Can't decide!

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Can't decide!

Postby magconpres » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:19 pm

Well, I'm looking for new bike and have been eyeing the Betas for a few years now.
A bit about me and my riding.
5'9" and 175lbs. 30" inseam (at least that's the pants I buy).
53 years old. Been riding bikes my whole adult life, but starting dirt bike riding at 30. Did a lot of mtn biking before that.
Came in 2nd in the 50 Amateur class is my local GP series (OMRA) a few rears ago on an 04 GasGas EC300. I would have had first, but they cancelled the last race.
Overall in pretty good shape and exercise regularly.

The GasGas is lowered about 1" using a lowering link and sliding the forks up a bit. I can reach the ground with both balls of my feet with boots on.

I mostly ride woods in the NW. I used to ride some trials, but was never great.

My other bikes are an Africa Twin that I do take off road (mostly long abandoned two track, no true single track or OHV trails) and a Husky FE501 S for dual sport riding.

My son recently got back into riding, so he's on the GasGas and I'm riding the Husky in the woods, which is OK, but not great.

For a while I was torn between the 300RR and the XT. The reason I was drawn to the XT was mostly the weight and the frame size. I would like to do some harder riding with my son and the smaller bike would be easier. Since there are no XTs available, I put a deposit on 2021 and was going to decide when it arrived in July....except that now it's going to be September, and I don't think I want to wait. So I started considering getting a 300 RR and putting in a lowering kit (an actually internals kit, not just a link).

I had a number of reservations about the XT anyway (higher speed mostly), so I'm not torn up on trying to make an RR work for me.

Then I started looking at the 200RR. It's a bit lighter and has a shorter wheelbase than the 300 (according to a video I saw...haven't checked the factory specs) so should turn a bit tighter in the really tight stuff. But, I've never had a 200 2 stroke. I came off a 250 4 stroke when I got the GasGas. The GG has no real hit and I run a slow throttle. Plus the GG is super lug able (though I still stall it at times).

So, I'm stuck between getting the bike that probably allows me to be a bit lazier and one that is a bit lighter and won't tire me out as fast and maybe allow me to ride harder terrain. I'm ready to buy in about a week (just need to close on a refi for my home). The local dealer has both in stock (2020 models).

I'm not opposed to investing a bit in either bike beyond the purchase and would consider a Rekluse in addition to suspension work.

If it matters, the GG isn't going anywhere, but to be honest, it's a bit long in the tooth and having ridden friends' bikes that are 15 years younger and I can feel its age. So I'll likely just give it to my son...though it will stay in my garage ;-)

Thanks for your input.
magconpres

Re: Can't decide!

Postby aj_mariner » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:01 pm

Get something that you can grow into. The 300 will take a bit to get used to, but will challenge you in a good way and have plenty of power when you just want to ride a gear higher. I would much rather have a bike to tame. It will develop your skills faster
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Postby magconpres » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:36 pm

Funny, I think the 200 is the "bike to grow into" because it would require more aggresive riding and clutch work over the 300.
I can get away with being lazy on the 300 I have now.
magconpres

Postby aj_mariner » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:08 pm

I’d rather have all the power I need in 1/4 turn of the throttle, and tame it with clutch work. There’s a good chance the 200 will inhibit
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Postby StoneyWV » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:37 am

Owning the 200RR, I can assure you that while you loose some low end grunt due to the size of the motor when you decide you want power and ring out that engine it will give you far more than you would ever need. The only notice I see coming from the 250 FX 4 stroke fuel injection is the ability to just turn the throttle when climbing a hill, on the 200 you need to be in the proper gear to get what's available from the motor. If someone gave me the 300rr I would probably never get on it. I'll take a lighter more nimble feeling bike all day over some extra power for the terrain I ride.
StoneyWV

Postby fenderworks » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:32 pm

What did you decide? what did you get?
fenderworks
fenderworks

Return to General Discussions & Announcements