First refuelling - running in

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

First refuelling - running in

Postby tullyhubbert » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:19 pm

Apologies if this has been asked numerous times but I did search and couldn't find anything.

Regarding my 22MY Xtrainer 300 which has an oil pump. The attachment is from the PDF owners manual supplied with the bike. Are Beta suggesting I should also be mixing oil at 100-1 in the first tank? My dealer never mentioned it and this just seems very strange to me.

I know I've only got 0.3hrs (4.2 miles) atm but I was sure the oil level in the bottle hadn't moved at all which was concerning me especially after reading the above! However I've just watched it idling in the garage and a small air bubble about 3 inches from the rubber inlet boot injection point moved round the pipe a couple of inches in a min or so, so it must be working, right?

The dealer filled the bottle with Motorex Cross Power (Not Ligui Moly) I was happy enough with that as that's what I premix in my EXC200, I realise not all 2t oils are the same but it that should be fine, right?

Any thoughts welcome, thanks.
Attachments
running in.JPG
running in.JPG (91.84 KiB) Viewed 6046 times
tullyhubbert

Re: First refuelling - running in

Postby wwguy » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:12 pm

Yes, Beta requests that you use 100:1 premix in addition to oil injection during the break-in period. This because the whole purpose of introducing OI was to be stingy with oil in order to comply with increasingly strict European emissions standards.

Beta hasn't published the OI flow rate map officially, but I remember when it was first introduced in 2015 one of their factory people was quoted in an online article stating that the oil flow rate varies between 100:1 at idle and 32:1 at wide open throttle. So you adding another 1% oil in premix temporarily changes that to 50:1 at idle and around 23:1 at wide open throttle. No new engine ever suffered from too much lubrication.
wwguy

Postby tullyhubbert » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:53 pm

Thanks wwguy, I contacted the dealer and they weren't aware of this additional premix in the first tankful, so i've added the correct amount of oil.

The whole oil pump thing messes with my head a little, I really like the idea of not having to premix and want to trust the oil pump, but part of me thinks you can't go wrong with premix. I'll run it on the pump for a while and see if my head settles :)
tullyhubbert

Postby wwguy » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:23 am

tullyhubbert wrote:The whole oil pump thing messes with my head a little, I really like the idea of not having to premix and want to trust the oil pump, but part of me thinks you can't go wrong with premix. I'll run it on the pump for a while and see if my head settles :)

There's nothing wrong with your head. Beta's iteration of oil injection was introduced solely to comply with increasingly strict European regulatory emissions standards. Rider convenience of not having to pre-mix oil and gas anymore is just a peripheral benefit. It's no mystery why the more expensive Race Edition models still use premix, or why none of the race pros are using oil injection. I'm no racer, but removed OI from my 2016 Xtrainer shortly after I bought it.

If interested, see my discussion of OI pros and cons in this post over on another Beta forum.
wwguy

Postby fenderworks » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:09 pm

Tully
like WWGUY said, add the extra oil for first tank, is just for breaking the engine in.
as far as oil injection, i have had no issues in the 1100 miles, 65 hours, i really like how it works. xtrainer hardly uses any oil.
as long as the oil injection works, i will keep it. if it fails.....bummer

p.s. man, i really like my xtrainer
fenderworks
fenderworks

Postby oldman » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:55 pm

When I sold my 2015 Xtrainer with 435hrs on its clock I had zero oil injection problems.
Current rides, 21 Beta 200RR, 19 Beta 500rrs, 01 Honda 200r, 99 GasGas TXT321, 82 Yamaha YZ490, 83 Yamaha YZ250, 59 Harley Davidson ST165,
Past rides to long to list.
oldman

Postby fenderworks » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:52 pm

oldman,

wow, thats fantastic...hope i can get that on mine.....i think oil injection is a great system.
fenderworks
fenderworks

Postby tullyhubbert » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:08 am

In other probably uninteresting news!

In the 20-21MY user manual 10W40 transmission oil is recommended along with 5W folk oil, Motul being the preferred flavour.

While I was waiting on delivery I downloaded the available 22MY user manual, Liqui Moly is now the preferred flavour, 10W50 transmission oil and 15W fork oil. However I downloaded another usual manual today which must be updated as 10W40 is now recommended again along with 15W fork oil. 

Thought the change might be because of the new clutch system but it's changed back again apparently. What rating of oil do you guys use, 10W40 I'd think?

I'm going to run the oil injection for a while and see what I think .... sure what could go wrong :D
tullyhubbert

Postby wwguy » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:18 pm

tullyhubbert wrote:What rating of oil do you guys use, 10W40 I'd think?

300+ hours running AMSOIL Dirt 10W-40 and it's still working great for me. I used to change oil every 20 hours, but it's been so clean that I've extended intervals to 30 hours. Still seems like I'm throwing good oil away, but then again, oil is cheap in the big scheme of dirt bile riding things...

tullyhubbert wrote:I'm going to run the oil injection for a while and see what I think .... sure what could go wrong :D

Speaking of oil being cheap... again, the only reason Beta introduced OI was to reduce emissions by running less oil through the engine. Sure, OI system failure is rare on Beta bikes, but it does happen occasionally. And when it happens the results are usually catastrophic (i.e. piston seizure etc.) and it occurs on the trail, not in the garage on a rainy weekend. The risk of OI system failure is 100% avoidable by running simple premix, and engine performance, longevity, and reliability will be increased by doing so.

To be clear (arguments are welcome here) there's nothing good for the bike in running OI. Just regulatory compliance for Beta, and convenience for riders who enjoy the laziness in not having to premix gas and oil.
wwguy

Postby tullyhubbert » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:22 pm

wwguy wrote:
tullyhubbert wrote:There's nothing wrong with your head. Beta's iteration of oil injection was introduced solely to comply with increasingly strict European regulatory emissions standards. Rider convenience of not having to pre-mix oil and gas anymore is just a peripheral benefit. It's no mystery why the more expensive Race Edition models still use premix, or why none of the race pros are using oil injection. I'm no racer, but removed OI from my 2016 Xtrainer shortly after I bought it.

If interested, see my discussion of OI pros and cons in this post over on another Beta forum.

Well I got out yesterday afternoon for the first time, 1.7hrs on the bike. As fenderworks said the bike hardly used any oil (Though I've 1% premix in the tank too) If I tilt the bike to the right the level goes down a little more, bike supplied with tank full to the very top when level/side stand. Not sure how much petrol I got through, why are the tanks flipin black anyway? Anyhow I'm not riding hard, just pootling about running in and tbh I don't ride particularly hard most of the time.

I'd rather it was using some more oil tbh, I've a feeling I'm going to be converting to premix after 3hrs and first oil change. Until then I'll also run 1% premix. There's a kit I know but it can probably be done on the cheap too I imagine? Block of injection point, unplug pump, remove wire (TPS feedback perhaps)

If anyone is interested this was the first run.
https://youtu.be/Z71Eze9m9hQ
https://youtu.be/UP8PAaBED08

I'm delighted with the bike so far, I've only ever ridden my EXC200 and the bottom end grunt in the Beta is impressive, it's also so much more manageable for this 5'9" ish shortie.
tullyhubbert

Next

Return to General Discussions & Announcements