Any Suggestions?

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Any Suggestions?

Postby webmaster » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:49 am

Hi All,

In the coming weeks I will be moving this discussion forum off to a new hosting/server.

I will also be updating the software and have been considering shifting to a better bulletin board.

Is there anything you would like to see in terms of the environment and capabilities here?

The software I am looking at is called xenforo. It has a photo gallery etc

My thanks to all those who play so well together here. I have had to do zero moderation over the last couple of years. And I do mean *zero*!!!

Thanks Again
Jeff
Webmaster
Beta Riders Club
webmaster
Site Admin

Re: Any Suggestions?

Postby mtdirtbag » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:23 pm

No suggestions, but I wanted express my appreciation for the forum. It's one of my favorites due to just what you described in regards to members posting in an adult manner. Thanks again, Jeff
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby hooter » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:02 pm

Echoing comments from mtdirtbag - this forum has been really helpful and has saved me so much time and money. Thank you for running it!

XenForo is an excellent software platform. I'm also on ADVRider which uses XenForo, it's pretty much the best forum platform I have used in my limited experience.
hooter

Postby webmaster » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:45 pm

Thanks guys.

I am probably jinxing it, but this forum has been running without any moderators since it fired up. To say there are plenty of adults in the room is an understatement...

Thanks Again
Jeff
Webmaster
Beta Riders Club
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby Johnny Depp » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:13 pm

Thanks for what you've been doing. Traffic has gotten slow here. Perhaps bringing other brands to the forum would help?
It seems like posting photos here is not as friendly as it could be.
Johnny Depp

Postby DaddyTJ » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:36 pm

Beta riders are the best people!
2017 Beta 300 RR
2015 Beta 300 RR
2008 KTM 300 XC-W Bye Bye
2010 Husaberg 450 FE Bye Bye
DaddyTJ

Postby webmaster » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:47 pm

Thanks guys.

I have been a little sidetracked. I was laid off after working for 21 years at one company.. I now have some contract work - which has been keeping me a bit too busy. I am an electrical engineer whose odometer just rolled over 60.... :-)

I do intend to move the site over to Xenforo - which will be a much more full featured discussion forum. I will also be adding advertising for dealers/vendors. Only because my experience is that it helps the community overall - not because I need money. I grew up believing the internet, like the air we breath, should belong to everyone. And access to it shouldn't cost a small dealer a not so small fortune to get some visibility on.

The way I dealt with things on another site I run is that if a dealer asks to put up an advert - I put it up for them. If they want to donate to keep things going - fine... If not, that's fine too... It keeps the whole community healthier if they can get visibility and contribute without worrying about being on someone else's turf...

By the way, this website has been up since July of 2013 and I make *zero* off of it. I put it together for a friend who bought a beta several years ago and was *very* happy with it.

jeff
Webmaster
Beta Riders Club
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby mtdirtbag » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:05 pm

Kudos to you Jeff and a very heartfelt thank you!
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Return to General Discussions & Announcements