Motoz trials/knobby hybrid tire

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Re: Motoz trials/knobby hybrid tire

Postby GMP » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:55 am

Yes, but thats not the gummy compound, which is what sets the 216X apart. May be a fine tire, never tried one.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Balkan boy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:09 pm

There is a 523X.
It's expensive.
400RR
Balkan boy

Postby webmaster » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:36 pm

I am looking at a trials tire partly for durability and performance. Les and I are friends with the forest rangers in the cle elum national forest and they all run trials tires to reduce trail erosion. And they like others to do the same. Thinking about doing the same in the national forests this summer - gifford pinchot and cle elum... The moto-z looks like a great hybrid tire - apparently they use a hard compound - but they do use natural rubber in some of their tires which gives them better grip.

jeff
Webmaster
Beta Riders Club
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby onegreyghost » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:55 pm

All the guys I ride with were using everything from trials tires to IRC M5B we live in the U.S. Tennesse actually and probably ride in one of the most difficult areas in the state. We have it all from deep mud, rocky creek beds to root infested hills even snow all I am saying is its really good even with the short knobs. Purchase one and you will be amazed. Look at Romaniacs and Hells gate most are running them
onegreyghost

Postby GMP » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:32 pm

Jeff,

If you want good performance and longevity, and can live with the cornering limits, an MT43 is fine. Tubliss @5PSI makes it a lot better. I'll keep you posted on the MotoZ.

A couple WA state boys turned me on to TTs years ago, before they were the fad, and more commonly available.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Knox Enduro » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:56 pm

I have already sold 10 Motoz Hybrids, but only one guy has tried one yet. He said it would climb just about anything, but was a little sketchy in deep mud. I don't see it so much as a mud tire, but believe it will work very well in rocks and roots and last a long time. I have another customer that is a long time Motoz user and he believes they tend to work better after 3-4 rides when other tires are starting to go off. May have something to do with the natural rubber getting softer.
Knox Enduro

Postby flybars » Mon May 11, 2015 10:48 am

I'd like to see some ride reports on the Motoz hybrid rear tire. Should be someone using one by now?
'14 300rr
flybars

Postby GMP » Mon May 11, 2015 12:13 pm

Not to bash but I just did not like the tire. Traction was good but the weight and size could be felt in turns and it bounced a lot over rocks and logs. I called my buddy from the woods who knows a guy that ran a prototype for awhile, and the scoop was to run 2 PSI for best results. That helped with tracking but the tire just feels big like it is. It does climb well and it was better in mud than expected, but no better than an MT16 @ 7 PSI. I think this will be a good tire for a bigger heavier bike, like a bigger 4stroke bike used for DS. It just feels out of sync with a light 2stroke. What they should do is offer a more narrow version with perhaps slightly softer sidewalls as the tire is very stiff. Its rated as a 120 but its a lot bigger than any other 120 I've had. JMO.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Darkside » Mon May 11, 2015 2:08 pm

I mounted the hybrid on my ktm 450 dualsport. Only one 300 mile ride on so far. As mentioned by Glenn, it's a big heavy tire. Much bigger than the knobby it replaced. I normally run the tire up close to keep the wheel base short, had to put on a longer chain to gain clearance. As a positive, it wears very well. My buddy that put on a new dunlop knobby at the same time as me has significantly more wear from the combo fire road/pavement ride. Can't comment about traction as it was a pretty easy dualsport.
Randy
2018 390 rrs, 2014 300 rr re, 2010 ktm 450 exc
Darkside

Postby 300rrracer » Mon May 11, 2015 3:44 pm

I am pretty excited to try this tire. I love all the different reviews but I want to try this myself for some reason.
I'll be mounting it on my 300rr with a michelin mousse. Lots of climbing roots and rocks. Lower speed single track stuff. I don't know if it will be a good match but I already have it now and it looks the part. I'll report back soon!
300rrracer

PreviousNext

Return to Product Reviews