New Guy, gonna buy a Beta

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

New Guy, gonna buy a Beta

Postby dANbOT » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:14 pm

Hey everyone, just registered.

My name is Dan, from Western Alberta Canada. I ride pretty technical steep singletrack, and mountains right at home in my back yard. Mostly slow tight tree flossing, but also some hard charging alpine climbing, and rocks. My current bike is a 2014 Gasgas XC300 that I bought new in the spring of 2015. Been a great bike, but it's time to update. I plan to buy a Beta in the spring, 300RR or a 300Xtrainer. I definitely could use lower seat height which drew me to the XT, but now that I'm researching in more detail.. I have a couple questions.
Aside from the pipe/carb stuff I knew about, I read that porting, and compression ratio differ from the RR engine? so, the cylinder is differnt? cases? My plan was to "RR" the XT engine right off the dealer floor, sounds more complicated / expensive than I had planned. I'd also hate to be disappointed in the smaller suspension. Should probably just get the RR and lower it a little?
Sorry, these are probably covered questions, but I like to have a little back and forth, VERY EXCITED to start riding a new Beta!
2021 Beta 300RR - 2014 Gasgas 300XC - 2019 Polaris 850 RMK
dANbOT

Re: New Guy, gonna buy a Beta

Postby mtdirtbag » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:34 pm

Was your GasGas lowered? I'm 5'6" and ride a 2018 Beta 300 RRRE, I do find it higher than my 2014 300 RR but manageable. I do not have any direct experience with the XT but have a couple of friends with them and they get along fine with them, I think it depends a lot on what speeds you expect the suspension to work at.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby dANbOT » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:39 am

Yes, I have lowered my last couple bikes to suit me. Up till now it's been done the "dirty" way, by raising the forks in the triples and removing shock pre-load to match. Going forward, I would be willing to properly lower my next ride.
My terrain / riding style requires me to be able to plant feet to pivot turn, paddle along to get moving in tough spots and steep hills, and just to be able to catch high-sides. I'm 5'11", but more upper body than leg.
dANbOT

Postby wwguy » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:01 am

I'm 6'2" and chose my Xtrainer back in 2016 for reasons similar to what you describe. I ride similar terrain here in central Idaho, mostly solo in remote backcountry, and wanted ability to dab and-double-dab in crux situations.

The Xtrainer engine is easily adaptable to RR-like performance by adding a proper enduro pipe (I like the FMF Gnarly) and winding out the powervalve adjuster (stock position is full in at 3.5 turns.)

But I doubt you'll like the Xtrainer's stock inexpensive and inferior suspension for the riding you describe, especially considering your current bike. I replaced mine with full enduro suspension components after my first season on it. Otherwise I would have sold it in favor of a lowered 300RR.

I really do love the Xtrainer's compact chassis (10-15% smaller than the RR) which results in significantly tighter turning radius and a very "flickable" agile feel in the nasty stuff. But even with upgraded suspension there's a bit of trade-off in handling if you're chasing full-size bikes through fast flowing whooped out terrain. But in the hill, where I prefer to ride, it's a mountain goat.

If you want the fastest most affordable path to a Beta trail bike, a lowered 300RR will due the job just fine. If you want the ideal mountain machine, and you're willing to spend some extra $$ to get it, then it's hard to beat a modified Xtrainer. There's really absolutely nothing else like it on the market these days.
wwguy

Postby dANbOT » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:10 pm

Great first hand information, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Yeah.... upgrading the XT's suspension isn't a direction I wanted to go. Sounds like a lowered RR is a better way to go for me. It's possibe the XT suspension would work for me, but since I have no way to test ride and see, it may be a gamble I don't want to take.
I appreciate any input.
dANbOT

Postby Lonesome Dave » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:20 pm

I assume Beta is still doing the BYOB program. Order the 300 on BYOB an inch or so lowered. A buddy of mine did that on his 390rr.
Older - Wiser - Faster !
Lonesome Dave

Postby wwguy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:51 pm

Lonesome Dave wrote:I assume Beta is still doing the BYOB program. Order the 300 on BYOB an inch or so lowered. A buddy of mine did that on his 390rr.

BYOB is not currently available for the two-stroke lineup.
wwguy

Postby Lotus54 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:00 pm

I really like the Xtrainer, but certainly sounds like you want the power and suspension of the RR.
So I agree with rest of just lowering it.

The Open Cartridge forks are easy to lower an inch (might need different spring)- the rear is a little more work, unless the Zeta lower spacer works for whatever damper you get.
Does Beta Canada do BYOB? I did get my Xtrainer lowered by Beta USA (and several other mods) via the BYOB. Worked really well.
Beta XTrainer 300, Electric Motion Escape ‘R’, OSSA Super Pioneer 1975, Benelli 750 sei, more
Lotus54

Postby Dr Z » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:25 pm

I put a seat concepts 1" lowered seat on my 2018 300RR and it's perfect height for me. Almost flat foot at 5'7" and 30" inseam barefoot. It has a custom lowered pan they make so it still has a great amount of foam and is super comfy. 100% better than the stock seat! You don't loose any suspension this way, but if your legs are too long you might feel cramped. I don't feel cramped with my size.
2018 300RR, SC2 Smart carb, Recluse Radius CX and left hand rear brake, IMS oversize tank, Seat Concepts low seat, rear Tubliss, oil injection deleted.
Dr Z

Postby dANbOT » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:41 pm

Awesome, thanks. Looks like their low seats for the 20/21's are 5/8" lower than stock but look very nice.
dANbOT

Next

Return to General Discussions & Announcements