Fork Alignment

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Fork Alignment

Postby the sloth » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:19 am

My 2020 Beta is the first one I've owned and I really enjoy the simplicity of the race edition. I've always been a KTM rider and I'm very familiar with those bikes and most of their quirks. Today I was remounting my KYB's after a re-valve and went through my usual procedure for aligning the forks. I noticed that if I tightened the axle nut in order to pull everything to the brake side the right side fork would bind up and not float on the axle. On KTM's that procedure always worked well. On this Beta I found that I needed to slightly loosed the axle in order to get the right fork to float and find center. Once I was certain that the forks were in line I then secured the axle. Maybe my bike is unique but I thought I'd pass this on.
By the way, if you look at the axle you'll see that about 2 inches of the axle is one dimension and then it steps down to another dimension, why doesn't KTM and Beta machine the axles with a slope instead of a square edge? It would make sliding the axle into place much easier.
the sloth

Re: Fork Alignment

Postby StoneyWV » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:18 pm

Motion Pro Alignment Tool, and. you can tighten axle first then settle it into the correct spacing with a tap on fork leg and tighten everything down and you know 100% that it's parallel.
StoneyWV

Re: Fork Alignment

Postby aj_mariner » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:37 pm

Needs the square edge to push against the bearing spacer
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Return to General Discussions & Announcements