’ve ridden the new 480, with a seat concepts seat and big tank it’d be a great lightweight adventure bike
Good luck and keep us updated if you go down that road
If your not willing to stand behind our troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb

Postby cthurston » Sun May 31, 2020 5:53 pm

I still have a few months before I pop on the right bike. Its good to know that you liked the 480. I have ridden the 430 off road for a short spin and it was awesome, but probably not enough to keep me happy when loaded on the road?
cthurston

Postby Lonesome Dave » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:55 am

Loaded, I think that's the problem. We were just talking about it yesterday on a ride. And, please correct me if I'm wrong. It's the sub-frame. You can bolt on side racks, but will the plastic sub-frame hold a bunch of camping gear, clothes, food, stove, and all of the bumps that come along. That's what I'd be worried about.
Older - Wiser - Faster !
Lonesome Dave

Return to General Discussions & Announcements