tubliss riding review

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

tubliss riding review

Postby little_wing » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:18 pm

hey all i did an install review here http://www.thumperta...install-review/

This will be my riding review

so this weekend I did a 2 day ride in northern Ontario.

the trails were everything from dry dusty beach sand to wet beach sand to rocky and roots, muddy and wet rocks to top soil and even some pavement

the ride was round 140 km on day one and 90km on the second.

on the first day I checked all four pressures and I found the low tire pressures was right were I left them a couple days before when installing them

front was 12.5 psi and rear was 10 psi

the tubliss high pressure was down. although jeff from tubliss told me this will happen via permeation . we spoke about using nitrogen instead of normal compressed air and jeff said in his extensive testing nitrogen was slower in losing air to permeation but does not completely stop it.

another thing to remember is that each time you check the pressure the tubliss losses air as you can hear the air rush out as it is under high pressure but low volume of air.

I was finding that I would lose about 5 psi each time I checked the pressure.

jeff was telling me that he runs his tubliss at 125 psi that way once he checks the pressure it will naturally drop to 100-115 range. he said that during his testing they tested the tubliss to 200 psi although 100 was the sweet spot so that's what they suggest in the instructions.

I ran with 110 psi front and back.

I found that the tubliss system was pretty much invisible, meaning I did not know any different from normal tubes. that being said I was at 12.5 psi in the front tire and 10 psi in the rear. which is what i ran with standard duty tubes

next I lowered the pressures to 10psi in the front and 8 psi in the rear. I started to notice a difference in traction. and also I noticed that in rocks/gravel about half the size of my fist I did not even feel. I also noticed that I was more stable when I pull a wheelie. I believe that this is to the fact that the tire with all the weight of the bike and me that the tire contact patch is more "square" instead of arched. it felt like the bike did not want to fall to the right or left as easy as when I was at higher pressures, while standing it up at 20 km/per hour

on the second day I lowered pressures to 8 psi in the front and 6 psi in the rear. and I found it was the same increase in traction again. but even pounding through the rocks I was not "pinging" in to the rim like with normal tubes.

to be honest at one of the gas stops on the second day I raised the pressures to 10 psi in the front and 8 psi in the rear. as the ride went from 60 km/per hour to first gear rock crawling and I found that this was the sweet spot for me and my riding. if I was as only doing low speed single track or cross training on logs and rocks then I will lower the pressures to maybe round 5 psi front and back. and maybe even lower

the tires I installed with the tubliss were the motoz tractationator S/T and I found that all of the different terrains from sand to rock to pavement I did not have any issues with stability or rolling of the sidewalls or traction.

I couple times on old gravel back roads i was doing round 80 km per hour and the tires/tubliss felt pretty balanced. no vibrations or any thing weird.

over all i am very happy with my purchase. i will say the install was different and took me 2 tries to get it right but over all i am smiling when i tell all my riding buddies about tubliss and how much i love the improvement in traction and rim protection and also not having to carry spare tubes and tire spoons.

tubliss is truly "bliss"
2015 beta 250RR
little_wing

Re: tubliss riding review

Postby GMP » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:45 am

I really like the system and havn't used a tube in years. Couple things, first, optimum pressure is tire (sidewall) dependent. After you go through some tires you will figure out what works best with what. As PSI drops sidewall life becomes a factor to consider. That said I have never had to junk a tire from a broken down sidewall alone. Second, for the inner bladder, get yourself a zero loss air chuck. I have a setup with a whip and a gauge I can use with any air source of adequate pressure. Always top off the bladder, don't just check it and loose air.

The Shinko Hybrid Cheater is amazing @ 7 PSI Tubliss. It will climb anything and is my new favorite rock tire. Cheap too. I'm getting away from the stiff tires like the Sedona run VERY low because the feel changes ride to ride due to working the sidewall so hard.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Marylander » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:00 am

GMP wrote:The Shinko Hybrid Cheater is amazing @ 7 PSI Tubliss. It will climb anything and is my new favorite rock tire. Cheap too. I'm getting away from the stiff tires like the Sedona run VERY low because the feel changes ride to ride due to working the sidewall so hard.

This is good to hear. All the shinko hybrid cheater reviews I've seen have been great. I've got one sitting in the garage ready for the xtrainer now. :) I'm not quite ready to move to tubliss yet (have been using the bridgestone uhd tubes for a long time).
Marylander

Postby GMP » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:24 am

I've had more flats with BStone UHDs than anything else. The tube is so heavy that inertia allows it to shift in the tire, tearing the stem out. This is more common at lower PSI and when the tire/tube is wet (lubed) on the inside from water crossings. Also in the braking direction where wheel lock up generates the highest force. We went back to just heavy duty tubes (lighter) for this reason until Tubliss.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby celler » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:47 am

GMP wrote:I've had more flats with BStone UHDs than anything else. The tube is so heavy that inertia allows it to shift in the tire, tearing the stem out. This is more common at lower PSI and when the tire/tube is wet (lubed) on the inside from water crossings. Also in the braking direction where wheel lock up generates the highest force. We went back to just heavy duty tubes (lighter) for this reason until Tubliss.

Exactly my experience with tubes. Since moving west I started using slime and went back to tubes as it is a cleaner setup than slime in tubliss.
celler

Postby Angustoyou » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:15 pm

your tube isn't moving, even with rim locks, it's your tyre that moves on the rim, dragging the tube with it. Mark your rim and tyre and you'll see the proof. Quite a few UK riders use two rim locks to stop it.
Angustoyou

Postby Marylander » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:46 pm

I have never had a flat with a bridgestone uhd tube. They last forever for me. They will be full of rubber balls over time from friction but that's about it... ;)
Marylander

Postby Dyrtmon » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:55 pm

I've been running Tubliss for several years, my only failure was on the rear, call Jeff at Nuetech and he sent my a new system FREE as he said the tape was to blame - what customer service! Have not had a failure since.
I will say that at times I have been remiss to check the red high pressure tube pressure and it has performed flawlessly with pressures down to 50 PSI (yes, I can be lazy) and I do run Slime......Have never had a flat, and ride in very extreme conditions at times.

I run 4-5 PSI in the rear on a Sedona 907, and 11 in the front (Dunlop M32 or52).

These days I do make sure that the high pressure tube is over 100 PSI BTW....

Great product IMO.
2013 300 RR
2009 KTM 300 XCW
2015 Husqvarna FE350
Dyrtmon

Postby 454X » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:52 pm

Do you guys run slime in the high pressure tube?
2014 BETA 300RR W/36MM LECTRON.
2012 HUSQVARNA CR165WB W/36MM LECTRON.
454X

Postby mtdirtbag » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:24 am

No
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Next

Return to Product Reviews