Choosing between a Beta Xtrainer or Beta RR300?

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Choosing between a Beta Xtrainer or Beta RR300?

Postby betajuice » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:37 pm

I had so many questions from guys about whether a Xtrainer or a RR300 would suit better I did a video here: https://youtu.be/FQVPihq1n-o

I'm not sure if this question would come up for anyone on this forum, but here is our take on it below....

The Xtrainer is based on the RR300 but has a detuned engine, a lower seat height, less weight, and suspension more suited to slow technical terrain. The critical part, how do they compare when riding? For the vast majority of us trail hacks, there is a lot of overlap between these bikes, unless you main do fast open riding, or are simply a very experienced aggressive rider.

HOW THE XTRAINER DIFFERS
Lower compression 11.3:1 rather than 12:1
Tighter full lock turn
More torque-friendly expansion chamber that is less exposed
Same electric start but no kickstart
Oil injection system
Seat is an inch lower
Five kg (11 pounds) lighter
Lighter Ollé suspension with slightly less travel
GoldenTyre knobbies (RR has Michelin Comp 3)

Power wise, essentially they've knocked the top end off the RR300 but I seriously wonder for the majority of riders (myself included) if this would be an issue. We all like think we are Jonny Walker, but most of us couldn't use that top end in anything but a straight line. Most us would be flat out even using the top end of the Xtrainer more than 2% on a dirt ride. It's more than that though, the Xtrainer is not as snappy, very predictable, and loves finding traction. The RR300 is good in these respects, but the Xtrainer takes it to a new level.

Handling? That five kg drop in weight and low seat height make the Xtrainer an absolute joy to ride as the tracks get tougher and slower.There is a lot of overlap with the RR300 in this respect for dirt riding in general, but certainly as the speed picks up the Xtrainer won't feel as planted and that springy suspension that works so well in hard terrain starts to bottom out when pushed hard.

Some reviews talk about the forgiving nature, of the Xtrainer... you can push it hard but that low seat height, light weight and tractable engine let you push the envelope more than normal, and the bike doesn't immediately drop you on your arse when you make a mistake.

A lot of guys complain about the suspension but for its purpose we think Beta did a fairly good job on the Xtrainer. If you do weigh more than 80kg then put in stiffer springs, as you would for most dirt bikes. But if you are ridng hard and fast enough to find the Xtrainer suspension too limiting then maybe the RR300 was the bike you should have bought.

Having said that though, there are so many interchangeable parts between the Xtrainer and RR300, and genuine Beta parts are so cheap, that it can be fun to tinker and get different results from the engine and suspension.

WOULD THE XTRAINER BE A GOOD BEGINNER'S BIKE?
A problem with the word 'trainer' in the title is a raw beginner might buy the Xtrainer as their first dirt bike. The lower seat and light weight would be be great, but you have to remember this has the same low to mid range power as any 300 two stroke and a raw beginner could get into trouble quickly. If someone already had the basic skills down from road riding, or say was a teenager who had outgrown a small bike and had good riding skills I'd say the Xtrainer could be an option. Here's a handy summary..."As a bike between Beta’s novice-friendly Alp series and racing RR machines, the Xtrainer is not a bike for an absolute newcomer. The seat height can still intimidate newer riders, and the motor is fairly potent if you get it up into the higher rev ranges. Its propensity for forgiveness is still dependent upon a rider who knows what he’s doing." - Ultimate Motorcycling

So if you deciding between an Xtrainer or a full blown two stroke enduro 300 we hope this review helps. and of course get a test ride if you can. Here are some other reviews about the Xtrainer that we felt were quite accurate from our impressions of the bike.

ULTIMATE MOTORCYCLING REVIEW
The magic of the Xtrainer is the combination of light weight and low seat height. It allows a rider to aggressively attack a difficult obstacle on the trail, knowing that he can get his boots to the ground if necessary. Plus, the Xtrainer has the exactness of a scalpel, with both wheels going where intended... For a trail bike that is so responsive in its handling when you want it to be, the Xtrainer is also extraordinarily forgiving. Again, the light weight and low center-of- gravity make you into a hero. If something goes wrong, just give the throttle a bit of a twist and point the Beta where you want to go. It bails you out, and you continue on your way, thinking about how lucky you were to not hit the dirt.

ANDREW'S GUMBY RIDER REVIEW
The first thing to say is that reviews and articles by hard core riders you might get the impression that this is some sort of soft, tame beginner's dirt bike. It's definitely not... the bike has heaps of pep. I felt like I was on a full enduro bike. More power than you need, light, fast. A fantastic feeling. Fast, power to burn, nimble between the trees . No problems. All I can say is that out of the box it felt just great, and definitely exceeded my expectations. I'm so comfortable on the X-trainer that it's kinda freaking me out how fast I want to push it. It's strange because I thought getting a detuned enduro bike, I'd tend to take it easy, but today I fanged it really hard. Judging by the soft feel of the front forks and the light soft back end (just sitting on the bike) you'd think it would bottom out but I didn't pick that at any stage. I was really amazed how hard it went.

ROON'S COMPARISON (excerpts from his comments on dbw.com.au)
XT needs to be ridden "slower" in very rocky, rutted terrain, you need to pick your lines and let the supple suspension soak up the hits which lets the wheels remain in contact with the ground giving you great traction... Uphills are similar, but a little different because as a 6 footer myself it does feel like "cheating" on the Xtrainer as it gives you so much confidence to tackle really steep and gnarly sections knowing the power delivery is so steady and that the bike is easier to control due to the lighter weight and smaller size. Your feet can get to the ground much "earlier" if it starts to go pear shaped....and when it does go wrong the XT is easy to pick up. For general single track riding there isn't much in it, the Xtrainer is just a bit more flickable than an RR300 (but about the same as an RR250), the brakes are killer, the power delivery and gearing are spot on and the suspension soaks it all up. For open fire trails I'd take the RR anytime, more stable at higher speeds, able to get on the pipe and lay some roost...

Last edited by betajuice on Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
betajuice

Re: Choosing between a Beta Xtrainer or Beta RR300?

Postby Volfy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:36 pm

Excellent review as usual. I especially like the comparison charts. I think you missed out on one crucial difference though. Xtrainer supposedly has thinner spokes to save weight on both wheels. For me as a dirt noob, I like every single thing Beta did on the Xtrainer vs. 300RR... except the thinner spokes. I understand why they did it, but I can't imagine thinner spokes making that much of a difference to be worth the weaker wheels. I know KTM did the same thing with the Freeride, but that is an even smaller package than the Xtrainer.

I've got my 300RR seat height down to 34.5" or so, with suspension travel reduced to about what the Xtrainer is stock. It still feel like a "full size" enduro and the power is still much more than what I'm comfortable with. I've screwed the power valve all the way in, which helps. Not sure how mine is now compares to the Xtrainer but I don't see the Xtrainer being much tamer.

Overall, the nuanced differences you pointed out in the vid confirmed what I thought, which was I would've been happier starting with an Xtrainer. But the opportunity to buy the 300RR presented itself and I didn't want to wait for the uber popular Xtrainer. To me, nothing beat seat time on the bike, and Iv'e already learned quite a bit riding the 300RR. It's all good.
'15 Beta 300RR
'15 KTM 250 XCF-W
Volfy

Postby wasatchcomm » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:01 am

I'm finally getting around to getting a new beta having sold the 300rr last fall
i did buy a 2016 xtrainer and did so for my wife. i know i would be more than happy on it as well, but the 16 300rr is calling my name
my dealer is making it a difficult decision as well, only 500$ difference in price...
i think resale may be better with the rr, if i ever want to sale as well

but with your videos and reviews and comparisons it makes it such a difficult decision.

i could pay cash for a used xtrainer as well, it is fitted with cf pipe guard and bark busters , and only 1.5 hours of use, for 7k

that makes it even more difficult, i could save $1300

decisions decisions

:o
2016 300RR
2016 XTrainer
wasatchcomm

Postby flybars » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:00 am

I wonder if the Xtrainer's exhaust system would cross over to the rr? That could be a cost effective way to detune the rr and tuck the exhaust in a bit.
'14 300rr
flybars

Postby betajuice » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:32 pm

Volfy wrote:...For me as a dirt noob, I like every single thing Beta did on the Xtrainer vs. 300RR... except the thinner spokes. I understand why they did it, but I can't imagine thinner spokes making that much of a difference to be worth the weaker wheels.
....Overall, the nuanced differences you pointed out in the vid confirmed what I thought, which was I would've been happier starting with an Xtrainer. But the opportunity to buy the 300RR presented itself and I didn't want to wait for the uber popular Xtrainer.....

beta's approach to weight has been interesting. at first it seemed the bikes were over engineered to be super tough but were substantially heavier than KTMs, especially with the wheels. i think they dropped close to 3kg in one year from tweaking the wheel design. when FFRC designed my suspension they said the forks and shock weigh more than the KTMs due to using more materials to beef them up (a bit too much in their opinion). but the bike sits lower so most reviews say the betas feel lighter when riding.

it will be interesting to see if beta keeps reducing weight to match the pumpkins, or retains a bit more 'unbreakability' as they stand now.

wasatchcomm wrote:...i could pay cash for a used xtrainer as well, it is fitted with cf pipe guard and bark busters , and only 1.5 hours of use, for 7k. that makes it even more difficult, i could save $1300. decisions decisions

that is a tough call! you have to wonder why someone would sell it after 1.5 hours of use. an injury? hard to believe you would ride it so little then say 'this isn't the bike for me'.

flybars wrote:I wonder if the Xtrainer's exhaust system would cross over to the rr? That could be a cost effective way to detune the rr and tuck the exhaust in a bit.

not sure if it's this forum or thumpertalk flybars, but some guys are doing lots of experimenting with swapping pipes and all sorts of engine bits. apparently there's some xtrainer gasket that only costs about $12 which you can put on the RR for some extra grunt...
betajuice

Postby wasatchcomm » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:09 am

well seeing as i have the trainer already i decided to get the 300rr so i won't have to worry about making the right decision.now i have both...
just cost me a extra $900
as always thank you for the videos and input
2016 300RR
2016 XTrainer
wasatchcomm

Postby NZMarkb » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:49 pm

Now you've given yourself a bigger problem
What bike to ride :lol: :lol: :lol:
If your not willing to stand behind our troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:15 pm

flybars wrote:I wonder if the Xtrainer's exhaust system would cross over to the rr? That could be a cost effective way to detune the rr and tuck the exhaust in a bit.

It fits.. It works good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCyGGGZOcl0
hawaiidirtrider

Postby wasatchcomm » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:43 pm

NZMarkb wrote:Now you've given yourself a bigger problem
What bike to ride :lol: :lol: :lol:

its a good problem
2016 300RR
2016 XTrainer
wasatchcomm

Postby NZMarkb » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:19 pm

Yes it is a good problem to have
I haven't seen an Xtrainer over here yet
There aren't that many Beta's here at all so when we drag them out they do attract attention
If your not willing to stand behind our troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb

Next

Return to Product Reviews