Re: Motoz trials/knobby hybrid tire

Postby ossi » Thu May 21, 2015 9:11 am

HRRacing wrote:Here's some tire info from Internet:

Michelin Trial X Light 12lbs
Dunlop D803 12.7lbs
Kenda Equilibrium 13.6lbs
Pirelli MT43 14.5lbs
MotoZ Hybrid 15.8lbs

So, MotoZ is 2.1lbs heavier than the new Kenda. Not a deal breaker for me. I went from the Pirelli MT43, so only 1.3lbs heavier. Didn't notice a difference.

Thanks, I will try the Michelin next time.
Big bore YZ, to 350 EXC to 300X
ossi

Postby GMP » Thu May 21, 2015 10:16 am

FWIW, I have run all the TTs over the last 12 years or so. The Mich is very sticky but paper thin and the worst choice for reliability on a woods bike in the rocks. IRC not much better. Dunlop and Vee Rubber better, Mitas the toughest of the radials. Then the Pirelli bias ply MT43. On a trials bike yes lighter is better for sure. I assume you will ride in technical rocks as otherwise no reason to run a TT. I need to find a Mitas ET-01 for a good price.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby ricoyam » Thu May 21, 2015 8:24 pm

GMP wrote:FWIW, I have run all the TTs over the last 12 years or so. The Mich is very sticky but paper thin and the worst choice for reliability on a woods bike in the rocks. IRC not much better. Dunlop and Vee Rubber better, Mitas the toughest of the radials. Then the Pirelli bias ply MT43. On a trials bike yes lighter is better for sure. I assume you will ride in technical rocks as otherwise no reason to run a TT. I need to find a Mitas ET-01 for a good price.

I agree with Glenn on the Mich and IRC trials tires. The very thing that makes them great trials tires make them poor trail tires.
I've yet to try a Motoz but as was said previously I'd think it's not the Holy Grail, one size fits all tire. I don't think any one tire can do everything. If there were such a tire all the pro MX guys wouldn't need a rack of wheels and tires in their trailers. If it weren't for dual sporting I would probably stick with a non DOT knobby. In fact I have some I'm probably going to stick on my bike just so I can get a better feel for the bike on better rubber.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby GMP » Fri May 22, 2015 5:58 am

I think the MMH would be a perfect DS tire. It seems to wear like iron, unlike knobbys on the street that just get trashed, or if you start with a hard durable compound then your compromised anyway. TTs on the road are just too soft, flex too much and get too hot, except for the Pirelli. The MMH doesn't flex anywhere near as much in the sidewall so should run good on the road. Even on the 300 at events like the big 2 day Quarry Run dual sport in Hancock, NY, with some long road sections and a lot of very long rocky climbs covered in sharp bluestone it would be great, far less cut/flat prone, and have run flat capability with Tubliss with almost no compromise, as its best near 0 PSI anyway.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Magile » Fri May 22, 2015 4:26 pm

HRRacing wrote:Here's some tire info from Internet:
Michelin Trial X Light 12lbs
Dunlop D803 12.7lbs
Kenda Equilibrium 13.6lbs
Pirelli MT43 14.5lbs
MotoZ Hybrid 15.8lbs

I just weighed a DOT GT 257 - 4.00 x 18 on a digital bathroom scale = 11 pounds
Honestly I don't trust the #, but is does compares well to the other "hybrid" & trails rubber.
It's going on the X-Trainer as soon as it arrives. Will let you know how it goes at Hatfield McCoy http://www.hatfieldmccoyresort.com/mccoy-pig-farm.html

http://www.goldentyre.com/en/dt_portfolio/gt-257-trial-hybrid/
Magile

Postby betajuice » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:29 pm

i've had the motoz hybrid on the RR300 for a few rides now and very impressed so far. it has quite a stiff carcass so running between zero to 3psi with the TUbliss setup and the grip has been brilliant. finally got to try it on some steep loamy climbs where i figured it couldn't be as good as a knobby.

in a way it wasn't if i just tried to roost my way to the top, but if i just backed off the throttle enough so it was only just starting to spin the grip was still great and matched that of a knobby. took a while to get used to modulating the throttle carefully to do that though. the hills in question are in the vid below.

https://youtu.be/VZH7wZbXV0k

still have yet to test it in mud though, i suspect that will have to be the achilles heel with this sort of tire, although i've heard it's still pretty good. just waiting for some rain now...
betajuice

Postby Dirt Dud » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:28 pm

No the tires may help a little on some of those climbs , but no tire would help get my old butt on top of some of those hills !
2018 125 RR
Dirt Dud

Postby betajuice » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:41 pm

Long-term review on the Motoz Hybrid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7UdxWD1XLY

i had so many guys on youtube asking my opinion on this tire i finally went out and put one one. the above vid is my impressions after about 20 rides in all sorts of terrain.

there will never be a perfect all round tire but i reckon this one would have to come close... worked incredibly well with the TUbliss system, i've just left it at zero psi for our slower technicals and the grip has been amazing. i'm happy to have a slightly heavier tire that allows this sort of low pressure riding.
betajuice

Postby Darkside » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:43 am

running 0-3 psi? aren't you worried about damaging your rim?
Randy
2018 390 rrs, 2014 300 rr re, 2010 ktm 450 exc
Darkside

Postby betajuice » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:50 am

i rarely hit rims, the TUbliss firms up the already stiff sidewalls of the goldentyre fatty front and the motoz hybrid rear, so in real terms 0psi is probably closer to 4psi. then if we do faster rides i'll bump it up to 4psi so in effect i'm running 8psi.

both tires are built to run really well on low pressures and absorb big hits well.

if anyone was heavier than me, their bike was heavier, or they rode very aggressively, they'd need to add some more psi that what i've been running of course.
betajuice

PreviousNext

Return to Product Reviews