Beta Dual sports

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Beta Dual sports

Postby Domino » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:09 pm

Hello, I’m new here and interested in learning more about Beta’s dual sports bikes. I have always ridden two strokes off road and the few times I have ridden four strokes I have been underwhelmed. A friend of mine decided to go dual sport to allow him more freedom to his riding and he makes a convincing case. So I am considering going down that path.

So looking at Beta’s line of street legal bikes they are very similar on paper in terms of dimensions. When we were talking about bikes we discussed how little difference there was with regards to weight between the smallest displacement and the largest. So the question really became “ for a couple pounds difference why would you go with a 350 over a 500”? Obviously engine characteristics play a role in how the bike rides and feels. Which brings me here. I know very little about these bikes and hoped the community could educate me on the different models.
Domino

Re: Beta Dual sports

Postby pscook » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:05 pm

I had a great conversation with a long term Beta owner, and have read many comparisons online to validate the info that I received. Here's what I have learned:
The 350 is "square" so it likes to rev. Not a lot of grunt, but good to great mid to top end.
The 390 is a stroked 350, so it likes to lug a bit more than the 350. Still spins up, but not as "racy" as the 350. The 390 seems to be the stepping off point for 200 two stroke/250 four stroke riders with the single track mind.
The 430 is square (bored 390), so it likes to rev, but with a bit more grunt than the 390, more mid as well. Folks (like me) appreciate the usability of the engine compared to, say, a modern-ish 450 (too much grunt for single track, and too heavy to turn quickly). I picked up a 430 as I wanted something easier than the WR450 I had for light dual sport, but more juice than the WB165 that I just sold (simplifying to a single bike).
The 480/500 is a stroked 430, so it's got the most grunt and heaviest crank/mass. The open trail/desert weapon. LOTS of motor without being overwhelming. Comparable to the 500EXC but "lighter" feeling on the trails.

I have ridden my 2016 430RS exactly 1.7 hours before I ended my season with a trio of broken toes (okay, two months to recover, but still), and I will say that I LOVE the 430 compared to the bikes I have owned and ridden. I owned a consecutive pair of GasGas 300s (2002 and 2011), a WR426, YZ426/444 (with WR transmission, a bit of a mutt), a 2005 WR450 for Dual Sport, a WB165 (Husqvarna WR125 with a big bore), a couple of XR250s. I have ridden a lot of bikes trying to find the Goldilocks bike, and I believe that the 430 is it for my needs.

Note that the four strokes come with a composite/plastic subframe, so you will want to take that into consideration for packing gear on a DS adventure. I haven't purchased a tail rack yet, but there are a couple of decent options (as far as I can tell).
pscook

Re: Beta Dual sports

Postby algs911 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:41 pm

I'm 50, solid B rider, 200 pounds naked, 6' tall. I raced a KTM 200 for over a decade. THE first new bike I ever bought was my 2020 Beta 390 RR-S. I brought her home 2 months ago. Now, I don't race any longer, but I LOVE the super tight, technical stuff. I have no desire to ride this thing on the street, but I do intend to do a few organized dual sport rides. The 390 is my only dirt bike.

I chose the 390 because it DOES feel lighter than the 430 or 500 and is, essentially, a torquey 350. If I were doing a lot of highway riding I'd have gone for the 500. So, for me, I'm LOVING my 390. It's a perfect blend of power and doesn't scare the crap out of me.

Good problem to have friend!

Al
algs911

Return to General Discussions & Announcements