Racing wire harness

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Racing wire harness

Postby the sloth » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:06 am

Here are just a couple of notes from my recent racing harness swap. I was bugged with the birds nest of wires on the bike. Granted you may want all of them if you plan on riding on highways, but in Calif. that can never happen. I've always had off road only bikes so I'm used to minimal wiring but usually they have had headlights.
1. The cost, $140.00 isn't too steep, but you could consider just cutting off all the unneeded wires and switches.
2. It takes a few hours to remove and re-route the new harness.
3. There is no connection for a headlight ,so you'll need to locate, and splice in a power and ground wire. Then you will need to decide if you want a switch or have the light on while the bike is running. I decided to stay with the light always on.
4. It'll take a while to become familiar with the new kill switch location.
5. It does give you more room on the handle bars if you need to mount a gps or whatever.
6. There is no connection for the throttle position sensor so you cannot use the race harness if you plan on keeping oil injection. I don't trust oil injection and since my bike is a race edition so I was fine with that.
7. If you want to remove the tps and cap it off on the carb, you'll need to spend another $40 for the cool red anodized cap that is offered as an option.
the sloth

Re: Racing wire harness

Postby Hyde » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:04 am

The Boano harness keeps the light and is less expensive
23" 250RE
21' 350RE
20', 200rr, gone
20', 250rr, Ye-haw !
18', 250rr,gone
18' 125rr, KYB forks, gone
16' 250rr, KYB forks-sold
15' 250rr RE-sold
14' 450rr, gone
14' 250rr-sold
14' 450rr KYB forks.
Hyde

Postby F5 Dave » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:29 am

Both have dumb uninsulated buttons. Fine if you live somewhere dry I guess. I just bought pattern YZ kill switch and a pattern ktm starter button. Poking out the pins to swap I could even reuse the supplied connector without butchering the OEM part.

Last ride we had dozens of small creek crossings. On the second lap my fingers started buzzing every 8th time I grabbed the brake lever with wet gloves. Hence above upgrade to proven dirtbike technology. If you can call common sense 'technology '.
21 XTrainer
F5 Dave

Postby fenderworks » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:57 pm

HA!
fenderworks
fenderworks

Return to Product Reviews