Sag Question ???

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Sag Question ???

Postby Yorick » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:21 am

I've been reading lots about sag and now confused :(

I understand how static and rider sag is measured. But are they both altered by bashing the spring preload ring with a hammer and drift ?

If so, one will change the other surely ?

So which is more important ? I'm a bit of a salad dodger, so my extra weight will make a difference surely ?

Thanks in advance...
Beta X-Trainer
GSXR1000
Yorick

Re: Sag Question ???

Postby Trail Rider » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:55 pm

yes, both rider and static sag are impacted when you change the shock spring compression via the ring. you should 1st check your static sag & get it close to the recommended setting. then check rider sag. the reason is if you cannot get close to the recommended rider sag it means your spring rate is not correct for your weight (with gear on). To much rider sag means you need a stiffer spring, and vice versa. there are many web sites & you tube videos on how to do it correctly.
2018 Beta 300RR
Trail Rider

Re: Sag Question ???

Postby Yorick » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:30 pm

Trail Rider wrote:yes, both rider and static sag are impacted when you change the shock spring compression via the ring. you should 1st check your static sag & get it close to the recommended setting. then check rider sag. the reason is if you cannot get close to the recommended rider sag it means your spring rate is not correct for your weight (with gear on). To much rider sag means you need a stiffer spring, and vice versa. there are many web sites & you tube videos on how to do it correctly.

Cool.
Beta X-Trainer
GSXR1000
Yorick

Return to General Discussions & Announcements