Best Pads and Rotors?

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Best Pads and Rotors?

Postby Yorick » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:39 am

I'm fed up with both discs and rotors glazing over and losing performance. Every few rides I need to attack them with emery cloth.

I live on a remote dry island (Lanzarote) where it never rains so don't need multi purpose pads and disks. Not much fast stuff, but lots of long slow descents when we climb the volcanoes.

Waddya reckon ?

Thanks in advance
Beta X-Trainer
GSXR1000
Yorick

Re: Best Pads and Rotors?

Postby pscook » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:14 am

If you are guaranteed dry, then EBC Red pads (the "X" designation). They effectively dissolve in wet conditions, but are pretty good in dry.

Instead of emery cloth, you might want to try a rotor hone to clean your rotors. It's possible that you have remaining contamination from the emery cloth or previous pads that's prohibiting your current pads from laying down a good layer of material.
pscook

Postby Yorick » Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:07 pm

pscook wrote:If you are guaranteed dry, then EBC Red pads (the "X" designation). They effectively dissolve in wet conditions, but are pretty good in dry.

Instead of emery cloth, you might want to try a rotor hone to clean your rotors. It's possible that you have remaining contamination from the emery cloth or previous pads that's prohibiting your current pads from laying down a good layer of material.

ta :)
Beta X-Trainer
GSXR1000
Yorick

Postby pscook » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:22 am

And of course after looking at information regarding your island, I believe that the EBC X pads will do just fine in your environment:
Rain is very rare, resulting in a dry climate with an average 16 days of rainfall annually, usually between December and February.
https://www.spain-lanzarote.com/en/discover/weather.html

Although it's scheduled to rain today?
pscook

Postby Yorick » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:10 pm

pscook wrote:And of course after looking at information regarding your island, I believe that the EBC X pads will do just fine in your environment:
Rain is very rare, resulting in a dry climate with an average 16 days of rainfall annually, usually between December and February.
https://www.spain-lanzarote.com/en/discover/weather.html

Although it's scheduled to rain today?

It rained for 30 seconds. That's it for the next few months ;)
Beta X-Trainer
GSXR1000
Yorick

Postby Yorick » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:50 pm

I was confused by the X and red..

In Europe & USA
In Europe these pads are selected by adding the suffix TT to the part number and in the USA by adding the letter X after the FA (Freeman Automotive) series part number. EBC Carbon X or TT Brakes are coded red in paint finish and is equally happy on an ATV or a Moto X or Enduro bike and is also used in ATV Sport riding.

However we caution riders using these pads in ATV use especially on rear rotors as wear life may be shorter than sintered pads originally installed in the original unit build. With the lower price point compared to sintered, millions of riders still choose the carbon pads. For Street Enduro use such as the “Paris-Dakar” style DR bikes for road use EBC Carbon X or TT Brakes are an ideal choice, it has been R 90 approved on many of such models in Europe and is safe for road use because of its ability to work effectively when hot.
Beta X-Trainer
GSXR1000
Yorick

Postby F5 Dave » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:26 am

Well I was just interested in looking up where your island was. Scale is always hard but nice to expand ones geography.
21 XTrainer
F5 Dave

Postby Yorick » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:29 am

F5 Dave wrote:Well I was just interested in looking up where your island was. Scale is always hard but nice to expand ones geography.

It's about 35 miles long and 15 miles wide. Huge variation of terrain. We ride up and into the volcanoes and even got 100' sand dunes to play on. And the perfect climate.
Beta X-Trainer
GSXR1000
Yorick

Postby F5 Dave » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:15 pm

Stretching the throttle cables on the gixer thou must be interesting. :D
21 XTrainer
F5 Dave

Postby Yorick » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:32 pm

F5 Dave wrote:Stretching the throttle cables on the gixer thou must be interesting. :D

There are some nice roads. And it's only half hour ferry over to Fuertaventura where there are amazing roads. And only a few hours to the other larger islands :)

Beta X-Trainer
GSXR1000
Yorick

Next

Return to General Discussions & Announcements