Converting from KTM...to Beta?

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Converting from KTM...to Beta?

Postby Thelonius » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:22 pm

Greetings, fellow bikers.

Been riding on and off for 35 years. Last several bikes were KTM’s...owned older exc/xcw 250-300 2t models, mostly. I have no brand loyalty to KTM.

Last bike was a 2019 300xcw tpi. The tpi took away the hit the I loved and am trying to avoid buying another tpi from any mfr. Which brings me here. I’m looking at a 200/250/300rr. But, I have some concerns. The biggest? Vibrations!

You all know the KTM 2t are smoother. Don’t lie. I want to know if there is a consensus on which of those 3 bikes vibes the least.

Second concern...I way 175lb and can ride pretty fast but I’m 47 and my brain is telling me I should slow down a little. This will also be an east TN mountain bike. I don’t love the suspension on KTMs. Always felt harsh, esp. on rocks and roots. My 2006 GasGas was super plush...almost too plush. How does the Beta compare to the KTM 2t in terms of “plushness”?

Lastly, I think the Betas are the best looking bikes out there...but I’d be a fool to buy a bike because it’s beautiful. So, please offer some honest guidance. Thank you all!
Thelonius

Re: Converting from KTM...to Beta?

Postby Johnny Depp » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:58 pm

Don't discount the joy of having a bike that looks good. Buy an RR not an RE and you'll get compliant forks. I know you're focused on vibration, but you shouldn't be. It isn't an issue.
Johnny Depp

Postby Silverfox » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:26 am

The 250 is a rocket ship and fun to ride and def has a hit!!!! Get a 300 and then get a 250 top end, you can swap back and forth then. Still be cheaper than a ktm!!!
Silverfox

Postby NZMarkb » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:34 pm

What Johnny said
Remember if you look good you are good :lol:
I’ve had KTM’s and I’d never go back
If your not willing to stand behind our troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb

Postby GuineaRoost » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:50 pm

I am a recent Beta "convert" after owning four KTM's over the past 20 years. I was pretty excited that the 2020 2Ts got a counterbalancer, after hearing the KTM folks rave about how smooth their engines were with the CB. So when I fired up my new 300 for the first time, my initial reaction was "I don't even want to know how much these things vibrated before." I was not impressed. It had been several years since I'd owned a 2T 300 (had a pair of KTMs and a Gas Gas), but from what I remembered, the Beta felt about the same.

That said, I do not notice any vibration at all when riding. Zero. I'm sure it's there, but maybe I'm concentrating on things that matter more. It's just not a factor and never was with the old KTMs and Gas Gas. I do make sure to buy threadlocker in bulk....

I can't speak to the vibration on the 200 or 250; have not ridden either.
2020 300 Race
GuineaRoost

Postby aj_mariner » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:50 pm

They are good vibes. It’s like comparing an old muscle car to a Tesla.
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Return to General Discussions & Announcements