Hunting for a bike, help?

For those who ride "feet up".

Hunting for a bike, help?

Postby lfoster729 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:47 am

I'm on the hunt for an 80cc trials bike for my boys. Anyone know of one for sale somewhere? I've been lurking craigslist all winter with no luck. Thanks for your help.
lfoster729

Re: Hunting for a bike, help?

Postby P A Rider » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:26 am

Did you do a national craigslist search ?
P A Rider

Postby lfoster729 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:58 am

Yeah, using search tempest with various zip codes close to people I know who could check the bike out for me. Unfortunately this is mostly western US where there isn't a lot of trials riding for some reason. I was pointed to the trials training center and they have two for sale. These are both big wheel 80s. Not being able to actually see them, what size kids are the big wheel 80s best suited for?
lfoster729

Postby Beta Steve » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Trials bikes are so small, are you sure you want an 80? Here's a link with some info, pictures of kids on various size trials bikes, and somewhat of an 80/125 comparison:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/578266 ... for-a-kid/

Sounds like unless the child is quite small a detuned 125 would be better. If it is small you need, there is a 2008 Gasgas Cadet 80 at a dealer in Albuquerque NM for $2600:
http://www.trialdogmotorsports.com/forsale.htm
These have 19 front and 17 rear wheels and are small.

If you have your head set on an 80 but full size is okay there are 3 Beta 80's for sale at the trialstraining center in Sequatchie TN one 2007 for $2200 and two 2005 for $1900:
http://trialstrainingcenter.com/bikes-for-sale/

Also if you need really small there are plenty of Oset electrics as well as the new Gasgas models in 12 and 16" wheel size. Not likely to find anything close to you but the internet is a great [as well as time wasting] tool. Search all the trials dealers and clubs in the country, I'm sure there are more...
Beta Steve

Postby lfoster729 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:48 pm

Yeah, I'm really not sure if I want an 80 or not, but worried it would just be too big for my youngest son. My boys are 10, 12 and 14. We have a KX85, my 14 year old is about too big for the 85 and my 10 year old is just a tiny bit too small. My buddy talked me into selling our KX65 to him this winter, knowing I was planning on getting my boys a trials bike and that my 10 year old is quickly out growing it. I have never been able to stand next to a trials bike to see how big they are. I looked into the Oset 20, but have pretty much ruled that out. I can order a brand new 80 Sr. for the same price as an Oset with LIPO batteries, I think it may be too small already and I don't want to run a generator just to charge the thing on camping trips. Actually, getting a full sized bike would work the best, if my 10 year old could play on it. Then we could all use it and I could get a long ride kit for it so they could trail ride with me on it.
lfoster729

Postby P A Rider » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:48 pm

Go to the trials training center at the end of March for the training classes and try before you buy ! My wife and I are going a few thousand mile trip but it is worth it , hope you can make it to . :D
P A Rider

Postby Beta Steve » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:11 pm

Not knowing the fellow I would still say a trip to TN from Montana, with kids and wife, would likely cost the same as a pretty nice trials bike. For sure there are closer places to try out trials bikes… Which is what I think you need to do. 250's are very popular for their smooth power, but have only really been so in our country for a few years. An older [cheaper] 280 can be easily de tuned with the addition of a flywheel weight and/or thicker head gasket. Get active online, search Gasgas Beta and Sherco importer sites for dealers within several hundred miles, make some calls and schedule a day trip.
Beta Steve

Return to Trials