2016 Xtrainer UK green laning

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

2016 Xtrainer UK green laning

Postby Angustoyou » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:02 pm

Thought I'd share my impressions of my new bike as a greenlaning tool. I'm fairly new to enduro, have been doing a few WOR Race Experience Days, and started off on a Gasgas Pampera because of my dinky legs. I've been green laning for about 6 years. The Pampera was a great intro bike to enduro, but not designed for it and not tough enough. It's broken now. I never used it on the lanes as it was a little breathless at road speeds.

The Beta seemed like exactly what I needed. Capable enough for the enduros and a bit quicker for the odd day around the Peaks or Wales but small enough and light enough to handle, with a tractable engine that's not going to get me into (too much) trouble. I did use a CCM404 on the lanes which was great but a bit big and heavy for me when the going gets technical. Massive fuel range though, it was doing over 65mpg on the lanes. I fitted an Acerbis fork fitted auxiliary fuel tank to the Beta which holds an additional 3 litres. I had to mount it backwards, in front of the clocks hanging off the bars so I'm looking over it, but it doesn't interfere at all. That comes off with 2 bolts if I leave the brackets in place for enduro use. I've added some decent hand/lever guards, a metal bash plate and some solid radiator braces.

The bike had just 3 hours on it, done in a local sand quarry on a play day and I was out with an old Honda XL 150 on the lanes so the pace was steady. I had fitted a one tooth larger front sprocket which gives a comfortable 50-60 mph cruising speed. The bikes not very happy in town, it wants to rev higher and harder but is very happy at a steady 55. I saw 74 mph, it would probably pull to 80-85 flat on the tank and screaming its little nuts off.

Handling on the road is OK, obviously speeds and cornering is restricted by the enduro tyres set at 15 psi. It's just the job around the rocky Peak district, swallowing up rock steps and giving good traction everywhere. It's well balanced and nice and light, the softish suspension is great on these lanes, and the engine is willing and responsive, if not exciting. Gear choice is largely irrelevant with a bit of clutch, which is nice and light, even geared up it pulls steadily from bugger all revs in any gear. 1st gear is still largely redundant, I only really used it on tricky steep descents and wheeling away from traffic lights of course. It still does that on its own despite the extra front tooth, so it would be rude not to really.

At higher speeds on fire trail like stuff the front still lifts really easily to mono over puddles and dips and so on. There's little point in revving hard through the gears, the pull doesn't continue through all the revs, so short shifting up through the box seems sensible, especially now I've seen the price of pistons! I reckon with nobber ability for enduro, my natural mechanical sympathy and occasional green lane use it'll be replaced at over 100 hours.

The bike went onto reserve at 79 miles and ran out completely at 93. That's including the additional 3 litres. There was an easy half litre still in the tank, but obviously it was below the level of the fuel tap straw. The 2 stroke oil light came on permanently at 75 miles, and filling it back up 40 miles later it took 200 ml, so that gives plenty of warning. I was checking it regularly after the light came on, oil was still visible in the tank with the quick release seat off when it first came on permanently, it's a shame the whole tank isn't visible to make this easy, but it's hidden behind the air box.

The seat is OK, though it is fairly soft and forgiving it's so narrow that it'll never be described as comfortable. Looking at where I sit it may be possible to remove just under an inch of foam. The possibility of being able to have both feet balls down at the same time is tempting ( tip toes each side at the mo') and the wider base this would give would probably improve its comfort, I'm loathe to mess about with it, as the Beta logo will most likely be compromised. (I know, it's a tool for a job and I'm being a tart, but it does look great). It would also mean creating quite a steep transition angle where the tank runs under the seat, which might be a literal ball ache and be a problem in the enduro environment, sliding around for cornering and so on. First proper enduro try out is next week. I guess it will come down to how often I drop it when a strong dab would have saved me, and how many times being able to paddle through with my legs would have helped. Swollen balls may not be unwelcome when I get back home either.

So, would I buy one just for greenlaning? Probably not, but then I wouldn't buy any pogo just for greenlaning. Overall the CCM is as close to perfect as I'd want, and to be honest with the quality of the WP suspension it's overkill, meaning you want to up the pace to trail unfriendly speeds to keep the fun levels up. I'd probably be best with an old TTR or CRF250L just for that. From first impressions I can see it being absolutely perfect for me for the hare and hound enduros, and the Welsh 2 day which is on the to do list for next year. As a bike for picking up and improving my enduro skills, enduro play days and doing the odd day of greenlaning, I think it's absolutely perfect. The fact that the money I don't spend on exhaust protection can go instead towards a 300RR exhaust to up the performance when it needs replacing means it's also a keeper. Top job!
Angustoyou

Return to Product Reviews