Flexx handlebars: flexible bars for arm pump tendonitis etc?

Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Flexx handlebars: flexible bars for arm pump tendonitis etc?

Postby betajuice » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:11 pm

Faastco Flexx handlebars video review: https://youtu.be/mk64AyqUICI

us old codgers have to try all sorts of stuff to make this dirt riding easier on our creaking bodies lol!

flexx bars use pivot points in the handlebars to provide extra suspension for your arms and reduce vibration too. they DO work, and extremely well in terrain that jars the wrists especially. if anyone has issues with their hands, wrists, arms or shoulders these bars can be a massive help - assuming you've tried the usual fixes.

for everyone else? i'd say it would be best to get your forks sorted first, but you might want to look at these if you do a lot of tough terrain that bounces you around a lot. you definitely don't have to hang on to the bars as tightly so i can see why a lot of guys say the flexx bars reduce their arm pump.

the downside? they are twice the weight of normal bars (and also their competitor, the twisted engineering flexible bars). the unusual design leaves less room to fit mounts for a gps or phone, and i couldn't fit my clake 2 setup, but could fit the clake one light clutch thankfully.

they are expensive but well worth it if you have upper body issues. i personally think there are other thing to look at first before getting flexible bars...

Last edited by betajuice on Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
betajuice

Re: Flexx handlebars: flexible bars for arm pump tendonitis

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:18 pm

Thanks for posting! Looks good.. lately been having some right pinky finger nerve damage or something.. it doesn't want to do what I want it to as much and is numb a bit. I think it's related to riding and also an elbow injury from a year ago.. but idk. I've thought of this mod but just haven't been able to make the leap because of thw weight and the price.. and my bars seem ok.. but thinking of getting these more and more seriously as age creeps up.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby GMP » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:30 pm

This topic has been beaten up pretty good here, with some in each camp. The biggest difference is the TE bars flex in all directions, the FBs in the plane of the fork movement, and are adjustable. I've been running the same set of Flexxbars for three years years on two different bikes and like them. I run the stiffer elastomers as I don't like to feel the bars move, just like the edge taken off the real big sharp hits. I do not notice any weight difference over standard bars at all, it's really not a big deal. I suspect the TE bars are tough, no one here has had any issues. I know the FlexxBars are.
One thing I can see being a potential issue with Flexxbars for you Barry is the forward angle you rotate your bars. They only pivot in one direction and this should be relatively close to the angle of the fork tubes. I don't like my bars rotated forward so no issue here but you may be defeating some of the flex.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby bikepoor » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:53 pm

Buddy of mine snapped his flexbars off in a pretty gnarley tumble. No subframe damage. But bars completely snapped off about 2 inches outboard of clamps. Very odd. Tried to include a pic but keep getting error message.
bikepoor

Postby Hyde » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:34 pm

All you need to do is ride a bike with carbon bars and your questions will be answered.

If you like tall bars Flexx bars are decent, but heavier than most bars and a little goofy when mounting stuff like enduro computer, GPS ect. and there is maintenance need on the pivots and polymer pads, and I prefer lower or normal height bars and all of the Flexx bars seem taller than standard.

Full disclosurer: I did break a set of TE bars a couple weeks ago, throttle stuck on the face of a jump, one side snapped clean off, it left a blunt mushy end that I would gladly take to my flesh rather than the jagged end of a snapped off ProTaper, which I have broken before also from a stuck throttle.

I already have a new TE bar to replace my two piece version.
23' 430RE
23' 250RE
21' 350RE
20', 200rr, gone
20', 250rr, Ye-haw !
18', 250rr,gone
18' 125rr, KYB forks, gone
16' 250rr, KYB forks-sold
15' 250rr RE-sold
14' 450rr, gone
14' 250rr-sold
14' 450rr KYB forks.
Hyde

Postby betajuice » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:20 am

GMP wrote:....
One thing I can see being a potential issue with Flexxbars for you Barry is the forward angle you rotate your bars. They only pivot in one direction and this should be relatively close to the angle of the fork tubes. I don't like my bars rotated forward so no issue here but you may be defeating some of the flex....

a good point but in our training chris birch suggested i should adopt the correct body positioning and not push the bars forward if i could help it so all is good in that respect now.

Hyde wrote:...Full disclosurer: I did break a set of TE bars a couple weeks ago, throttle stuck on the face of a jump, one side snapped clean off, it left a blunt mushy end that I would gladly take to my flesh rather than the jagged end of a snapped off ProTaper, which I have broken before also from a stuck throttle...

that's good to hear, i hope they all break like that. pure carbon fiber can become a lethal scalpel!
betajuice

Postby GMP » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:23 am

Its a good idea to inspect bars periodically. I found a 1" crack in the first bend of a set of ProTapers, on the bottom not easily visible. :o Flaws are likely not always visible especially with the more complex bars but it doesn't hurt to check.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Enmerdeur » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:12 pm

Hyde wrote:If you like tall bars Flexx bars are decent, but heavier than most bars and a little goofy when mounting stuff like enduro computer, GPS ect. and there is maintenance need on the pivots and polymer pads, and I prefer lower or normal height bars and all of the Flexx bars seem taller than standard.

Flexx bar heights are standard heights. They are no taller than normal bars. They even have a super low version for using with under dampers

And as far as maintenance that you mentioned, that is no longer the case with the current versions.
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Re: Flexx & Twisted Engineering handlebars

Postby betajuice » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:31 pm

flexx have a bewildering array of options but they give a lot of advice about ergonomics if wanted... they just asked a pile of questions and said they'd whip up the correct combo of parts to suit my height and riding style which worked great.

fast response to emails was great too... i sent quite a few email enquiries through to twisted engineering but didn't hear back so not sure if there was a glitch in the email system or not.
betajuice

Return to Product Reviews