Another What shall I buy thread

General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Another What shall I buy thread

Postby mtdirtbag » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:59 am

Posted on the Thumper Talk Beta forum, but I thought I could get a more lively discussion here even tho many probably post to both. The subject line was kind of a hook, because I've been around long enough to know I will need to ride and make a decision on my own.

A little background: I celebrated the tenth anniv. of my 7th birthday plus one this past January. I have ridden YZ250 2T's since probably the early 90's with one 96 RMX for about 2yrs. I really like my 09 and would like it even better if I could wide ratio it as I had my 99, but it's getting difficult with the increasing popularity and the resulting cost. I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam and the Beta looks to be better in the seat height department, plus the elec start would be a big benefit for a short legged guy. I have to admit one of the reasons the Beta looks better to me than KTM is the fact that most of the young guys I ride with are on Orange and have given me crap about ridding blue. In reading the different threads on both forums the majority of the discussion regarding the 250 vs the 300 is that they feel much the same, true observation? Will the added torque of the 300 make up for the snap the 250 provides? I do motocross a couple of time a year in the Oldtimers series and from what I have read either should work well in that format, anyone with a guess as to what I would miss in that venue? Take into consideration at my age there are no high flying antics, more old style MX.

For readers on the Wet Coast, I have two sons, one in the Seattle area and one in the Bellingham area. Are there any dealers that would be good to visit where I could get the opportunity to ride one or both? We have a dealer of sorts just 7 miles away in Whitefish, MT but they never have bikes on the floor and when I talked to them they did have a 300 coming in for a customer and would call me when it comes in. He mentioned riding it, but if it was my bike that I ordered I wouldn't want anybody riding it unless I was there and then it would depend on the gut feeling you get when you meet the other person.

Sorry for the long thread, but looking for all comments.

Thanks, Tom
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Re: Another What shall I buy thread

Postby Darkside » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:14 am

I think you already know what all the standard replies are so I don't really know what you hope to hear. You refer to "at my age" but don't state your age. References to older 2T's makes me guess late 40's. As you get older and sometimes lazier, you might like the 300 vs 250. I'm assuming you're looking for a 2T.
Randy
2018 390 rrs, 2014 300 rr re, 2010 ktm 450 exc
Darkside

Postby mtdirtbag » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:44 am

I made the assumption people would read the thread and offer their experiences, my fault. As far as age; my cutesy way of putting it probably went over many heads (I celebrated the tenth anniv. of my 7th birthday plus one this past January) I'm 71yo. I listed my preferred rides so that others who may have ridden like bikes and now ride Beta's would perhaps respond and give their likes and dislikes, long shot I know. I ride in NW Montana in the mountains with a large group of guys & gals, I'm probably 20 yrs older than the next oldest. What I am finding in the past couple of years is that my stamina is lacking and the YZ is wearing me out quicker, especially in the rocky/technical areas. And as to the last of your ?s, I prefer 2Ts and am to old to change.

Thanks for your reply.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby Darkside » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:29 am

71 and still riding dirt bikes! Good on you! I just turned 51 and was bitching and complaining how old I felt. Guess I'll shut up about that now. I have a KTM 300, great do all bike. I can leave it in 2nr or 3rd gear and lug around. I had an opportunity to ride a buddies KTM 200 all day this last weekend. Mostly single track trails, absolutely loved it. So light and maneuverable, had plenty of low end. I've been eyeballing a Beta or Sherco 250, but now might consider a new 200 with estart.
Randy
2018 390 rrs, 2014 300 rr re, 2010 ktm 450 exc
Darkside

Postby Beta Steve » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:03 pm

First, a little background to qualify my [long] opinion, hope I don't ruffle too many feathers... I just turned 58 years young and until very few years ago was a competitive upper level trials rider. Turns out I am too competitive for my current skill level to allow me to have the fun I used to, so let's try a go at the 'big bikes'... Back in the late seventies early eighties it was Bultaco, late eighties early 90's Beta, went to GasGas early this century and ended up with a four stroke Montesa or two at the end. Actually was the first to campaign the four stroke in the upper classes around here, for the first couple years it almost felt like I was cheating.
Fast forward to the big bikes, coincidentally I started on an '09 YZF 250. Wanted something as light as possible, due to light in my world being 60 pounds less than yours. Did a lot to it to make it woods worthy, and did very much enjoy the four stroke power. About the time I started thinking about a wide ratio box I took a hard look at how much it already cost and how many shortcomings it still had... Enter an ex national team backup bike 2011 GasGas 300. It's really true what they say, the best four stroke is a 300cc two stroke! Absolutely light years better than the Yamaha ever could be, no matter what the budget! But being a restless sort, and the GG far from 'light', the quest was on. Not wanting or willing to wait for the two stroke Sherco, and the four stroke 300i just not being enough, well four stroke, I decided to go back 20 plus years and try another Beta.
So here we are, finally, to tell about the Beta. Got it from Frank's Motorbikes in Bellevue, a suburb of Seattle. Honestly, I have bought a few new bikes in my time, and this one was by far the best set up of any! A 2013 standard 300rr, and even before my mods it's the best dirt bike I've ever had, bar none! Argue all day about how much lighter is really is than the GG over on their forum if you like, it FEELS 30 pounds lighter to me. So much more energy after an all day ride. Stock suspension, with a different set of springs and revalve, is better than most people can utilize, unless you are a fast A rider. Get the '14 race version when it comes out if you must, but I would rather, and have, put my money into protection, mostly from the byob catalogue, Moto Pro [Woodinville WA] suspension, JD jetting and some goodies from Cole at Fasstco. All this only makes a great bike better, and I think I've found a keeper. For me the 300 is better as when I'm tired and out of sorts, I just motor a gear high and lug it, no worries. And when I want to rip, it's got plenty of power. They say the 250 'feels' lighter, not to me. But whichever turns your crank, with very little work and the all important low seat height you get a bike that starts with the button absolutely every time, goes, stops, corners and feels like the best out there! The only downside I can think of is along with the low seat height comes a lower ground clearance, and a vulnerable shock link. One can be fixed for about $300 and the other, well if you're riding such rough terrain that over 12 inches of ground clearance isn't enough I suggest you learn how to ride on the rear wheel a bit more.
So in closing I invite you, next time you're in the Seattle area, to pm me and let's go for a ride. You are more than welcome to try my bike as long as I have something to follow you around on as I'm allergic to sitting around the parking lot on my day off...
Beta Steve

Postby mtdirtbag » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:22 am

GGTrials: Thanks so much for your views and real time description of how you got there. I would really like to take you up on your offer if I can find the time to make it over while there is still riding time. I would not come empty handed and would bring my YZ which is set-up for the trails. The low seat height is one of the things that would be to my advantage for those times that I need to reach the ground along with the e-start. The linkage problem is something I have had to deal with on the YZ for sometime, not sure if the RR is worse or not.

Your discussion on your competitive nature is one of the problems with growing old and having to find a better tool to help out is why I am actively considering this bike. I did not compete in a formal nature until my sons moved on to College(not that the trail rides weren't trail races!). I had done a few MX races in my early years, but soon found out when I did injure myself I put my family in a position I was not willing to live with. Then in my 60th year, I competed in the Canadian Nat'l Cross Country series in the 50 yo class and garnered a Nat'l Championship. About the time I hit 65 I finally quit trying to keep up with my young friends on our trail rides and would often turn down rides that I knew were going to be several hours of log hopping, climbs that required help to get up and so on. I just want to get back to where I feel I'm not the one holding everyone back on a ride.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Return to General Discussions & Announcements